Does your Si burn oil?

Does your Si burn oil?

• Yes

Votes: 44 54.3%
  • No

Votes: 37 45.7%

• Total voters
Hey Kirk,

I wouldn't worry about not having purchased it new and having a salesperson to lean on - mine turned out to be worse than useless! My salesperson stated she wanted absolutely nothing to do with the issue and refused even go to bat for me with the service department. I drove 15 miles to another dealership and have received excellent service so far.
Wow, typical sales[wo]man...

I had my pistons replaced while I had a Full Race down pipe and exhaust. Other than telling me how good it sounded, they didn't mention it. My dealership took great care of me (after I complained to Honda America). I wouldn't worry about the intake.

I had my pistons replaced while I had a Full Race down pipe and exhaust. Other than telling me how good it sounded, they didn't mention it. My dealership took great care of me (after I complained to Honda America). I wouldn't worry about the intake.

That's awesome, I know the techs love all the cars with aftermarket goodies!

How does it run now? Still feel like the same car? They have to pull engine completely out for rings and pistons

How long does the TSB last? For example, say 50k (i'm currently at 11.5k) miles I start burning oil. Then what?
It needs to be dealt with under warranty to be free. There is a clause that states it can be covered if it's approved by honda prior to the work being done. I have no idea how hard it is to get that approval though.

It needs to be dealt with under warranty to be free. There is a clause that states it can be covered if it's approved by honda prior to the work being done. I have no idea how hard it is to get that approval though.
Thanks. I think i'll be fine then. If it is going to happen it'll happen before the warranty is up.

I called the dealership and asked them if there was a recall for oil consumption and they had no idea what I was talking about. They didn't even take the time to take my vin or anything. Is there any other way I can go about with getting the oil consumption fixed?

I called the dealership and asked them if there was a recall for oil consumption and they had no idea what I was talking about. They didn't even take the time to take my vin or anything. Is there any other way I can go about with getting the oil consumption fixed?

First off - its not a recall. If your from the US, find the appropriate TSB here http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/info-recalls-tsbs-and-common-problems-2012-all-trims.560/ and check your VIN - if your car is in the range and it is using oil excessively the bulletin applies

my vin does fall into the requirements, now how do i go about getting this problem fixed?

Take a printout of the TSB in with you. Tell them you are losing oil and you want a consumption test. Don't tell them how much you are losing. Just tell them you are not comfortable with the loss AND the fact that it is in the VIN range. DO NOT back down. Tell them you will call Honda if necessary.

How does it run now? Still feel like the same car? They have to pull engine completely out for rings and pistons

It feels a little more peppy, not really a huge difference though. And I don't believe they had to remove the engine, but I'm not 100% sure. I assumed they lifted it and pulled the bottom end off, but I am purely guessing.

Basically I had to argue with them for awhile. They will most likely have you come in every 500/1000 miles to measure your oil consumption. Once they agree its at fault, they will have to clear the work order with the Honda rep, then order your parts. If you feel your dealership is not helping you, do what I did. First tell your service writer you are un happy with their lack of customer service and ask to speak with the boss. If that doesn't kick start some service, then make sure to tell them that you will be contacting Honda America with a bad review. I know they can lose their job and or get their butts chewed for not getting a 5 star review. I bet they will be calling you to work something out.

my vin does fall into the requirements, now how do i go about getting this problem fixed?

If you show up with, oh lets say 60% oil life showing on your I mid and little or no oil on your dipstick they may not even do an oil consumption test. We don't for this issue - its a lay down at our store as we and Honda know that there is a known problem and a fix for vehicles within the VIN range. An oil consumption test is not a prerequisite for this repair.

Last edited:
If you show up with, oh lets say 60% oil life showing on your I mid and little or no oil on your dipstick they may not even do an oil consumption test. We don't for this issue - its a lay down at our store as we and Honda know that there is a known problem and a fix for vehicles within the VIN range.

That could easily be arranged... :shadyhat:

It feels a little more peppy, not really a huge difference though. And I don't believe they had to remove the engine, but I'm not 100% sure. I assumed they lifted it and pulled the bottom end off, but I am purely guessing.

