GranTurismo 5 Thread!

I am thinking smth like this, but a bit simpler shapes since I will use 2x4s spruce and plywood.
f1_2011_seat.jpg

also with a 3 monitor stand along those lines

images

need to make the ps3 and pc integral part of the whole thing to easily move it arround. I use the space for my woodworking hobby shop.

Where did you get the seat? I am thinking of going to a auto junk yard and get a lower sporty seat with rails, regardles of make.

Last edited:
I am thinking smth like this, but a bit simpler shapes since I will use 2x4s spruce and plywood.
f1_2011_seat.jpg
also with a 3 monitor stand along those lines
images
need to make the ps3 and pc integral part of the whole thing to easily move it arround. I use the space for my woodworking hobby shop.
Where did you get the seat? I am thinking of going to a auto junk yard and get a lower sporty seat with rails, regardles of make.
I was going to go this route:
20101019PVCmk2Render.jpg

Found the seats on kijiji - and they came with nice flat universal rails!

Last edited:
I was going to go this route:
20101019PVCmk2Render.jpg

Found the seats on kijiji - and they came with nice flat universal rails!

That's pretty nice. I have seen this approach for the DIY as well. I like woodworking so it is a double whammy for me to build it myself :) I also aim for having the seat bottom and pedals at the same level for a more realistic F1 feel :)

Forgot to mention that I noticed the Mazda in the pics :) Somehow the Lotus 79 and the Mazdas are my favourite cars in iRacing.

Last edited:
AP, you're wrong about one thing that Dragos, the insider, and myself are all in agreement on: iRacing is the greatest racing "game" of all time. That being said, I've been a GT junky since the first game, and love the franchise immensely. GT5 was the only reason I was going to buy a PS3. They kept pushing GT5's release date back, kept pushing it back, kept pushing it back, kept pushing it back...so I never bought the PS3. Now I'm broke as a joke and can't afford one. :sadface:

AP, you're wrong about one thing that Dragos, the insider, and myself are all in agreement on: iRacing is the greatest racing "game" of all time. That being said, I've been a GT junky since the first game, and love the franchise immensely. GT5 was the only reason I was going to buy a PS3. They kept pushing GT5's release date back, kept pushing it back, kept pushing it back, kept pushing it back...so I never bought the PS3. Now I'm broke as a joke and can't afford one. :sadface:

To be honest I see iRacing clearly on a diff realism level, I can almost feel the tires bending if I break too hard in a corner and feel the tail going away in my bones. Maybe it is an overactive imagination but I almost feel the balance of the car shifting in IRacing. I would like to see more cars and tracks in it though and maybe more regular cars even if they;re not the best racing material. Eitherwise GT5 is an awesome one as well, tire model seems a bit simplistic and handling lacks the iRacing kick but it compensates through the huge variety and the physics are still very decent. A well done lap in iRacing is more rewarding then 10 diff cars and tracks in GT :) When I started iRacing the unforgiving nature of it was a bit frustrating, but I see progress every week and it is amazing to experience it.
Sims take the risk out of the equation and lack movement/balance feedback but at the same time they allow you to purely focus on the driving skill without worrying about mistakes. I am definitely a better driver because of these two games.

I genuinely am obsessed with both games so I am very happy playing either of them. Usually I do iRacing untill my focus starts to fade a bit and then I switch to GT5.

Never tried the previous versions except the prologue, but GT5 is the first game that made me buy a wheel and see the light of race sims :) I was 30+ when I started sim racing :)

To be honest I see iRacing clearly on a diff realism level, I can almost feel the tires bending if I break too hard in a corner and feel the tail going away in my bones. Maybe it is an overactive imagination but I almost feel the balance of the car shifting in IRacing. I would like to see more cars and tracks in it though and maybe more regular cars even if they;re not the best racing material.

I don't really compare iRacing to any video game system "racing sim". There's just no way in the world that you can. I've never played any of the Forza games, but I hear they're great. As I said before though I've loved the GT franchise from 1-4, and always thought it was the most realistic console game available. All the Need For Speed/similar games I consider "arcade style" which doesn't even compare.

As for iRacing: Before they were even up and running my dad and I want to a race at VIR in 2006. iRacing had a big tent, a "race rig" w/bucket seat, and a not even close to being finished version of VIR's full course. Like you mentioned, when I tried it I found it's ultra realism (even in beta form) infuriating. Not to mention embarrassing when you have a ton of other race fans staring over your shoulder. I thought the idea of iRacing was awesome. My dad however was like soon to be crackhead that had just been given that first "freebie" crack rock. He's been on since iRacing went live. Sadly I haven't been in a position to be able to buy a pc that could handle running their program. Hopefully someday soon I can get one so I can join him online for "track days". :thumbsup:

Here's a little known fact about iRacing: 9th Civic's MrsJrotax101 's uncle (if I'm not mistaken, or possibly her cousin) was part of the crew that went around doing the 360 degree shooting that made up the majority (once again...if I'm not mistaken) of iRacing's early track offerings. I'll have to get her to chime in to separate my hazy memories from what reality is. :giggle:

I remember the realism of the first GT. That blew me away. I haven't seen it since then, but I can only imagine how good it is now compared to then.

If you're a lame-o like me who still has a PS2 instead of a PS3, you should do yourself a service and go pick up a copy of GT 4. I bet they can be found used for stupid cheap. :spazface:

Last video game system I had was an Atari 2600. My boys have a Wii though. Is there Grand Turismo for the Wii??

Conversely, Forza and PGR have been Microsoft franchises (xbox-only).

I have Forza 4 and Horizon (along with the Rally expansion), and while I have a PS3, it's only used for blurays, so I never bought any games for it.

lol that evo 9 actually took me like 45 minutes to get it that low and still have the wheels tucked enough not to go through the fenders hahaha!

My r34 is actually so low no matter where i drive it scrapes.. even on flat.. even on ssrx... no matter what always scraping ahhahaha

lol that evo 9 actually took me like 45 minutes to get it that low and still have the wheels tucked enough not to go through the fenders hahaha!

My r34 is actually so low no matter where i drive it scrapes.. even on flat.. even on ssrx... no matter what always scraping ahhahaha

A R34 is a terrible thing to waste. And why'd you have to make it my favorite color? :pat: 2 day ban for you to think about what you've done! :giggle:

Back