Oil change

Kevv_Si

Indianapolis
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
FB6
This is silly to ask but it's about time for an oil and filter change on my car (4,654 on OD) , I always use fram on my cars but there's a thread on here that says they're bad? What's the recommended filter to use? And If it's oem like I read would I just go to honda and order one. Again sorry for the nooby post. All new to me.

The oem honda filter is built quite well. Mobil 1 filter is built very similarly.

You MM said do a oil AND filter change at 4654? I heard other people here said their first MM came on near that milage too but old told to a Oil Change WITHOUT filter. (Code A on the MM)

People over at Bobistheoilguy generally agree that the Fram Ultra Synthetic (which is the renaming of Extended Guard) are pretty good filters. People don't like Fram because of their value filter, the Extra Guard. They have cardboard end caps and plastic antidrain back valves. But the Extra Guard filter is intended to work for 5000 miles, thats why the materials are cheap.

I do use OEM filters... Just thought I'd list some good alternates.

And, I'm a believer in changing filter at every oil change........... Back in the 50/60/70's when we were changing oil at 2500/3000 miles people did change filters every other oil change........ But, now days the oil and engines don't need changing that often due to the better quality of both...... I wouldn't want to use any filter past 5000
I change using Honda oil, & filter every 5000............

Stick with oem fiters and oil imo. It's what is designed to go in our engine. It's almost like the octane rating in gas. As long as you have something that is working good enough anything supposedly "better" isn't going to make a difference. And maybe it's just me but i don't believe advertisements. I don't actually know that anything other than Honda oil is actually better for my car. My 2 cents.

I really like the Wix filter...or should I switch to purolator?
I would buy a set (maybe 6) of Genuine Honda A01 Filters (not A02) and go to Walmart and buy the 5 qt Jug of Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Oil for about $22. (Price varies depending on location). Thats what I would do. I do OEM filter with M1 Oil.

Edited: For grammer and spelling

I would buy a set (maybe 6) of Genuine Honda A01 Filters (not A02) and go to Walmart and buy the 5 qt Jug of Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Oil for about $22. (Price varies depending on location). Thats what I would do. I do OEM filter with M1 Oil.

Edited: For grammer and spelling

Well I have to use 0w-20 on my si...I usually use the oreilly brand since it is made by mobile 1.... I may switch back to the OEM filters though, all I have used is the wix filter since my car had 11 miles on it

Do yall also switch out the crush washer too? What size is it if so? I probably should start doing that considering I have cracked into the 30k mileage

Do yall also switch out the crush washer too? What size is it if so? I probably should start doing that considering I have cracked into the 30k mileage

It is recommended to change it every time. I have reused them before without problem when I was out. I just go to the dealership and get like a dozen or so.

It is recommended to change it every time. I have reused them before without problem when I was out. I just go to the dealership and get like a dozen or so.

Ahh okay good Idea, I guess from what I am reading on here I will also switch from the Wix filter back to the OEM one, and with the oil too.

Yes. It is recommended that you change the crush washer everytime you do an oil change. OEM filters should have a washer taped on the them if bought from a reputable source.

FYI........ A crush ring washer when new acts like a pressurized contact to keep the bolt from coming loose, once it's has been compressed it looses most of ability to accomplish this, so then ppl try to tighten the bolt more to compensate, which leads to stripping the treads on the oil pan.......

FYI........ A crush ring washer when new acts like a pressurized contact to keep the bolt from coming loose, once it's has been compressed it looses most of ability to accomplish this, so then ppl try to tighten the bolt more to compensate, which leads to stripping the treads on the oil pan.......

Got it, I shall never do that again! I will prolly buy OEM filters from here on out, so they should come with one

Got it, I shall never do that again! I will prolly buy OEM filters from here on out, so they should come with one
Just for the record, this wasn't directed "at you", just for any one that wasn't aware of the reasons for changing them, we all start from somewhere.

Back