"Flippable" tires

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
VIP Member
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
Has anyone had a tire with a symmetric tread pattern that allowed the tire to be flipped to wear the opposite shoulder? If so did you ever try it? I'm trying to decide between a couple different hi-perf tires. One being an asymmetric design, the other symmetric with the stated option of being able to flip the tire when it starts to wear. Curious if anyone has any experience with this.

No experience but interesting concept...i'm sure tires like these would be useful for those who run a lot of camber.

Asymmetric tire:

Bridgestone%2BRE11A%2B3.JPG

Symmetric tire that can supposedly be taken off the wheel, flipped, and run on the other shoulder:

2674818_orig.jpg

This is somewhat effecting my decision on what tire to get......

Let me help you make a choice....... don't use those as flippers..... They are the same across, but the rolling effect is different..... Has to do with how they channel on accel/braking.

"As those are pictured", the right side of pic should be the front of car on a powered axle...... There are some variances for rear wheel drive where the front would be better running as the left is the front. Since our cars are a powered front axle, it's best to stay with the right being front, for both front and rear wheels.

I think even the symmetrical thread pattern is directional in the examples provided. Put a left on the right and they won't be pushing water and debris away properly from under the tire. If you do it for all I guess it will be balanced just poor performance overall. Never tried it myself to be honest.

Something like this may work though (not a perfect example since it has a bit of assymetry) has to look the same flipped to the smallest detail from the same point of reference. For the V shaped pattern it will be inverted after flipping.

NT90WFlyoutTire

As they've mentioned, a number of tires are meant to channel rain/snow a certain direction. Flipping it will negate the tires ability to perform properly.

Back