Hondalink Navigation Reviews

mdcbruin

Hey Guys,

So I've been searching the forum and reviews and have found pretty mixed reviews regarding the Hondalink Navigation on the 2014 Civic EX+. What seems to be the verdict for the people who have purchased the $60 app? Is it worth it?

I've been holding out for the Apple CarPlay, but it seems like that may not come anytime soon. Do you guys think the $60 app is worth it? What kind of bugs have you guys experienced? Does the voice guidance work well? And lastly, is it accurate?

Thanks!

If you have $60.00 to burn you can give it a go. Apparently they were not ready for iOS8 so it's got new bugs. Honda was kind enough to send an email out saying not to update to iOS8 due to the bugs.

The voice guidance in my opinion is poor. It tells you in 100 feet turn left, but does not give you the street name. The workaround I use is that I turn a setting on that displays the step by step turn guide and just read the street names myself off the screen. I had had issues with the gps thinking that I have gotten off the freeway when infact I have not. It does seem to do this quite often. I just ignore what it says till it reroutes itself.

I find myself using Google maps & waze more often because of the more accurate guidance & voice instructions.

Also having the 1' hdmi cable wrapped around in the storage bin before the shift nob tends to get in the way / ugly to look at.

From my history with using this app I find honda is super slow to update their app. I have seen 1 update since I bought my car & app since February. I cannot imagine honda actually thinks this app works all that well.

For myself as an owner of this app I am desperately waiting for CarPlay. That way apple & the third party vendors can update the apps faster than the current rate.

Good luck on your decision. Sorry for the typos I'm just waking up >.>

Please keep in mind you have to buy the $100.00 worth of cables.

Side note if you do not purchase them from honda it's probably about $25.00 cheaper ;)

I purchased my car with nav built-in.
I did try out the nav app on an iPhone using a different car that didn't have nav. It's definitely a tad slower than the built-in version, and like Todai said, you have to purchase the $99 cable to use it.
If money isn't a factor, I recommend buying the navigation built-in. Besides the application being much faster, you have a slew of physical sensors added to the car that make it much more accurate.

If you have $60.00 to burn you can give it a go. Apparently they were not ready for iOS8 so it's got new bugs. Honda was kind enough to send an email out saying not to update to iOS8 due to the bugs.

The voice guidance in my opinion is poor. It tells you in 100 feet turn left, but does not give you the street name. The workaround I use is that I turn a setting on that displays the step by step turn guide and just read the street names myself off the screen. I had had issues with the gps thinking that I have gotten off the freeway when infact I have not. It does seem to do this quite often. I just ignore what it says till it reroutes itself.

I find myself using Google maps & waze more often because of the more accurate guidance & voice instructions.

Also having the 1' hdmi cable wrapped around in the storage bin before the shift nob tends to get in the way / ugly to look at.

From my history with using this app I find honda is super slow to update their app. I have seen 1 update since I bought my car & app since February. I cannot imagine honda actually thinks this app works all that well.

For myself as an owner of this app I am desperately waiting for CarPlay. That way apple & the third party vendors can update the apps faster than the current rate.

Good luck on your decision. Sorry for the typos I'm just waking up >.>

Few questions for you.... First of all, what EXACTLY is "Apple CarPlay"??? Been hearing a lot about this

Second... when you say you find yourself using Google Maps on the iphone more, how is that possible? When you mirror the phone on the 7 inch screen it turns off when you put the car into drive.

Thanks in advance

-Mike

apple carplay was the video I posted for you in the other thread. The guy looked that the andoid/apple version in the hyundai.

I think he's saying he's using google maps on his phone instead of using the honda app.

Bottom line is that I can't even download this $60 app even if i wanted to. Honda has come out and admitted that its not good with iOS8 (which i have)

i just wish there was a way to use google maps on the screen while driving.

Back