Why is iMid wallpaper not an option!?

The upload wallpaper option on the 2014 Civic EX+ trim levels is only designed to appear on the 7" Display Audio touchscreen. Unfortunately, both the iMID & the Display Audio don't have ability separately; from the factory anyway. If you choose to go all custom on stuff, that's on you. I know nothing of that world & I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

If you were to purchase a 2014 Civic LX trim level, then the wallpaper option is only available on the iMID; because the Display Audio touchscreen is not present.

I think the idea behind which screen allows wallpaper images to be uploaded is size. Why would you want a wallpaper image on a 5" screen, when you can have it larger on a 7" screen with the appropriate trim level?

Last edited:
I have no idea how to display a wallpaper or why you would want a wallpaper on the 7" screen. That screen is constantly being used for the radio and to me makes no sense to have a wallpaper. The imid screen displays very little. The temperature,mileage and time. Makes perfect sense to be able to customize a wallpaper for that screen. If you look at the manual at the imid displays you see all the options for the imid display and full size analogue clock/wall paper is an option for the 2.4 liter Si. The Si comes standard with the 7" display so either Honda is awful at advertising there products online and creating an owners manual that makes sense or I am missing something.

Anyone know how to display the wallpaper on the 7" screen? There is not a trace of that in the owners manual as well.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I have no idea how to display a wallpaper or why you would want a wallpaper on the 7" screen. That screen is constantly being used for the radio and to me makes no sense to have a wallpaper. The imid screen displays very little. The temperature,mileage and time. Makes perfect sense to be able to customize a wallpaper for that screen. If you look at the manual at the imid displays you see all the options for the imid display and full size analogue clock/wall paper is an option for the 2.4 liter Si. The Si comes standard with the 7" display so either Honda is awful at advertising there products online and creating an owners manual that makes sense or I am missing something.

Anyone know how to display the wallpaper on the 7" screen? There is not a trace of that in the owners manual as well.
View attachment 34559 View attachment 34560 View attachment 34559 View attachment 34560 View attachment 34561 View attachment 34559

Gimme a sec. I'll grab one of my EX coupes off the lot & go through the process myself & report back.

@wademorales

Here ya go:
FIRST STEP of course... upload an image fitting the specific file type & size constraints (example was resized to 800 x 600 pixels) to a USB Flash Drive on the root directory. Easiest to literally have nothing else on it for that temporary use. Insert USB into the port below the Display Audio touchscreen.

How the Display Audio screen usually looks after starting the car (2014 Civic 2DR & 4DR EX+ trims only)image.jpg

Tap "HOME" image.jpg

Tap "Info" image.jpg

Tap "MENU" image.jpg

Tap "Clock/Wallpaper" image.jpg

Tap "Clock/Wallpaper Settings" (kinda do this step within a few seconds. It disappears shortly thereafter; otherwise just tap "MENU" once again) image.jpg

Tap "Clock/Wallpaper Type" image.jpg

Tap right-most folder/tab for "Wallpaper" image.jpg

Tap "Add New" at the bottom image.jpg

See next post for continued instructions

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Continued from previous post. ^

Tap "Start Import" after selecting the file name/photo you'd like
(note: one can upload THREE custom wallpaper images in total. One of which can be display at a time)
image.jpg

Tap "Set" or "Preview" if you'd like to see before you set image.jpg

Finished product
(this is just a "ctrl + print scrn" from my desktop here at work as the example)image.jpg

Hope that helps?

Last edited:
image.jpg Thank you so much for doing all that. I was successful in uploading the photos but had no idea how to display them. Now I noticed if I press info it displays the wallpaper. I guess that how to display it? Thanks so much mang! I still wish it could be displayed on imid since I use the main display so much I would probably not keep pressing the info button to display the wallpaper. It's just a fun thing anyways I guess.

