New guy here.... first Honda I've owned!

comporder1

Mississippi
Vehicle Model
Civic EXL
Body Style
Sedan
Hi all!

I have spent a lot time looking around here and other forums. I think this is a great community! Let me give you all a little of my background. My son has a muscular disease and has trouble stepping up into cars. We had been driving a 2012 focus which accommodated him well. It's rear door threshold was only 16 inches from the ground. Because of ongoing transmission issues we decided to trade off the focus for a 2014 Civic EXL. However the rear door threshold height is 18" and that 2" increase in height has proven to be a big deal for my son. Earlier this week I installed a set of 2"(front and back) lowering springs from D2 Racing and the stock front struts are now making noises. Unfortunately, because of the newness of the vehicle, I am not able to find any "performance" struts to replace the stock to try and quiet down the system. Also after a recent rain, the springs seem to squeak now on most any bump. I am ok with the ride quality of these springs. They make for a somewhat stiffer ride but it is acceptable trade for my son's ability to get in the car. I would prefer a stock feel, only 1.5-2" lower. I am also getting some rubs/scrapes on the front bumper on inclines. So I have started looking at replacing the D2 with the H&R Sport Springs. They advertise 1.6"/1.4" which is higher than the D2. Does anyone have experience with these springs on a 2014 Sedan? I haven't had the car aligned yet, because I want to get the ride height and comfort like I want it. Looking at the wheels, I am almost sure they will need camber adjustment. What system/brand would you guys suggest?

Here is a picture with the D2 springs: (odometer= 350mi :D )
photo.JPG

Let me say that this car is super nice! It has loads of gadgets (which is cool, because I'm a gadget kind of guy!). I'm also pretty excited about the possibility that iOS carplay may come to this model (fingers crossed!). I look forward to hearing from this community so I can get the ride height adjusted properly and comfortable.

Future plans:
Tint
Vent Visors
Low Profile Spoiler
Body Side Molding
Rear Bumper Protector
All Season OEM Floor Mats

Thank everyone in advance for your input,
Carey

Last edited:
Welcome :wavey: I had H&R springs on my 2012 and the ride was comfortable. You won't need front camber bolts with the H&R's. As for rear camber arms, some people opt out of getting them with the H&R's. If you want to ensure a proper alignment, it wouldn't hurt to buy a pair. I was able to get back into a proper alignment spec without rear camber arms, however I eventually purchased a pair. I initially went with Godspeed until I noticed some issues. I then bought a pair of Megan Racing rear camber arms which worked 100% until I traded in.

Thanks for the Welcome and advice on the Megan arms. I have looked at those and think the pink color will be interesting! :) I could learn to live with it!

Thanks for the Welcome and advice on the Megan arms. I have looked at those and think the pink color will be interesting! :) I could learn to live with it!

They come in blue as well. That's not as interesting as pink though lol.

Welcome to the forums! Glad you like the change over from the focus. The squeeks you hear is usually gonna be in the rear with the spring rubbing itself. Nothing drastic to be concerned about.

Hey there. Welcome.

Sounds like you might be in the market for a full set of coilovers. They will give you complete control over the ride height and usually have adjustable damping as well. Noises from lowering springs are pretty standard as the coil winds of the spring tend to come in contact with each other on occasion.

With the coilovers you could get the height dialed in just perfect for your son to be able to step into the car and still make it over some of the bumps and inclines you come into on your normal routes. The stock struts will last a little while on drop springs but are definitely not designed for the additional stress.

Thank you for your thoughts! I don't know much about coilovers, but what you describe is what I have read about them. The problem is that I have had two coilover manufactures tell me that I would not be happy with coilovers if I'm after a comfortable "stock-like" ride. Maybe I should try to find someone local that has a car with them and go for a ride.

what is "stock ride comfort"? lmao i love my stiff suspension on my konis

any coils for 13s SHOULD fit your 14. as far as i know they didnt tweak the fb2 (non si sedan) suspension.

Two manufactures have told me that the front spindle changed on the 14. And apparently there is a race to be the first to market with a coilover set as both told me they would be the first to release a set!

im glad you told me that! i really didnt realized it changed

So after much reading, I decided that I would try a different brand spring. I ordered an H&R sport set. I also bought SPC aluminum rear camber arm and front camber bolts. I started out by replacing the front springs... WOW what a difference!!! The ride is MUCH better than the D2's. There is zero noise from the suspension now. After test riding, still having the D2 springs on the rear, I decided to leave it as is because it rides so nice. It raised the front about 5/8" but kept the back with the lower D2's, and it is still accessible for my son. The front is 24 7/8" and the back is 25 1/8". I still haven't put on the camber adjustment parts. I think I'm just going to let the shop install them when they do the alignment on Monday.

I'm excited to finally get this project figured out! Anyone need a set of D2 front springs? :) I'm going to hang on to the rear H&R springs just in case.

Also booked a date with the only tint installer in town. I'll post updated pics down the road.

Thanks everyone for their advise and welcomes!

Carey

It's been a while since my last post. All of the camber adjustment parts were installed then aligned. I did not realize how bad the toe was out just because of the lowering springs. To those reading this thread for advice, you MUST get an alignment after springs or you will destroy your tires.

I also got tint installed. I am not rich enough to risk a ticket ($200-$300 here) so I stayed at the legal limit of 28%. It's pretty good, but I would have preferred 15%.

I'm very happy with the look and drive of the car. We recently went on a short weekend trip and got 37MPG on the 250 mile round trip.

Below is the latest picture beside my old 2003 Dodge 1500 (w/ worst factory paint EVER!). The truck has factory 15 on the back. Car needs washing too! :)

be3aqegu.jpg

Good to hear the car is working out for you guys. Ride height low enough for easy entry still?

Yes! It is working out nicely for my son.

The height also manages most places we go relatively easy. The only thing that has scrapped is the front wheel splash/rock guards. I may eventually take them off, except I like the look and the thought they may be protecting the paint on the sides.

2500 miles on it now.

How is the MPG in city driving? And do you have any concerns on keeping the leather seat in good sharp in a period of long time? What factors make you to go with EX-L instead of EX?

Back