Wider rear track (or wheel & tire) Bad Idea for racing?

Discussion in 'Suspension And Brakes' started by Alberto521, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Alberto521

Alberto521 Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    Civic Si
    Body Style:
    Coupe
    Hello guys

My current settup is 17x9 + 35 (plus 25mm spacers, so technically +10) offset. 255/40R17 on front, 235/45R17 on rear.

As some of yall may know, I got some fender flares (wide zg 3.25in front, 3.75in rear) , i love the fitment on the front, but the back could "use some work".

i already attempted getting smaller flares for the rear (2.75) but it created absolutely terrible wheel gap, and i could not move it down more because the cuts on the rear fender area would be visible.

Some people are telling me to get wheels with a more aggressive offset to make them poke out more, or even wider wheel and tire too (or a combination of all)... however, this isnt a show car for stance shows, i actually do track days and autox, eventually i wanna do time attack street preped.

Would running a wider track on the back create more understeer and make the car harder to rotate?

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nix
    • Staff
    • Supporting Member

Nix J├Âtunn Moderator

Body Style:
    It's A Fast Pig!
    Alberto521 likes this.
  3. Safe Gabe

Safe Gabe Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    Civic Si
    Body Style:
    Sedan
    Sorry for the late reply -- I'm not as active online these days cause I'm prepping my own car for Global Time Attack in April.

I wouldn't run anything too aggressive in the rear. I run a 225. It will take 255 forever to heat up and yes, it will take away your car's ability to rotate as it sits. I would recommend maybe running a lower offset in the rear if you're looking to fill the fenders.

Alberto521 and webby like this.
  4. Alberto521

Alberto521 Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    Civic Si
    Body Style:
    Coupe
    Hey Gabe, thanks for reply.

So in other words: skinnier tire on rear is good (i run 255 front, 235 rear, 17x9 wheels)

But my main concern is the overall track width, if my rear is "wider" do you think it will increase understeer? Right now both offsets are +10 (+35 with a 25mm spacer)

5. Safe Gabe

Safe Gabe Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    Civic Si
    Body Style:
    Sedan
    Yes, it will increase understeer. The other concern (which you shouldn't really have because of aero, but for the sake of information) is high speed braking. Because you are removing weight from an already light rear end, under high speed braking, you will experience rear end instability. If you watch any of the lapping of the new Civic Type-R, you will notice that upon initial braking and down shift, the driver is fighting the wheel to keep it straight. This problem only gets worse once you've jumped to a staggered setup.

I think running that +10 front would be fine and something like a +20 in the rear will be enough of an offset to induce oversteer.

Nix and Sarcras like this.