Super Mod
VIP Member
Toys For Tots
Alexandria, VA
Vehicle Model
Generation X
Body Style
Dad
Wondering if anyone else is having this issue with their seats on their 2014 or 2013...
Something inside my driver's seat in my 2014 Si is creaking during any movement of the car.

Turning? Creak.
Light bump in the road? Creak.
Leaning any direction 0.5 degrees? Creak.

I've narrowed it down to somewhere in the middle of the upright inside the seat itself near the lumbar support. Seems to me they are more hollow inside than on the 2012's. This didn't really start happening until after several 90+ degree Fahrenheit temperature days. And no, I'm not fat.

It's enough that I'm inclined to disassemble the entire seat just to fix it.
Anyone else experiencing this? I've had the car for all of three months and have barely put any miles on it, so I don't know.

Weird.
No creaking from mine.
@jasonandre why would't you take it back to the dealership and ask them to figure it out or give you a new seat? I wouldn't start messing with it myself especially since the car is pretty much new.

• Staff
Dealerships are usually my last resort. Right now it's more of a minor annoyance. I guess I need to let the rage build first before I give in and have it checked out by them.

Dealerships are usually my last resort. Right now it's more of a minor annoyance. I guess I need to let the rage build first before I give in and have it checked out by them.
Wondering if anyone else is having this issue with their seats on their 2014 or 2013...
Something inside my driver's seat in my 2014 Si is creaking during any movement of the car.

Turning? Creak.
Light bump in the road? Creak.
Leaning any direction 0.5 degrees? Creak.

I've narrowed it down to somewhere in the middle of the upright inside the seat itself near the lumbar support. Seems to me they are more hollow inside than on the 2012's. This didn't really start happening until after several 90+ degree Fahrenheit temperature days. And no, I'm not fat.

It's enough that I'm inclined to disassemble the entire seat just to fix it.
Anyone else experiencing this? I've had the car for all of three months and have barely put any miles on it, so I don't know.
Your seat has a height adjustment feature. If you have the seat adjusted high it does more stress on the seat track and it may creak. adjust the seat lower a little and see if that helps you

• Staff
Thanks Zammittt, although I've already tried readjustments. I have to pretty much keep the height at it's lowest setting because I'm so tall.

Yes, I've had mine since Monday and it does this as well. For me it's a popping sound.

I don't hear it over music, or while driving. Just when I readjust my position. It usually happens when I relieve pressure from the seat. I hear it mostly when the car isn't running and when I typically exit the vehicle. It is faint, but I know it's there.

Good info.
I chose "creak" over "squeak" because it's not high-pitched at all. It's a similar sound to plastic rubbing on plastic.
Good chance there's little difference in the manufacturing between 2012 and 2014, so I guess it's the luck of the draw.
Personally, I'd like to fix it myself. Trying to get the dealership to replicate it is mostly futile in my experience. They have a habit of dismissing everything unless it's blatantly obvious...just like the apartment technicians who dismiss my non-functioning kitchen lights every summer. Thank God I'm moving next month, but I digress...
If it becomes more frequent our louder, that's when I'll drive over to the dealer.

My '12 SI would creak all the time. Drove me nuts. Took it to the dealer...they did nothing.

Both the front seats creak in my car, too. It happens when I lean on the side bolsters.

Hey guys is this what ur looking for?

Hi Everyone,

This past week or so I had a creaking sound out of my drivers side seat on my 2012 Civic SI.
Very annoying, anytime that leaned to the left or right in my seat while not driving u could hear it. The sound sounded like it was coming from the left side of the bottom of the seat closest to the door but in the rear of the seat. When driving, I would only get the sound of it from making left hand turns. Occasionally right hand turns. I took the vehicle to the dealer and what they thought that the plastic trim that covers the bottom of the seat where the handles are is where it was coming from, and I kinda thought that too. So I left the car at the dealer and they call me next day saying that they took the panel off and put some foam tape on all the surfaces where that plastic panel meets the frame of the seat.
Well I pick the car up next day and the sound was kind of better but I could tell if I drove a little more aggressively with it I could get it to make just as much noise, so that really didn't fix anything at all. My car is still under warranty and I shouldn't have to deal with trying to fix it myself but, I like to work
icon1.png
on my car and do things that I would normally not take the car into the dealer for.

So I decided to look at it myself and reading on this forum I did find the popping sound post about people talking about the seat making a popping sound but this sound is different it's more of a creaking.

Here is how I fixed it.
I took the the panel off, removed the two handles and removed 3 screws one holding the panel on by the seat adjustment handle and 2 on the level for leering and raising the seat.

Next I started looking at the seat and looking for things rubbing couldn't duplicate that sound. But then I looked at the structural parts of the frame where the seat attaches to the car. I noticed withy the seat fully raised up as high as it would go that there are actually 2 pivot points where the seat is raised and lowered almost like hinges. Since the noise is coming from the left side of the seat I just used some WD-40 and put some lube in those joints which look to be press fit in and can't be removed without dismantling the seat completely or replacing like I have read some owners who have taken their car in the entire frame. After that I test drove the car found somewhere there is a lot of left and right turns and guess what the creaking sound is completely gone.

I am thinking that if anyone who has an issue like this should definitely check those joints. Not only that but maybe the previous generation of civics have that same similar seat frame and could also use this. I'm not sure if from the factory there is supposed to be grease in there or in my particular case the grease got dry or wasn't greased to begin with, but for some reason it hasn't made a noise till now since the car was new.

Its just the seat being worn. Happened on my FA5 and will not be surprised if my FG4 does it in a few years, I'll just throw the brides in her.

Many thanks to adirdieselx64 for taking the time to investigate the source or the sound. I think its worth a shot. And I'd bet the 8thGen Civic is nearly the exact same.

Cannot wait to put brides in and be done with it...my seats do the same when turning. But theres also a creaking from my sunroof area when it is closed

Back