2013 Si Sedan - TPMS Programming

Paul LeCain

I have 16” blizzaks and rims for my 2013. The previous owner said he just swapped the wheels/tires package every winter and had a hand held device to register the sensors. He even gave me the codes.

Sounded easy enough so I figured next oil change I’d just pay the dealer to do it. Two dealers have told me $120 and one hour to program. I called previous owner and he said ridiculous and just bring it to his house and he would do it with his tool that he bought on Amazon.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Why are two dealers telling me this is a long process but some guy in a garage can do it in minutes?

Thanks!

They want to charge you an hour of labor. Most shops will charge 75-150 to do it. It’s a money grab.

Buy yourself an ATEQ quickset and you can program them yourself every season. Very easy to do.
The 2013 has a direct tpms system so you have to get it programmed or you will get the check tpms error.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have to switch to snow tires as well during the winter. My brother gave me his snow tires with rims (keeps his car stored) they don't have tmps and I just drive them like that. Been doing it for 3 seasons. Honestly I think you will be fine if your not in a rush to make up your mind going diy or dealer. Your just going to have your tmps light on. Just get a tire gauge and check the pressure once in a while and if it's just on your winter set ask your self if it's worth paying for the sensors installation/ programming to tell you that all your tires are @32psi

The one downside to leaving the tpms light on is that You cannot disable the VSA system. Not a huge deal but this can be helpful if the car is stuck.

Not sure I follow your question?
When the tpms light is on, the vsa cannot be disabled using the button on the dash.
When the vsa is disabled the traction control light with the word "off" is illuminated.

Like when the VSA light is illuminated does that mean that it's activated or disabled?
When it's off (disabled) you see the traction symbol with the word OFF under it.

If the wheels at spinning the TC light will flash telling you it is working.

If the tmps light is on you said you can't disable the vsa right? So does that mean that mean having your tmps illuminated it will cause the vsa light to turn on? :scratches: im starting to confuse myself lol

4th time is the charm i hope...The vsa is on by default and still functions properly if the tpms light is on. The vsa off only illuminates if you hold the button. This cannot be done if the tpms light is on.

4th time is the charm i hope...The vsa is on by default and still functions properly if the tpms light is on. The vsa off only illuminates if you hold the button. This cannot be done if the tpms light is on.

I need a 5th time jk lol
Sorry I was have having an airhead:hmmm?: moment (=

can you install a tpms on a extra set of rims and tires? Is that a part from Honda?

that is not good-is that part $33x4=$132 and the dealer has to program it or you can't turn the anti tire burning button off. Is it possible to switch the sensor to the other wheels and tire?

As you wrote, you need 4. One goes inside each tire on the wheel. It needs programmed as I said if you swap between wheels. Yes you can swap the sensors to other wheels. They are held on with a nut basically. Any tire shop could swap them if you're having different wheels installed.

this shows how they are inside the tires on each wheel

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCeoxXnsx9A

and that is pretty cheap as far as sensors go. Some manufacturers charge upwards of $100 per sensor. Most do not have replaceable batteries either,..... so if the battery in the sensor goes dead, you're buying new sensors.

a lot of extra work just to run some light weight wheels-17pds vs 23.5-tuner lug nuts save another pound-loss of 30pds.

Back