Car paint protection

eric.schwartz.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to garage my new civic Si at all. I'm looking heavily into what my other options are for protection such as xzylion and 3m. Has anyone ever use this products and if so how good are they?

I'm not sure if I posted this topic already and if I did please forgive me. My 2014 Si coupe and orange need some paint protection since I arrived so quickly unfortunate. I was looking at 3m. Or xzylion. Anything that anyone recommends, how well does it protect and how easy the application?

Last edited by a moderator:
After using the 3M defender, I recommend that you get the clear bra. The paint defender will change texture and have discoloration in a month. 3M advertised it to last for one year. However, they did not mention what the film would look like.

Any good synthetic sealant will work. The key to a good finish is in the prep. Chemical and mechanical decontamination of the paint.

I've been using this for a while. It's great and very easy to use. I'm also just too lazy to upgrade to the really serious stuff like CQuartz or OptiCoat.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Blackfire-M32/Crystal-Seal-Paint-Sealant-P616/4-oz-S1/

If you prefer a more traditional wax, Collinite 845 gives fantastic protection and lasts pretty long as well. I had very good luck with it during NorthEast salt bath winters.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Collinite-M55/845-Insulator-Wax-P668/16-oz-S1/

If you're really serious about doing a full decon and polish first then you could try one of the professional coatings. If you mess up though, you will be sorry.
http://www.detailedimage.com/CarPro-M53/Cquartz-Ceramic-Quartz-Paint-Protection-P601/

The new hotness
http://www.detailedimage.com/22ple-M57/VX1-P680/30-ml-S2/

Don't waste your time with the dealer applied xzylion. They will most likely do a quick slap on job of applying it without any consideration other than a quick wash first. You'll have bug guts and dirt trapped under the coating.

I would like to protect my hood. The dings and little rock scratches are ridiculous.
Clear bra only lasts a year? I would like to have something that is more long term.

Last edited:
I had a clear-bra on my last Civic, thanks to @webby of course. It covered the front bumper, hood, A-pillars, door handles, etc.
Obviously that doesn't cover the entire car, so for that I suggest a clear coat sealant. There are many options in this realm and I had chosen CQuartz Finest, which has a two-year warranty and costs roughly $500.
That might sound like a lot to pay, but we're talking about your car here. It's really worth every penny if you care at all about your ride.

Last edited:
One ofmy coworkers who has a brand new 2015 GTI has this on his car... Xpel ultimate. She said its awesome what do you guys think about it or have you ever heard about it before?

So you would also recommend the 3m clear bra? I've heard it's so so does it provide the ultimate winter protection for my fresh new paint answering my si is about a month old at this point?... Haha unfortunately, paint protection is so confusing these days so so many different products out there, and everyone has their own strong opinion. I just want the best product for the best price as everyone else does. The usage of my car / storage will be outside it won't be in a garage so its going to hit snow unfortunately.

3m is the hardest to apply from all of the shops I've talked with. It's more difficult to wrap it on complex curves. Ventureshield is made by 3m, but it's easier to apply than just the branded 3m film. Xpel, venture, 3m...all quality films with long warranties that will last.

3m is the hardest to apply from all of the shops I've talked with. It's more difficult to wrap it on complex curves. Ventureshield is made by 3m, but it's easier to apply than just the branded 3m film. Xpel, venture, 3m...all quality films with long warranties that will last.
Yeah that's what I'm noticing. I wouldn't be wrapping myself I would have to shop for state that's 1 of the best maternal to use use because couse once it's done it's done...

Back