Why do people buy LX civics and then spend like 10k on RICE?

I'm not going to get into "which cars I think" peeps should or shouldn't try to make work/look different, since everyone has different taste/opinions about everything, same reason DNA is different for everyone.

The best thing is to tell them how nice it is, and leave it at that. My Mother told me as a boy, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".

We are now living in the world of cell phone/social media.... where it comes to easy to say what we want with out getting punched in the nose..... But, there are peeps that are hurt from our negative comments, and we aren't gaining anything by picking on them.
I am not trying to offend any sensitive people I am merely wondering what they're trying to achieve by RICE'ing out their car (appropriate context)

Also you can't assault someone for making fun of your car.

I am not trying to offend any sensitive people I am merely wondering what they're trying to achieve by RICE'ing out their car (appropriate context)

I'm not trying to get on you for what you said, but you can see from what I did say that it put you on defense, and that is my point, where you might think it's just a question others might take it personal.

On the subject of, "You can't assault someone for making fun of your car"....... Actually, you can. You might or might not get taken to court for it, but there are peeps that hit 1st and go to court later. I've seen it happen many times,

I would trade for being new to this world and having to learn everything I know now for being young again. Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt. Not picking on you, just trying to get people to think how other peeps feel when "WE" say something we think is just a comment.

If youre gonna say adding cosmetic mods to a 143hp Civic LX is rice then so is adding mods to a 200hp Civic Si. Neither are sports cars.

It doesn't matter though, people like to customize their cars and make them look their best because it's FUN

So a sports utility vehicle is a sports car?

Times, they are a changing. For instance, a Jag xke is not a sports car, it's a sport touring car.
I don't know which country started it, but somewhere in time, the word sport became a selling point, and they started putting sport on everything, completely ignoring the true classifications of vehicle types... Much to my dislike.

I think the 1st time I saw sport miss used(in my opinion, of course), was somewhere in the mid 60's when they came out with the Chevy Camaro SS(Super sport), although they didn't come out right and call it a sports car, it did change the classification to where people could expect to except sport on pretty much anything built from then on.

Although I've learned to live with it(OCD:D), I prefer to try and place vehicles in the old standard of types...... Though I wouldn't be arguing with anyone that they are wrong about their own cars. Just because it's the way I view it doesn't mean I'm correct.

So a sports utility vehicle is a sports car?

Times, they are a changing. For instance, a Jag xke is not a sports car, it's a sport touring car.
I don't know which country started it, but somewhere in time, the word sport became a selling point, and they started putting sport on everything, completely ignoring the true classifications of vehicle types... Much to my dislike.

I think the 1st time I saw sport miss used(in my opinion, of course), was somewhere in the mid 60's when they came out with the Chevy Camaro SS(Super sport), although they didn't come out right and call it a sports car, it did change the classification to where people could expect to except sport on pretty much anything built from then on.

Although I've learned to live with it(OCD:D), I prefer to try and place vehicles in the old standard of types...... Though I wouldn't be arguing with anyone that they are wrong about their own cars. Just because it's the way I view it doesn't mean I'm correct.

The concept of a sports car has changed considerably from the days of the classification meaning an expensive two-seater primarily meant for racing. Now we have super-cars, hyper-cars, and race cars to fit those classifications. To me a modern sports car is one designed to be enjoyed when driven spiritedly. i.e. higher horsepower, suspension upgrades, MT, etc (edit: in comparison to what is available at the time)

Last edited:
The R18 with a few mods added can be pretty quick. That weight difference and different gearing can make a big difference. Lighter wheels, good tires, suspension, and a couple engine mods to help it respond quicker can make a big difference.

Heres a 9th R18 beating an 8th Si at the strip. Spending some $$ on it isn't a terrible idea nor is it rice. The car has the same chassis and can handle equally well as the Si. The only difference in these cars is the engine.

If horsepower makes the difference in what a sports car is then the CRX no longer counts despite being dominant at auto-x. Older cars have far less horsepower than the new non-Si civics.

Is this not a sportscar then because I can spank this 95hp with my 140hp no problem.

MGB_harvest_gold.JPG

Rice is stick on hood vents, 19" wheels, and auto zone wings.

