Max A/C vs. A/C What's the difference?

Flamethrower

Worcester, MA
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic EX
Body Style
Coupe
I'm wondering just that. What is the difference between the two? The only thing I see is that Max A/C looks like it is just the recycled air from inside the car. Am I correct? Isn't that kinda gross. I mean if someone happens to be sick or coughs, the air would just get recycled throughout the car. Please someone explain this to me. Also, if there is a difference, does gas mileage factor in to this equation?

Reactions: 323
I believe the max a/c makes the compressor stay on constantly instead of cycle on and off. Also you are correct that it also automatically switches the recirculate on. If you want your car to really get cold the recirc is almost necessary. You do have a cabin air filter that sits in your dash to help clean the air, but if you are worried about someone coughing they are sitting way to close to worry about the air being recycled.

It is a lot easier for the car to cool the air with the recirculate on because the air outside might be 90+ but the air inside with the A/C on is already a lot cooler. Usually it pulls the air in from the foot vents and out the face vents with that on. It helps tremendously in my car. People really complained that the 8th gen A/C was weak so perhaps you guys are lucky and have a better unit anyways.

Try regular A/C with the recirc and see if it isn't enough once the car starts to cool down. Mileage wise any use of the A/C will hurt. The max with the compressor constantly on can't help. It is more efficient to have the A/C on when you're on the highway though.

Depending on the options on the vehicle. Max A/C does the following, 1) Recirculate cab/internal air 2) Sets the compressor and condenser fan to stay on more constantly 3) Sets the A/C to lowest temp settings 4) Fan to highest speed. Usually cars with automatic A/C would have all these options. For 2012 civic model, only 1 and 2 are applicable.

Also, the car will prioritize running eco, over cooling if you have the econ "on", and with the icon off the cooling will work cooler, even while the engine is under load.

I can say that the AC in these cars, or at least mine, work awesome! I have a 10 minute drive home from work and its 100 degrees outside and im cold by the time im almost home... And that is after the car sat out for 10 hours.

I have to agree. It has been in the low 90's here and when I get in my car after it has been sitting for 5 or 6 hours in the sun, I start the car, crank the A/C and by the time I roll up my sunshade and put it in the trunk, it is comfortable in the car, a few minutes later I have to turn it down. Far better than the CR-Z I had before I got the Si, which could barely keep up when the temperatures broke 90 unless you where on the highway.

I have noticed that when I have the AC on in my car (automatic) it seems to pull a lot harder and the engine feels peppier. I have noticed this in other cars too. Anyone have an Idea why this happens?

Last edited:
Engine is working a lot harder, RPMS are higher, therefore more power. Higher rpm = more HP, and at least on the R18 over 2500rpm gets you out of the econ VTEC range on the cam and into the "normal" cam profile. It feels much more powerful once you get up around 3k.

Last edited:
Engine is working a lot harder, RPMS are higher, therefore more power. Higher rpm = more HP, and at least on the R18 over 2500rpm gets you out of the econ VTEC range on the cam and into the "normal" cam profile. It feels much more powerful once you get up around 3k.
Makes sense. Thanks.

I didn't realize this thread was so versatile. Learning new things about different parts of the car from one question. Thanks guys and gals.

If it's 100* outside and 130* inside the car when starting up, I use reg. ac (outside air) until it cools down, then switch to max, or if I'm behind a diesel truck at a light, etc.

If it's 100* outside and 130* inside the car when starting up, I use reg. ac (outside air) until it cools down, then switch to max, or if I'm behind a diesel truck at a light, etc.
Side note for degrees.... "Hold" ALT key and type 0186 to get º .......... Have to use number pad(not the numbers above).

The a/c is pretty good on my si. we had a couple weeks of 90+ with killer hummidity 85%+ all of those days and my a/c struggled. but other than that it had been great! I dislike how when you put the window on defrost you can not turn the a/c off. i know it works better with it but sometimes just the constant small amount of air can take care of it.
Does having the temperature knob set to a higher degree or the fan speed on lower effect how often the compressor kicks on?

Back