Why do people buy LX civics and then spend like 10k on RICE?

I have similar coverage and pay $99/month

$500 deductible
100K/300K/100K

I need to get the get the quote for WRX. Hopefully my blood pressure won't go up.

$143/month with $1000 Collision deductible ouch

I have similar coverage and pay $99/month

$500 deductible
100K/300K/100K

I need to get the get the quote for WRX. Hopefully my blood pressure won't go up.

What insurance company and are you registered in Jersey or PA?

Definitely get a quote for the WRX.

I am going to see if I can raise my deductible to $500 and see what change it makes. Like @squiggy said.

All State and I'm registered in PA. For NJ my quote would be around $2000 for 6 months. I tried that back in 2012 for WRX:bleh:

How does it help the community? Sorry I am not following.

I think my registration was around $135 (don't quote me). We have to do it every 2 years. They send us new stickers for 2 more years...

Insurance companies are heavily taxed which in parts about 50% of community funding's (in general). Insurance companies also assist many in hopes to lower their tax rates aswell. your registration prices sicken me :P

All State and I'm registered in PA. For NJ my quote would be around $2000 for 6 months. I tried that back in 2012 for WRX:bleh:

I think it's our area we live in and the weather/climate...

Only $2,000 for 6 months. Pssh. I think back in 2007 when I was buying my '07 WRX Geico quoted me around $3,600/6 months! :omg:

Insurance companies are heavily taxed which in parts about 50% of community funding's. Insurance companies also assist many in hopes to lower their tax rates aswell.

So you are saying I have higher rates because insurance companies get taxed very high.. So basically they get screwed and I get screwed. :rotfl:

It's probably because in NJ most kids when they graduate from HS and go to College their parents buy them WRX/STI or EVO for their first car. Come to NJ for a week and you will see teenagers hooning around in these cars. My insurance rate dropped at least 50% when I moved to PA.

I think it's our area we live in and the weather/climate...

Only $2,000 for 6 months. Pssh. I think back in 2007 when I was buying my '07 WRX Geico quoted me around $3,600/6 months! :omg:

So you are saying I have higher rates because insurance companies get taxed very high.. So basically they get screwed and I get screwed. :rotfl:

Precisely! :P This is why I ask a reason for the DMV screwing me so hard.

Now consider the people that buy an non-Si and boost it...only to roughly get to the power level of an Si.

Lol.... and I usually try and talk them out of it! The non-Si really fights you when it comes to making power. Dropping some $$ on suspension, tires, and brakes isn't a bad way to go. The car can handle pretty well. Mines fun to drive but it is slow. Also for some people the AT is a big draw and they want the mileage over the Si.

The SC kits do make decent power with stock everything. If someone has a 5-speed the kits can make as much hp as a bolt on Si for the same $$. The AT guys are a bit limited but an MT R18 can be pretty quick with the Jackson track pack. If you bought your car used you could be way ahead on cost with the non-Si. My car was several thousand cheaper than the Si at the time I got mine.

Wasn't @Nix considering that? :hiding:

I was considering it, mostly cause I was bored and I was going to do it for trolling more than anything! hahaha. Stock looking LX with its beige interior keeping up with the guy in a fart cannoned Si.... Im sure that would tweak some guys pretty hard.

EDIT: My car stock is also ~300lbs lighter than the new Si. Thats a lot of weight. Add lightness and its even more significant.

Last edited:
Engine, brake, and suspension differences. There are several small changes throughout the car that add up in the end. On the newer cars the difference is less but still there by a fair margin. Mostly its the difference in the engine and the engine size. The spring rates are different between the Si and non-Si to compensate for th weight difference in the engine.

I debate even posting this but I'm tired of seeing this everyone someone wants to modify a non Si. That's why I stopped visiting the other forum. No we shouldn't condone autozone stick on mods but come on. Why do people with non-Si's have to keep defending themselves to people with Si's? Why does it matter to you how I spend my money?

How many people are spending 10k on RICE? What you consider RICE may just be someone else's idea of personal expression.

I bought an EX instead of an Si because it's my daily and I wanted an automatic. You can call me a b**** or pussy or whatever you want but I have my reasons, and no it's not because I can't drive a manual.
1. I commute in traffic to NYC multiple times a week and I don't enjoy doing it in a manual.
2. I travel to visit family every other month on 1,000+ mile trips which are just not as comfortable in a manual.
3. Last and most important, I have bad knees. 3 knee surgeries in 5 years means I can't drive a manual for a long duration. It just plain hurts to drive long distances and in traffic. Then it becomes dangerous when I can't react quickly.

And before you start, I know people drive manuals all the time doing exactly what I do. That doesn't mean I need to do it too.

My personal reasons aside, the money I've spent on my car isn't 10k or anything I wouldn't have done to an Si. Suspension mods make the car safer and more enjoyable to drive. The car might accelerate slow but it still goes 100+mph like an Si. I can't even accelerate fast where I live because I'll just rear-end someone. But I still need to stop and avoid collisions.