Also someone call @07TLX - If you can beat this guy at the dragon then you can say the R18 is not fast. He will annihilate you.

That's why they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks..... :D When actually we can! Of course I still call SUV's Station wagons...:D

Terminology[edit]

"Sports car: an open, low-built, fast motor car,"[9] such as this Ariel Atom
A car may be a sporting automobile without being a sports car. Performance modifications of regular, production cars, such as sport compacts, sports sedans, muscle cars, hot hatches and the like, generally are not considered sports cars, yet share traits common to sports cars. They are sometimes called "sports cars" for marketing purposes for increased advertising and promotional purposes.[10] Performance cars of various configurations are grouped as Sports and Grand tourer cars or, occasionally, as performance cars.

I think it's really at what point in time we were born, or at least the year we started taking an interest in cars, and were excepting the sport logo of that era......... In my case it was when I was living in England in the late 60's.......

Terminology[edit]

"Sports car: an open, low-built, fast motor car,"[9] such as this Ariel Atom
A car may be a sporting automobile without being a sports car. Performance modifications of regular, production cars, such as sport compacts, sports sedans, muscle cars, hot hatches and the like, generally are not considered sports cars, yet share traits common to sports cars. They are sometimes called "sports cars" for marketing purposes for increased advertising and promotional purposes.[10] Performance cars of various configurations are grouped as Sports and Grand tourer cars or, occasionally, as performance cars.

Good ol wikipedia and someone trying to spin their views as fact. Take a look at the reference used. Definition is from 1968.

[9]Shorter Oxford English Dictionary. II (N-Z) (3rd ed.). Oxford University Press. 1968 [1956].

Definitions/meanings of words change over time. Generally, the colloquial version is what is understood by most. In this case, the use of marketing has caused a shift in the meaning of the "sports car."

I agree with the definition and what a modern sports car is, in general. But I have to disagree with the main point of this thread which is that modding a non-Si civic is RICE.

The expectation for a fun car to drive can be easily achieved with a non-Si by adding a few things to it to change the character from your grandmas grocery getter to a tight handling "sporty" vehicle. Certainly the engine is a bit lacking but other than that, I don't think upgrading a few things here and there is rice.

I also think making the car look better is not rice. Certain cosmetic mods are rice but for the most part a few visual upgrades aren't some huge offense either. I do take issue with people sticking Si badges on their car or type R badges. I will say pretty much anything from auto zone is rice.

I think some of the stance cars look pretty awesome and a lot of those guys drive the R18 version. I chose the AT because of my commute when I was car shopping. I was sick of the stick in my Accord. Would you say my car is rice? :tongue:

I agree with the definition and what a modern sports car is, in general. But I have to disagree with the main point of this thread which is that modding a non-Si civic is RICE.

The expectation for a fun car to drive can be easily achieved with a non-Si by adding a few things to it to change the character from your grandmas grocery getter to a tight handling "sporty" vehicle. Certainly the engine is a bit lacking but other than that, I don't think upgrading a few things here and there is rice.

I also think making the car look better is not rice. Certain cosmetic mods are rice but for the most part a few visual upgrades aren't some huge offense either. I do take issue with people sticking Si badges on their car or type R badges. I will say pretty much anything from auto zone is rice.

I took the post to infer people that are trying to make a non-Si appear to be an Si. Nothing more. Nothing less. Rice is subjective and, along with the meaning of "sports car," changes over time.

Would you say my car is rice? :tongue:

Only those headlights! :D

People in this thread are getting way too defensive and salty

I did not intend for this to happen haha

Hahahahah :owned:........ they are no longer functional! Well the rice part. I tore all the wires out a couple weeks ago. As of now they are just a plain projector retrofit.

Its all good man. People should feel free to do what they want with their cars, we all have our own opinions on it but I'm pretty sure we all know rice when we see it. real rice I mean....

Real Rice:

c7fd4f5ff7fc0c4a7c982849e68c13d0.jpg

Not to worry..... The main characters in this discussion are friends and not taking any of this badly. But a lot of times a Thread will get side tracked because it brings something to mind that we enjoy discussing, and not the fault of the OP.

Reactions: Nix
Back