Now I am hopeing that there will be a way to get iOS 7.1 IPhone carplay on my 2014 civic. That looks awesome. I just wonder if it's only going to be on later model Hondas or if there will be a software update. Hopefully you could let me know. Thanks again!

Aloha

Wade
image.jpg

I have no idea how to display a wallpaper or why you would want a wallpaper on the 7" screen....

I agree! The main navigation screen is used for radio options, call history, etc... Such a waste to have that screen used as a wallpaper while the iMid which is a watered down version can't have the wallpaper.

BTW, those pics you posted, its states it there "MODELS WITH ONE DISPLAY".

I got used to it, but would love it it was on the iMid instead

I just spent 20 minutes in my car learning I cant use the iMid display for my wallpaper. The wall paper on the 7" screen does seem a bit pointless since as everyone has mentioned before you would be constantly using it. I just wanted something on the iMid display that I could use to give my car a bit more of a theme that matches to me. I hope they make this an option again with some sort of firmware upgrade. For now I will just play the waiting game I guess =(. Thanks for all the info ^^

Wow. Talk about backwards.

My 2012 Si with oem nav allowed me to upload backgrounds for the imid no problem.

2014 Si with oem nav now doesn't allow it?

That's ridiculous. Now instead of a warning screen telling females to remove all tight fitting clothing, I have to tell them myself?!

Now I am hopeing that there will be a way to get iOS 7.1 IPhone carplay on my 2014 civic. That looks awesome. I just wonder if it's only going to be on later model Hondas or if there will be a software update. Hopefully you could let me know. Thanks again!
@SOLO8thGenSi do you have any insight into whether the Apple CarPlay will be available to those of us who have 2014 Civics with the Nav display once CarPlay is released? I've read that once it is, it will just be a matter of updating the software on the car to enable it.

so for 2014 we can't have wallpapers on the iMID ?

To my knowledge if you have the 7" display audio system you cannot set the imid wallpaper. They transferred that feature to the stereo which is a little silly in my opinion . I would prefer the option of both, but I like that people have done more with the imid display for a wallpaper.

The i-MID displays very little information??? I don't know what that guy is talking about. I prefer having the i-MID show the audio information while my Navi screen displays the map and my destination guidance. I have a 2013, so I can do wallpaper on the i-MID, but I rarely have it display wallpaper. I think it is more of a novelty. I leave it on the audio screen and I occasionally check my current fuel mileage and miles remaining to empty. I love how the i-MID screen shows the album artwork from the iPod. I think it is cool having the detailed audio information displayed next to the speedometer for easy viewing. With Navi models, we also get additional navigation direction displayed on the i-MID, and XM audio information too. Without Navi, the i-MID is the only screen for audio, so I don't understand why someone would claim it displays very little information. Unless they ripped out the factory stereo, which would reduce the functionality of the i-MID screen.

On the 2014 Civic, it will only be an option on the iMID if you DON'T have the touchscreen radio!

Otherwise, the wallpaper is setup through the touchscreen radio!

Thank you so much for doing all that. I was successful in uploading the photos but had no idea how to display them. Now I noticed if I press info it displays the wallpaper. I guess that how to display it? Thanks so much mang! I still wish it could be displayed on imid since I use the main display so much I would probably not keep pressing the info button to display the wallpaper. It's just a fun thing anyways I guess.

Aloha

Wade

What resolution did you upload? I made wallpapers with the imid resolution before I discovered that only the touchscreen would display wallpapers. Now I have the black bars.

Update: Used 800x480 ratio. I actually used 2046x1224 and that works fine. Bummer no simultaneous imid wallpaper. That big black imid screen is a bit pointless the more I look at it.

Last edited:
I just picked up a 2014 Si and thought I was losing my mind because I could not find the menus for updating the iMid image. I put the image on the touchscreen radio successfully. What I don't understand is why the iMid gives you the extra blank image screens as if you can add images. So, when scrolling through the fuel economy, clock, and power meter, I have to go through four blank black screens to get back to a useful one. Stupid!

Back