Why I should, or Shouldn't get a 2013 SI Sedan

TaterSalad

Alright guys and gals here's the deal. I"m about 95% sure that a 2013 Civic SI is the vehicle for me in the spring.

TLDR;
Tell me why I SHOULD get a civic SI, also tell me why I shouldn't

Wall of text:
What I have: I have an 01 LX 2 door that was literally a church/grocery car for the first 1/2 of it's life and basically a commuter car for the second half. I think I'm at about 60k miles right now. It's been solid for 15 years, my mom had a honda for 12 years and it posed no major issues. My current vehicle can probably use a suspension refresh (Age), timing belt/water pump, fluid flush and replace, and emissions things are going to go south. I already need to replace the stabalizer endlink (clunk), and the evap solenoid (CEL) before I try and sell it. Also as I get older (in my 30's) I'm having a problem ploping my 6' body into seats that sit almost on the ground.

What I want: A car I can hold on to for 6-7 years that will provide me some entertainment while driving it.. When I drive our sienna and it's more fun than my car it makes me sad. Something that's peppy but not riddled with a history of unnecessarily shitty design (nearly every Generation of golf usually starts with "well if you get [major repair] done and the better part done by 30k you'll be okay"). I'm looking at the 4 door sedan because I have kids and it'd be nice to be able to stick their seats in the back / take them places in a pinch. As well as a car that's easier to get in and out of, when my wife and I go places we typically default to the van because it's comfortable.

I want you guys/gals to tell me why a civic SI is great, and why I should avoid one.

Last edited:
Honestly it's a great all around daily car. Enough power to be fun when you want it to and reliable so that you know it's going to start every time. I've had no real issues other than normal wear items on any of the 3 Hondas I've owned, my 2014 civic si being one of them.

You might want to get a new 10th generation 2016. ?
It's getting a lot of compliments/awards and the 2016 non Si is supposedly even faster than the 9th Gen Si. I guess it depends on your budget.

You can't go wrong either way IMO. The 2013 is a quality car and fun to drive.

image.jpg

Alright guys and gals here's the deal. I"m about 95% sure that a 2013 Civic SI is the vehicle for me in the spring.

TLDR;
Tell me why I SHOULD get a civic SI, also tell me why I shouldn't

Wall of text:
What I have: I have an 01 LX 2 door that was literally a church/grocery car for the first 1/2 of it's life and basically a commuter car for the second half. I think I'm at about 60k miles right now. It's been solid for 15 years, my mom had a honda for 12 years and it posed no major issues. My current vehicle can probably use a suspension refresh (Age), timing belt/water pump, fluid flush and replace, and emissions things are going to go south. I already need to replace the stabalizer endlink (clunk), and the evap solenoid (CEL) before I try and sell it. Also as I get older (in my 30's) I'm having a problem ploping my 6' body into seats that sit almost on the ground.

What I want: A car I can hold on to for 6-7 years that will provide me some entertainment while driving it.. When I drive our sienna and it's more fun than my car it makes me sad. Something that's peppy but not riddled with a history of unnecessarily shitty design (nearly every Generation of golf usually starts with "well if you get [major repair] done and the better part done by 30k you'll be okay"). I'm looking at the 4 door sedan because I have kids and it'd be nice to be able to stick their seats in the back / take them places in a pinch. As well as a car that's easier to get in and out of, when my wife and I go places we typically default to the van because it's comfortable.

I want you guys/gals to tell me why a civic SI is great, and why I should avoid one.

The '13 Si - sedan only - is a great choice. If money is no object and with 2 kids a '16 Civic Touring might be a better choice. Either way fun and dependability await you.

A 13 sedan isn't my only option.. I'm assuming that new is out of my range but maybe not, especially if I start seeing .9 or even 1.9 financing vs 5.5 or more for used.

Ideally I'd like to stick around 15-20, honestly if a 16 civic starts at 25ish and I can wiggle em down to 22 I'd be okay with that maybe.

I will say I'd be aprehensive about getting a 1st of a generation, new drivetrain, new motor, new chasis, even honda can't escape first year blues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nix
A 13 sedan isn't my only option.. I'm assuming that new is out of my range but maybe not, especially if I start seeing .9 or even 1.9 financing vs 5.5 or more for used.

Ideally I'd like to stick around 15-20, honestly if a 16 civic starts at 25ish and I can wiggle em down to 22 I'd be okay with that maybe.

I will say I'd be aprehensive about getting a 1st of a generation, new drivetrain, new motor, new chasis, even honda can't escape first year blues.
this

if youre gonna get a 10th gen I'd wait until the midcycle refresh. the Si's will out be then anyways.

used 13 Si sedan is a great choice

Reactions: Nix
The SI is manual only though. So, if the car has to be automatic the SI is out. Just something to keep in mind in case you are not the only one who has to drive it. Other than that its a great car with a lot of potential. With regular maintenance it'll last you until you're bored of it and want something new.

My wife will have to learn to drive stick, I already advised her that auto/stick will have no bearing on my next vehicle purchase since I've been looking at wrx, mazdaspeed3, civic si etc. Since she drives my car about 2x a year as it is its not a major issue.

My wife will have to learn to drive stick, I already advised her that auto/stick will have no bearing on my next vehicle purchase since I've been looking at wrx, mazdaspeed3, civic si etc. Since she drives my car about 2x a year as it is its not a major issue.

The '12 - -15 Si is an extremely easy stick-shift to learn on - the clutch action is light and it has a consistent, smooth engagement point. On a level surface you can be barely off idle and she'll pull off from a dead stop without stalling and idle up to 6 mph without any gas - Great for stop & go traffic conditions. But before you purchase, let her drive it to make sure she'll be comfortable driving it - this is super important if you have (or anticipate having) young children. (FYI - the new WRX can be had with CVT if you must have an auto.)

Family truckster will be relegated to wife hauling kids around, she will be using the si for weekend grocery runs or whatevr, or I'd haul kids to see the races or go to a store or something, not a while lot of kiddy tavel, my current civic is auto not by my choice, it's what was avaliable. Even so my wife has driven my current car maybe 2x a year.
A new wrx is 26k, probably 28k with cvt right now I'm looking at 22 as a tops for new with a finance incentive)

Yup. FB6 is your best bet in that price range. Only other car I'd recommend is a MKVI GTI, but maintenance and longevity are potential issues. "Stinkeye" WRX's have TERRIBLE transmissions, so don't bother.

I sold my '01 accord last fall after picking up a '13 SI sedan w/ low miles in pristine condition. So far I couldn't be happier with it. A blast to drive, while still being practical enough when I do have to haul the kids. Also relatively few around, at least where I am (WRXs seem to be a dime a dozen), so it stands out from the crowd a bit more than most, imho. 100% agree on avoiding early production of any new model, even a Honda - gotta allow some time to find & fix those bugs.

Reason(s) to avoid? I suppose I'm not exactly wowed by the sound system, but I knew that going in, having browsed these forums & others beforehand. Certainly not enough to dissuade me from buying. Currently debating whether to dive into improving it this summer. Nothing else comes to mind.

So, just a great car. If do end up getting one, you certainly won't be disappointed!

Back