Advice Needed: Buying a new Si

A staff member here was literally quoted 3k under invoice on a new 2012 si. I just went past my dealership tonight and they have (32) 2012 civics on the lot to get rid of. I think 5 of them were coupes, and the rest sedans. That seems like a lot of inventory to move, and they already have 2013's there as well.

Kodi - leasing essentially lowers your payment. It's like renting the car. You're allotted a set number of miles that you can drive per year (usually 12k). If you go over that amount, you're charged fees when you return the car. Most leases are 36 months. At the end of the lease you just hand the car in. So,... you're never the "owner" of the car, so your monthly payments are less. You have the option of buying the car when you turn the lease in, or you can buy/lease another vehicle of your choice.

example 2012 sedan lease - (non-si)
http://automobiles.honda.com/current-offers-detail.aspx?modelname=Civic Sedan&offerid=65290&modelid=FB2F5CEW&sf=2&ft=1&Landing=Civic

Thanks! My main question is: Would I save money or will it come out to the same price at the end of the day?

I'm in California and there is only ONE new 2012 Honda Civic Si White Sedan available but it's 6 hours away from me. :(

Lease payments might be 200 less a month than buying the vehicle. Depends on how long you finance the car for (if you were buying). If you buy the car out after a lease, it'd be more than just buying it from the get go.

Lease payments might be 200 less a month than buying the vehicle. Depends on how long you finance the car for (if you were buying). If you buy the car out after a lease, it'd be more than just buying it from the get go.
I knew I should have just bought mine, 'cause I'm leaning toward buying.........

The best part of the lease is that you have no obligation to the vehicle or to the leasing company like you do in a buy. If you lease and you hit a deer or have an accident, your insurance will fix the damage and the loss of value in the car is not your concern. Also if there ends up being a huge recall on the car and the value is diminished you don't have to take the fall if you want to trade in your car for a new one like in a buy. It is basically protecting you from losing money through depreciation. I plan on getting another Si at the end of the lease, and if I smoke a deer and the car is worth 14,000 and the residual (the amount the car is thought to be worth at the end of the lease) is 17,000, I just saved myself from losing that $3,000 and can get into a new lease or car without the negative equity that would have occurred in a normal loan. Also you are in an equity position much faster in a lease, so if you wanted to trade out of one into a new one in 18 months (for example) you will be closer to equity or equitable (equal) at that point. So in the end you can only break even in the end.

Also the penalty for going over on miles is $ .20 per mile and the average depreciation per mile on a vehicle is $ .33 per mile.

The only difference you need to pay attention to is that the extra fee for a lease is the acquisition fee which is a fee to pay for the processing of the paperwork for American Honda Lease Trust. Also the money factor for the civic lease at the moment is .00044 which translates to a 1.056% interest on a lease payment and the special financing is 0.9% on a buy.

All in all it is up to you to buy or lease, it is a great deal either way. Hopefully I helped you in deciding.

A staff member here was literally quoted 3k under invoice on a new 2012 si. I just went past my dealership tonight and they have (32) 2012 civics on the lot to get rid of. I think 5 of them were coupes, and the rest sedans. That seems like a lot of inventory to move, and they already have 2013's there as well.

Kodi - leasing essentially lowers your payment. It's like renting the car. You're allotted a set number of miles that you can drive per year (usually 12k). If you go over that amount, you're charged fees when you return the car. Most leases are 36 months. At the end of the lease you just hand the car in. So,... you're never the "owner" of the car, so your monthly payments are less. You have the option of buying the car when you turn the lease in, or you can buy/lease another vehicle of your choice.

example 2012 sedan lease - (non-si)
http://automobiles.honda.com/current-offers-detail.aspx?modelname=Civic Sedan&offerid=65290&modelid=FB2F5CEW&sf=2&ft=1&Landing=Civic

This is a very good possibility which would mean that you would be stupid not to buy it at that price unless there was a good reason. They will be losing a large sum of money to sell that car. If they didn't buy it I will come buy it! :eek2:

If you're buying a 2012 Si, buy a coupe. I really am turned off by how plain the sedan's look, even in the Si. But that's my opinion.

If you're buying a 2013, the Si sedan looks infinitely better - the tailights look higher quality, the spoiler is more prominent, and the front end looks like it has more than 95 horsepower.

I would only even remotely consider buying a 2012 if the price was near invoice, or lower. I couldn't justify how similarly priced the vastly updated 2013 models are. Remember - it goes beyond the surface. Even though the 2013 coupe isn't really updated visually, they have all been improved in terms of road noise (I find the 2012 unacceptably loud at highway noise), some safety, and the interior fit and finish is much better and not nearly as decontented as they 2012. They put back into the 2013 what they took away (and more) between 2011 and 2012.

