Whine noise from belt area.

I had to hold my phone toy ear to here it. I'll try and get onother today .

I have a hard time believing it's the belt making the noise anymore. When I out my stethoscope on the tensioner pulley I do hear some grinding though. I just hate throwing parts at it but it's hard to pinpoint the noise, that's still assuming the noise isn't normal .

i dont think that sounds like mine at all, if it does that one is much worse and would be easy to find the cause. also i used a stethoscope already to listen to the pulleys. i cant hear the whine from any of them really, heard it more on the back of the alternator which is why i replaced it already. i can hear some grinding from the tensioner and idler. i might end up replacing both and the belt. odds are it wont fix this though.

it's a different car & pitch, but the "whine" is increasing just like yours when it's put under load in the 2nd video you posted.

Tensioner , idler , and belt will be installed tomorrow.

Replaced tensioner and belt. Was given wrong idler so reinstalled old one. Noise is still there. If I was smart I would have taken the belt off and checked for the noise with it off. Going to have to try that next. Getting tired of throwing parts at it .I should know better .

What a waste of time and money .took the belt off and started the car .noise is still there .would love to know what's making this noise.

What a waste of time and money .took the belt off and started the car .noise is still there .would love to know what's making this noise.
I'm honestly stumped here then. I'll leave this to @webby I'm sure he may have something else to ad on.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

I feel like it's just a normal noise at this point, only thing I can think of is the timing chain or oil pump. But it seems like most si owners have this noise from new.

I feel like it's just a normal noise at this point, only thing I can think of is the timing chain or oil pump. But it seems like most si owners have this noise from new.
Are you using 0W-20? From what I've heard form some SI owners is that they tend to use 5W-30 which helps with "The noise". What noise, I'm not sure. Its possible they could be referring to your noise. At the same time, I wouldn't recommend switching to a thicker oil, I've always been one to stick with what's in the owners manual.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

but the old idler is still on the car correct? Did you spin it when you had the belt off?

Old idler still on .I've spun it several times now. Like I said. Noise is still there with the belt off so I just left the idler on.

No idea what oil is In it to be honest. Oil change was done at the dealer before I bought it and I would assume they would use 0w20 .

I wouldn't use any different .I've got like 8 cases of 0w20 sitting in my garage I've collected over a year from work. .5 a liter saved from each car accumulated quickly .

I have a hard time believing it's a timing chain noise. I put my stethoscope on the timing cover several times and heard nothing .Never listen to the oil pan. Can sort of hear it on the intake runners. From the money I wasted I could have bought extra strut mounts for my coil overs so I wouldn't have to reuse my current stuff.

So I decided to try and pinpoint the noise today at lunch. I have it down to either the cam gear/front valve cover area or oil pump. Yeah, two very different areas. The noise is bugging me so much that I'm considering trading the car in for a new si sedan if I can get a good deal. If not I'll be making an appointment to get it checked as it still has power train warranty . Not sure why the cam gears would make noise. I've never taken apart one of these engines. I've talked to a Honda tech I know from another forum and he's never heard this noise.

It's embarrassing driving this thing In town . All I can hear is this stupid whine.

Back