When to bail on my online parts order

blove9

Calgary
Vehicle Model
SI
Body Style
coupe
Hey folks,

Looking for a little advice on an online order I placed just over a month ago. I ordered a complete suspension package (coil-overs, sway bars and camber kit). When I placed the order I was advised that all items were in stock and ship within a few days. Fast forward a month, after numerous calls I have been advised that only the camber kits will ship and the coil overs are on order with the manufacturer with no reliable eta. I have had no response to email inquiries and have been only able to get a hold of them by phone. The response is always the same "we will look into it and get back to you" which has never happened. My credit card was immediately debited for the purchase a month ago for the total amount of the purchase. So do I just call my credit card company and cancel the transaction, or cut them a little more slack?

Thanks

From a vendor on here? Company name?
I will have to check and see if they are a vendor here. I didn't want to mention the name at this point, just trying to judge what is reasonable.

If I don't receive in-stock parts within 2 weeks from being shipped, I would call the credit card company. If they were shipped, you should have gotten tracking number(s). Did you see if you have tracking numbers for these shipped parts?

If I don't receive in-stock parts within 2 weeks from being shipped, I would call the credit card company. If they were shipped, you should have gotten tracking number(s). Did you see if you have tracking numbers for these shipped parts?

From what I got from it they just claimed things were going to ship but not that they actually shipped? If nothing has shipped I would just cancel for sure. Get all of it somewhere else. I know a couple vendors here try and price match.

From what I got from it they just claimed things were going to ship but not that they actually shipped? If nothing has shipped I would just cancel for sure. Get all of it somewhere else. I know a couple vendors here try and price match.
There are no tracking numbers, just an assurance that the camber kits have shipped. So I basically I have a partial order, which I will confirm by demanding a tracking number for what has shipped. Based on what I am hearing, I should just cancel the order entirely and return the camber kits when and if they show up. Just start over with another supplier. I checked and they are not a supporting vendor on this site. What a pain, particularly when I am in Canada so my credit card fees will be at least 5% of the purchase price plus any difference in exchange rates. Live and learn I suppose!

I've learned over time to not allow a purchase on my cc without verification that the item is in stock and ship date.If the company won't agree,I simply use and insist on Amex. If I don't have the item by a reasonable time,I simply contact Amex and they take it from there.I did it once with some home audio I ordered and the item got shipped fed ex next day. IMO your getting the small " just in time" business style of operation,where there is practically zero inventory and lower costs,hence the better deal.Just imagine if you have to return it? I will stick to the better known companies,may pay slightly more but reputable companies usually have better customer service,such as crutchfield...etc.. Customer service second to none IMO ,I hope it all works out for you,personally I would cancel and buy elsewhere .

I suggest you mention the seller so members here would be aware. You would help reduce future troubles/issues or it will end up being a domino effect.

I've learned over time to not allow a purchase on my cc without verification that the item is in stock and ship date.If the company won't agree,I simply use and insist on Amex. If I don't have the item by a reasonable time,I simply contact Amex and they take it from there.I did it once with some home audio I ordered and the item got shipped fed ex next day. IMO your getting the small " just in time" business style of operation,where there is practically zero inventory and lower costs,hence the better deal.Just imagine if you have to return it? I will stick to the better known companies,may pay slightly more but reputable companies usually have better customer service,such as crutchfield...etc.. Customer service second to none IMO ,I hope it all works out for you,personally I would cancel and buy elsewhere .

Amex has the best card membet customer service ever. Plus it's all free which is mind blowing to me but I guess with most people racking up interest on them they are making a fortune anyways. +1 to Crutchfield as well!

If you have an Amex and are ordering from somewhere you don't trust, definitely use that. Maybe PayPal but Amex for sure, they will fight for the buyer and usually come out on top.

Also, even though it will be a hassle, yeah I would return it (if it ever comes) and just go somewhere new. That long is just insanity with no items and no real updates.

I suggest you mention the seller so members here would be aware. You would help reduce future troubles/issues or it will end up being a domino effect.
I will definitely mention the company by name once I get this settled, just don't want to inflame the situation until I do get it settled. I sure don't want to see anyone else going through this.

Depending on their shop location, that can pose issues for tracking to Canada. That's another whole ball of wax. Regardless, you shouldn't be waiting a month. USPS first class shipping to Canada is rated 7-10 days.

Amex has the best card membet customer service ever. Plus it's all free which is mind blowing to me but I guess with most people racking up interest on them they are making a fortune anyways. +1 to Crutchfield as well!

If you have an Amex and are ordering from somewhere you don't trust, definitely use that. Maybe PayPal but Amex for sure, they will fight for the buyer and usually come out on top.

Also, even though it will be a hassle, yeah I would return it (if it ever comes) and just go somewhere new. That long is just insanity with no items and no real updates.

Thanks for the feedback. I use Visa and have also had very good success the very few time I have had to cancel payment.

Depending on their shop location, that can pose issues for tracking to Canada. That's another whole ball of wax. Regardless, you shouldn't be waiting a month. USPS first class shipping to Canada is rated 7-10 days.
I would be a lot happier if it had at least shipped! At this point I don't even have that. To make matters worse, I share a shop with some friends and scheduled my shop time and time off work to do the install. That's not going to happen now.

Update: I finally got my parts. I don't want to rag on the company, as they did ultimately deliver. I sure learned a lesson from the experience, in particular to push a lot harder on exactly what is in stock and exactly when will it be shipped. From now on if I can't get that commitment, its no deal. I run a small business and I know first hand how hard it can be to provide good customer service when my suppliers let me down, which is what appeared to happen here. Thanks to everyone for the sage advice, now its on to getting my SI built!

The response is always the same "we will look into it and get back to you" which has never happened.

I run a small business and I know first hand how hard it can be to provide good customer service when my suppliers let me down

So you provide that same level of service to your customers if the suppliers falter?

Reactions: 323
The only issue I ever had with shipping to Canada was with a Canadian company where it took 2-3 months to get my wheel order due to a manufacturer back order. I've dealt with Pro Civic in the US a couple times and have had great service. I've also heard good things about a few other vendors from here shipping to Canada. Something to think about for the future.

I would also appreciate the name of the company you bought from so I don't have to deal with any possible issues like that in the future

Back