If you're buying a 2012 Si, buy a coupe. I really am turned off by how plain the sedan's look, even in the Si. But that's my opinion.

If you're buying a 2013, the Si sedan looks infinitely better - the tailights look higher quality, the spoiler is more prominent, and the front end looks like it has more than 95 horsepower.

I would only even remotely consider buying a 2012 if the price was near invoice, or lower. I couldn't justify how similarly priced the vastly updated 2013 models are. Remember - it goes beyond the surface. Even though the 2013 coupe isn't really updated visually, they have all been improved in terms of road noise (I find the 2012 unacceptably loud at highway noise), some safety, and the interior fit and finish is much better and not nearly as decontented as they 2012. They put back into the 2013 what they took away (and more) between 2011 and 2012.

I agree with you. The only issue is right now I can get the coupe for about 21,500 with navigation versus the 24,650 sticker price for the 2012. Also, 0.9% APR financing.

That's the only reason I want to buy the 2012. If I could get a deal on the 2013, then I would 100% do that. What do you think?

Honestly, I think you just need to go sit in a 2013 Civic Si if you can find one and see if the interior upgrade is worth the money to you. At the end of the day, YOU have to be the one happy with your purchase, and we can only provide our own opinions. Personally, I wasn't sold on the Civic Si when I drove the 2012. The 2013 redesign is what sealed the deal for me. Regardless, good luck on your decision, and I'm sure you'll make the right one for you!

Honestly, I think you just need to go sit in a 2013 Civic Si if you can find one and see if the interior upgrade is worth the money to you. At the end of the day, YOU have to be the one happy with your purchase, and we can only provide our own opinions. Personally, I wasn't sold on the Civic Si when I drove the 2012. The 2013 redesign is what sealed the deal for me. Regardless, good luck on your decision, and I'm sure you'll make the right one for you!

Thank you. Did you purchase the 2013 Si Coupe? I'm just wondering because how much would the APR be on new vehicles? I don't have a big budget. The price and the APR of the 2012's is what appeals me the most.

call your dealer and ask what the finance rate is on a 2013. It's going to change on a monthly basis. So, the rate they give you would be good to the end of the month, and then new rates will be released in Jan. It's not uncommon for rates to stay the same into the next month.

Thank you. Did you purchase the 2013 Si Coupe? I'm just wondering because how much would the APR be on new vehicles? I don't have a big budget. The price and the APR of the 2012's is what appeals me the most.

I placed an order for a 2013 Si sedan, so I've yet to discuss APR with the dealership yet. Like I said, just go sit in a 2012 and a 2013 and see if the upgraded interior is worth it to you. Just remember, you're probably going to live with the car for several years, so being happy with your vehicle is incredibly important. Sometimes paying more up front makes you happier down the road.

call your dealer and ask what the finance rate is on a 2013. It's going to change on a monthly basis. So, the rate they give you would be good to the end of the month, and then new rates will be released in Jan. It's not uncommon for rates to stay the same into the next month.

But they won't be anything like 0.9% right?

I placed an order for a 2013 Si sedan, so I've yet to discuss APR with the dealership yet. Like I said, just go sit in a 2012 and a 2013 and see if the upgraded interior is worth it to you. Just remember, you're probably going to live with the car for several years, so being happy with your vehicle is incredibly important. Sometimes paying more up front makes you happier down the road.

I definitely agree. I mean i sat in the 2012 and I really liked it so if the new 2013 is nicer, I will definitely check it out. I'm tight on finances so I'm more worried about the APR for the 2013 sedan when it comes out.

you should really ask them about the APR especially if ordering. Just call them and have them give you a quote for one. You will most likely have to fill out a credit app if you haven't already and then talk to local lenders to see if they have a special. Depending on credit you should have a good chance of getting 2.9 or better but credit is the main factor in determining what you get. Also see if you can line up a good co-signer in case you need a little help. This will aid you in getting the best possible rate. In my area I have gotten a good number of people to get 1.99 for 72 months (6 years) through Wells Fargo. Not sure where you are from but I assume it would be similar with A+ credit.

I don't think the HFP is worth it. $25,000 for a 2012 Civic is pushing it based on some of their cost-cutting.

$21,500 for an Si coupe with navigation is a great deal - that's about what I paid for my Si without navigation. That might almost be enough to convince me to buy a 2012 Si. But I have to highly advise you to sit (or drive) in a 2013 if you possibly can.

Back