Yes I've done cosmetic RICE mods. I don't need a body kit, fog lights, green emblems or green door inserts. Just because I don't have an Si means I can't express my personal style?

No I didn't need a tune, or CAI, or HFP muffler. But it's part of my style and i prefer the way it drives like that.

I debated a super charger because I'm bored with the car and I thought it would be fun to do the work. I might drive a car with a small engine and an automatic transmission. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy working on cars. I'm just as much of an enthusiast as the next person. This is why I don't go to car shows and meets anymore. I'm tired of people looking down on me because I have an automatic. My automatic is fast enough when I want it to be. No it's not a fast car but I don't think an Si is all that fast either.

Your comments are just as ignorant as domestic muscle car owners hating imports. Just because it's not your personal taste doesn't make it right for you to hate.

End of rant.

I agree with @Twitch, although I'm really not concerned with what haters think about anything(being 70 yo).

I do like to personalize my car to my liking, none of which is to make it a go-faster, just some handling mods. The rest of the mods are for looks and comfort.

As for choosing a Auto-matic....... I've been driving nothing but st all my driving life(1957 thru 2012), 55 years(including OTR semi's).....
I'm F'n tired of ST's..... But I still use the AT gears to get what I want at the time I'm doing what-ever, and it's actually fun to have the AT to add another learning curve to my "How-too" tranny capability's.

I debate even posting this but I'm tired of seeing this everyone someone wants to modify a non Si. That's why I stopped visiting the other forum. No we shouldn't condone autozone stick on mods but come on. Why do people with non-Si's have to keep defending themselves to people with Si's? Why does it matter to you how I spend my money?

How many people are spending 10k on RICE? What you consider RICE may just be someone else's idea of personal expression.

I bought an EX instead of an Si because it's my daily and I wanted an automatic. You can call me a b**** or pussy or whatever you want but I have my reasons, and no it's not because I can't drive a manual.
1. I commute in traffic to NYC multiple times a week and I don't enjoy doing it in a manual.
2. I travel to visit family every other month on 1,000+ mile trips which are just not as comfortable in a manual.
3. Last and most important, I have bad knees. 3 knee surgeries in 5 years means I can't drive a manual for a long duration. It just plain hurts to drive long distances and in traffic. Then it becomes dangerous when I can't react quickly.

And before you start, I know people drive manuals all the time doing exactly what I do. That doesn't mean I need to do it too.

My personal reasons aside, the money I've spent on my car isn't 10k or anything I wouldn't have done to an Si. Suspension mods make the car safer and more enjoyable to drive. The car might accelerate slow but it still goes 100+mph like an Si. I can't even accelerate fast where I live because I'll just rear-end someone. But I still need to stop and avoid collisions.

Yes I've done cosmetic RICE mods. I don't need a body kit, fog lights, green emblems or green door inserts. Just because I don't have an Si means I can't express my personal style?

No I didn't need a tune, or CAI, or HFP muffler. But it's part of my style and i prefer the way it drives like that.

I debated a super charger because I'm bored with the car and I thought it would be fun to do the work. I might drive a car with a small engine and an automatic transmission. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy working on cars. I'm just as much of an enthusiast as the next person. This is why I don't go to car shows and meets anymore. I'm tired of people looking down on me because I have an automatic. My automatic is fast enough when I want it to be. No it's not a fast car but I don't think an Si is all that fast either.

Your comments are just as ignorant as domestic muscle car owners hating imports. Just because it's not your personal taste doesn't make it right for you to hate.

End of rant.
Well first off you don't have to be so defensive this is a simple discussion.

I just don't see the point in making a car with 143 horsepower look aggressive and make it look like a show car.

Honda designed the car to be a economical commuter car, and that is why the majority of the population will shake their heads when they see your car, you're making it something it's not.

Well first off you don't have to be so defensive this is a simple discussion.

I just don't see the point in making a car with 143 horsepower look aggressive and make it look like a show car.

Honda designed the car to be a economical commuter car, and that is why the majority of the population will shake their heads when they see your car, you're making it something it's not.

I'm not going to get into "which cars I think" peeps should or shouldn't try to make work/look different, since everyone has different taste/opinions about everything, same reason DNA is different for everyone.

The best thing is to tell them how nice it is, and leave it at that. My Mother told me as a boy, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".

We are now living in the world of cell phone/social media.... where it comes to easy to say what we want with out getting punched in the nose..... But, there are peeps that are hurt from our negative comments, and we aren't gaining anything by picking on them.

For me it was what I could afford with the income I had at the time and I really needed a reliable car so I settled for the lx trim. The mods I'm doing aren't rice in my opinion. They just minor stuff to make it look nicer. None of the super riced exhaust or spoilers for me!

Later on I'm selling my lx for an si or the type r when it comes out.

Back