Why do people buy LX civics and then spend like 10k on RICE?

Loppysaurusrex

Like do they not know they could've gotten an SI?

Hell with 10k you could make an LX much faster but still you could've just gotten an SI and you would've been better off with a k24

Seems silly to spend all that money to make your car LOOK fast when you could spend it to MAKE it fast

Si takes premium gas
Si is more expensive to insure
Si has higher car payments
Si only offers manual trans

All fair reasons to go with an R18

Why bother spending 10k extra on the highest trim level of Civic when you coulda upgraded to an Accord?

Some people dont wanna spend almost 30k on a Civic (Si's are much more expensive in Canada). Seems silly to buy the base model for others. It's all about what you need the car for and your personal financial situation

Si takes premium gas
Si is more expensive to insure
Si has higher car payments
Si only offers manual trans

All fair reasons to go with an R18

Why bother spending 10k extra on the highest trim level of Civic when you coulda upgraded to an Accord?

Some people dont wanna spend almost 30k on a Civic (Si's are much more expensive in Canada). Seems silly to buy the base model for others. It's all about what you need the car for and your personal financial situation

Premium gas...$3.50ish difference a tank. Fill up every other week. $91 a year. Not really a whole lot. Decreased mpg on the other hand depends on how you drive. Fully bolted/tuned and I still average about 30mpg.

Insurance...not as expensive as you would think (some insurance companies don't even differentiate the Si from the other models):

Compare insurance premiums for 2012 Honda Civic models
Premiums below are a nationwide average of rates from six major car insurance providers for a 40-year-old single man, no accidents or violations, commuting 12 miles each way to work, $500 deductible for collision and comprehensive coverages, 100/300/100 liability coverages ($100,000 inbodily injury liability coverage per person, $300,000 total per accident, and $100,000 in property damage liability coverage).

Model Style Cylinders Expected premium
Civic DX 4 Door Sedan 4 $1,281
Civic LX 4 Door Sedan 4 $1,322
Civic EX 4 Door Sedan 4 $1,363
Civic HF 4 Door Sedan 4 $1,364
Civic 4 Door Sedan 4 $1,372
Civic 4 Door Sedan Hybrid 4 $1,372
Civic LX 2 Door Coupe 4 $1,444
Civic EX 2 Door Coupe 4 $1,482
Civic SI 2 Door Coupe 4 $1,509

Higher payments are a trade-off for the money dumped into an LX/EX to make it "better." Or you could just put a bigger down payment down using the money that would have been spent on mods and get the payment closer to what an LE/EX would be.

Manual transmission...is better if you are really into performance cars.

Premium gas...$3.50ish difference a tank. Fill up every other week. $91 a year. Not really a whole lot. Decreased mpg on the other hand depends on how you drive. Fully bolted/tuned and I still average about 30mpg.

Insurance...not as expensive as you would think (some insurance companies don't even differentiate the Si from the other models):

Premiums below are a nationwide average of rates from six major car insurance providers for a 40-year-old single man, no accidents or violations, commuting 12 miles each way to work, $500 deductible for collision and comprehensive coverages, 100/300/100 liability coverages ($100,000 inbodily injury liability coverage per person, $300,000 total per accident, and $100,000 in property damage liability coverage).

Higher payments are a trade-off for the money dumped into an LX/EX to make it "better." Or you could just put a bigger down payment down using the money that would have been spent on mods and get the payment closer to what an LE/EX would be.

upload_2015-7-7_9-24-51.png

These are the prices in Canada. Over 10k more for the Si sedan than the LX sedan

I've spent about 2k in mods which were OEM extras and wouldn't qualify as 'rice'. So I'm still up 8k with lower gas and insurance

Some people (me) don't really care about performance and just need a cheap DD. And maybe they wanna spend a few hundred on some simple cosmetic mods to make the car look more appealing compared to the other 5billion civics on the road.

And if someone truly does care about power they probably aren't looking at any trim Civic to begin with

Like if we're talking about people turbo'ing R18s and adding intakes and such, yea I agree thats a waste of time and you should get an Si but lets not trash every R18 Civic owner here

Like if we're talking about people turbo'ing R18s and adding intakes and such, yea I agree thats a waste of time and you should get an Si but lets not trash every R18 Civic owner here

I believe this is exactly what @Loppysaurusrex was talking about. I didn't read it as trashing every non-Si owner. But, yes, there are a ton of people who will add "performance" mods to non-Sis.

The price difference hear is not bad at all. Such that anyone who decides to buy a non-Si and add "performance" mods has not thought things out very well.

civics.jpg

I believe this is exactly what @Loppysaurusrex was talking about. I didn't read it as trashing every non-Si owner. But, yes, there are a ton of people who will add "performance" mods to non-Sis.

The price difference hear is not bad at all. Such that anyone who decides to buy a non-Si and add "performance" mods has not thought things out very well.

