Winter Rims / Tires Help

jayt101

Hi all,

I'm a completely noob when it comes to sizing tires. I'm looking for winter rims / tires. The person I'm getting it off of is asking me what size I want. I saw on another form that I can use 205/55R/16. Is that all I need to tell him or is there additional information that he needs? I would rather go with a 16" tire than a 15". Also, When I give him the size 205/55R/16, is that the rim size or the tire size? Or both? Thanks !

Do you have the wheels yet? 15" or 16" diameter wheels are fine. How wide are they? 6" steelies? If so, a tire width of 195 would be suitable as you don't want anything too wide for snow tires.

205/55R/16

That's essentially the whole tire size. 205 is the width, 55 is the thickness of the sidewall, and 16 is the diameter of the wheel the tire will fit. If you have a different diameter wheel, such as 15, that number needs to read 15.

In another post you wrote that you "went for a ride in the SI." The 2012/2013 SI comes with 17 inch rims from the factory, and 18 inch wheels if you opted for the hfp wheels.

If you're trying to put new tires on the stock wheels, you want 215/45-17 tires. That is a direct replacement.

If you're buying new wheels, the width of the rim you're buying is needed (to know how wide of a tire to buy). 15" is going to be a tough fit around the oem brakes/calipers. 16" would be better.

205/55R/16 is essentially what Honda is saying that I need. But I don't want to go with Honda since I found someone who will sell them for me for cheaper. So I will just suggest the 205/55R/16 size just like the dealer said. Thanks all :)

205/55R/16 is essentially what Honda is saying that I need. But I don't want to go with Honda since I found someone who will sell them for me for cheaper. So I will just suggest the 205/55R/16 size just like the dealer said. Thanks all :)
Do you have a 16" wheel to mount them on?

Not sure if I'm answering your question, but I'm buying the rims / tires all on one package. I'm actually buying them from my boss. He needs to know what size i'm looking for. So I just told him 205/55R/16 , so I assumed that means he'll get the tires already fitted on the rims?

You'll also need to have your tpms switched from your current wheels into the new winter wheels. Or get another set of tpms sensors and have them programmed by Honda. Otherwise you'll have an error on your imid until you get the oem wheels back on. The ecu only holds 1 set of sensor data, so you have to get them programmed each time you swap winter wheels, or you need to put the oem sensors into the winter wheels.

Back