Shifter Cables going out??

brown_bear

Reston, Virginia
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Hey guys, not sure if this has been covered yet but, On Sat when leaving work I noticed that 2nd, 4th and 6th gears all
feel mushy, like im shifting into dough. The gears still engage fine and all. I've heard that this could be the shifter cables have been stretched out some. any input would be great, trying to prevent this from becoming a major issue lol.

Have you done any mods like a short shifter, shifter bushings, etc?

Linkage or bent fork is what seems to be the consensus on the 8th gen forums. Handful of threads that basically describe what you're experiencing. No clue if @Nix or @Dar-Dar recall some?

Yes, that sounds very familiar. Something about the shift forks and the odd/even gearing. Ill see if I can't find the thread later but yea, that sounds super familiar. I can't remember the details off hand.

So turns out my shifter cable went out, my wife was driving our kids to school and the babysitter. Though it was under the powertrain warranty but, it appears its not. its looking like im paying out of pocket for this one.

Last edited:
Did you have any other symptoms prior to the cable breaking besides mushy shifts on 2/4/6? I've had about a dozen times of random gears (2/3/4/5) want to jump out of gear when up/down shifting. 1/3/5 have a weird kinda double notch/catch that can be felt with the vehicle off and stationary(not fully engaging but felt when pushed to its resistance point prior to engaging), and the shifts don't feel "confident" if I'm not on top of precise shifting. While 2/4/6 are notchy but very solid and confident. Wiggling the stick back and forth (enter pun here:rotfl:) shows about an inch of free play that i confirmed to be my cable bushings gone already with a buddy at my shop. I'm getting hybrid racing bushing to justify if that is my only issue other wise I'm gonna take it in to have it looked at. I only have just shy of 1700 miles so i feel that the play is a little excessive even though I drive spirited in my travels. BTW what MY do you have brown_bear? Glad to hear that your back to butta smooth!

I was told just yesterday that the grinding may be caused by the shifter cables rather than the clutch itself. An 8thcivic member who did the k24 k20 frankenstein swap recommended me to change the cable shifters since there was a lot of play in my gears. I'm highly considering getting new cable shifters but they're so pricey :(

Did you have any other symptoms prior to the cable breaking besides mushy shifts on 2/4/6? I've had about a dozen times of random gears (2/3/4/5) want to jump out of gear when up/down shifting. 1/3/5 have a weird kinda double notch/catch that can be felt with the vehicle off and stationary(not fully engaging but felt when pushed to its resistance point prior to engaging), and the shifts don't feel "confident" if I'm not on top of precise shifting. While 2/4/6 are notchy but very solid and confident. Wiggling the stick back and forth (enter pun here:rotfl:) shows about an inch of free play that i confirmed to be my cable bushings gone already with a buddy at my shop. I'm getting hybrid racing bushing to justify if that is my only issue other wise I'm gonna take it in to have it looked at. I only have just shy of 1700 miles so i feel that the play is a little excessive even though I drive spirited in my travels. BTW what MY do you have brown_bear? Glad to hear that your back to butta smooth!
I did have the mushy gears 2/4/6/R before the cable snapped/broke. I just cant believe at 60k the cables didnt last, @CollegeHillsHonda hooked it up as always with thier pricing.
I've got a 2012 FB6. I do have a moaning noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd.....they will be taken care of another day, since im out of warranty now.

I had mine checked out by the first person who did the k24/k20 frankenstein swap from 8thcivic. He told me lots of things going out with my car. Means more money to fix the problems :(. But he was very knowledgeable in that aspect. He said the cmc adjustment is not worth it and should just leave it alone since mainly the grinding is probably the cables in his view, along with changing the mtf.

I'm having a hard time shifting into either 6th gear or reverse. Mods: Replaced shifter cables with OEM, CTE Short shifter, MTEC shifting springs. Any ideas?

I'm having a hard time shifting into either 6th gear or reverse. Mods: Replaced shifter cables with OEM, CTE Short shifter, MTEC shifting springs. Any ideas?

When was your last transmission fluid change? Mine is starting to do the same thing and I am planning on changing the fluid this week. I have Hybrid Racing cable bushings, the CTE, and some Corsport base bushings.

Back