View attachment 48344
Wow thats crazy. Big difference in American/Canadian pricing

Now consider the people that buy an non-Si and boost it...only to roughly get to the power level of an Si.
Yea I agree

The Canadian pricing is just out to lunch, look at it. Its almost silly to buy an Si in Canada unless you really love Hondas. At 27k+ youre getting into a way higher level of cars and are better off with something else all together. And why the hell is the LX coupe 3k more than the LX sedan? You pay 3k more to LOSE 2 doors?! Yet on the Si versions theres no difference in price between coupe/sedan

I shoulda drove down to the states and drove back with an Si. My LX cost me 21k out the door in Canada lol

The Si is pretty expensive over the other models, especially when the sales men get in their premium. The manual is for sure another reason, not every one can drive like a boss. The premium gas only makes this car better, runs cleaner and is built to take a pounding. The insurance I think is not relevant if you have a good record, I'm 28 and have had a hot rodding ticket and a minor fender bender which I had backed into someone by accident when they were illegally parked in a red zone (all state accident forgiveness, thank you ;P). Now i have progressive and I actually pay less than I did with Full coverage than I did with liability on my 1992 Toyota straight 4 Pickup. Don't ask me how but i was paying 76.15$ a month liability for the truck and when I sold and bought the Honda they gave me full coverage at 73.11$ a month. I tripped so hard I had to call them back to double check full coverage.

Note. same 500$ deductible plan

The insurance I think is not relevant if you have a good record

Insurance is relevant regardless of having a good record or not.

Insurance is a topic that gets me fired up. A lot of factors play into insurance rates. It depends on of course your driving record, policy coverage, location, vehicle (other items on policy - multi-car, home/renter insurance, ect), credit score (some say that doesn't play a role in your rates but I call BS) and I'm sure other things that I did not mention.

I'm 29 years old (will be 30 in August), live outside Baltimore, MD (in Baltimore County), married, clean driving record, 2015 Subaru WRX (previously had 2007 WRX) with 100k/300k/100k coverage - $250 deductible - Road Side Service/Car Rental

I'm around $140/month.

Don't ask me how but i was paying 76.15$ a month liability for the truck and when I sold and bought the Honda they gave me full coverage at 73.11$ a month. I tripped so hard I had to call them back to double check full coverage.

That's crazy it's so cheap especially for California.

So go to $500 deductible... Wonder what the difference in price would be. Probably not much :/ Worth checking though.

$1,000 is better if you are good with your money and have a decent savings/emergency account.

$1,000 is better if you are good with your money and have a decent savings/emergency account.

Yeah.. I have decent savings/emergency account but still wouldn't go that high ($1,000 deductible). Prob would go $500.

Yeah.. I have decent savings/emergency account but still wouldn't go that high ($1,000 deductible). Prob would go $500.
Check the price difference and do the math to see how long it would take to recoup the deductible difference.

I don't know where you get the $10 ooo.oo number from.
If you don t count things that Si people have to spend on their cars too like tint, window visors, lowering springs, etc. etc. then I would say I'm about $1000 more. Wheels, spoiler, fog lights, Si grill, intake, TBS, and Si muffler tip. Many of these mods were bought used or were gifts/prizes.

If I add up everything it's probably around $4000. Still not enough to buy an Si.

Insurance is relevant regardless of having a good record or not.

Insurance is a topic that gets me fired up. A lot of factors play into insurance rates. It depends on of course your driving record, policy coverage, location, vehicle (other items on policy - multi-car, home/renter insurance, ect), credit score (some say that doesn't play a role in your rates but I call BS) and I'm sure other things that I did not mention.

I'm 29 years old (will be 30 in August), live outside Baltimore, MD (in Baltimore County), married, clean driving record, 2015 Subaru WRX (previously had 2007 WRX) with 100k/300k/100k coverage - $250 deductible - Road Side Service/Car Rental

I'm around $140/month.

That's crazy it's so cheap especially for California.

Yea, I was thinking my insurance would go be around the 130$ range to come and find out it saved me money. Insurance doesn't make me as mad because it pays for more than you think, not only for your car but for your community. I turn 29 in August as well so we're a about year apart in age but I think insurance is cheaper in California because we don't have to deal with snow and hail that often. One thing that does piss me off is how high DMV registration is. I was paying 72$ a year to register my Toyota and I just payed for my civic and it was 247$.

I'm around $140/month.

I have similar coverage and pay $99/month

$500 deductible
100K/300K/100K

I need to get the get the quote for WRX. Hopefully my blood pressure won't go up.

Insurance doesn't make me as mad because it pays for more than you think, not only for your car but for your community.

How does it help the community? Sorry I am not following.

One thing that does piss me off is how high DMV registration is. I was paying 72$ a year to register my Toyota and I just payed for my civic and it was 247$.

I think my registration was around $135 (don't quote me). We have to do it every 2 years. They send us new stickers for 2 more years...

Back