Basically I had to argue with them for awhile. They will most likely have you come in every 500/1000 miles to measure your oil consumption. Once they agree its at fault, they will have to clear the work order with the Honda rep, then order your parts. If you feel your dealership is not helping you, do what I did. First tell your service writer you are un happy with their lack of customer service and ask to speak with the boss. If that doesn't kick start some service, then make sure to tell them that you will be contacting Honda America with a bad review. I know they can lose their job and or get their butts chewed for not getting a 5 star review. I bet they will be calling you to work something out.

Honda's way is not to remove the engine - but to make the repair in car... that's not to say every dealer does it this way...

In my situation I documented the oil consumption (noted exact amounts added, mileage, dates and receipts for the oil purchased) and raised the issue my dealer. It wasn't easy, they accused me of not being able to read a dipstick, then they said it was normal for "new cars" to use a lot of oil during the break in period, and then finally (after much insisting) they did an oil consumption test. The consumption test went about a 1,000 miles and the oil level fell below the level of the dipstick - then the dealership acknowledged there is a problem.

In my situation I documented the oil consumption (noted exact amounts added, mileage, dates and receipts for the oil purchased) and raised the issue my dealer. It wasn't easy, they accused me of not being able to read a dipstick, then they said it was normal for "new cars" to use a lot of oil during the break in period, and then finally (after much insisting) they did an oil consumption test. The consumption test went about a 1,000 miles and the oil level fell below the level of the dipstick - then the dealership acknowledged there is a problem.

New cars do burn oil, sometimes heavily, during break in. My Si is in the VIN range for repair. I added 400ml after only 1800km and I thought "OK here we go..." Since then it has used virtually no oil - now at 6000km. And for what its worth I do not follow the Maintenance Minder. I change my oil old school every 6000km and use Mobil 1. I've seen my wife's demo CR-V go more than 14000 km before it called for an oil change - that's just wrong. And that's why in my opinion we (as a dealer) are seeing timing chains requiring replacement with less than 100000km on the odometer - its rare - but it happens.

Last edited:
Take a printout of the TSB in with you. Tell them you are losing oil and you want a consumption test. Don't tell them how much you are losing. Just tell them you are not comfortable with the loss AND the fact that it is in the VIN range. DO NOT back down. Tell them you will call Honda if necessary.
thank you and will do
If you show up with, oh lets say 60% oil life showing on your I mid and little or no oil on your dipstick they may not even do an oil consumption test. We don't for this issue - its a lay down at our store as we and Honda know that there is a known problem and a fix for vehicles within the VIN range. An oil consumption test is not a prerequisite for this repair.
thank you sir

It has been less than 1000 miles (maybe 500-750?) since my oil change and I filled it up with the exact amount recommended when draining oil and replacing filter. It was just at or slightly above the full dot after the oil change before running the engine for the first time. I checked multiple times to make sure. This current measurement was taken with the engine cold. I tried starting it and checking after the "cold" indicator went away the day before but the level was lower (hardly above the low dot) and I felt it inaccurate.

Am I burning oil or is this just how much oil goes into the filter and gets stuck/doesn't fully drain from the head valve train area, causing the reading on the dipstick to be halfway between the dots when it was at full after oil change?

IMG_1707.jpg

Last edited:
It has been less than 1000 miles (maybe 500-750?) since my oil change and I filled it up with the exact amount recommended when draining oil and replacing filter. It was just at or slightly above the full dot after the oil change before running the engine for the first time. I checked multiple times to make sure. This current measurement was taken with the engine cold. I tried starting it and checking after the "cold" indicator went away the day before but the level was lower (hardly above the low dot) and I felt it inaccurate.

Am I burning oil or is this just how much oil goes into the filter and gets stuck/doesn't fully drain from the head valve train area, causing the reading on the dipstick to be halfway between the dots when it was at full after oil change?

View attachment 20363

You have to let the vehicle sit on level ground for 15-20 minutes after running the engine before checking the oil to get an accurate measurement. It takes that long for the oil to run completely back into the crankcase. If you have an Si oil consumption issue, believe me, you'd know - its not subtle.

Back