HELP!!! solid shifter cable bushing stuck :(

Brian Klimathianos

Orlando, Fl
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
sedan
I was installing the corsport aluminum shifter cable bushings and i goofed, everything was going good. I installed the smaller one good, the bigger one was giving me problems taking it out and I finally ended up getting it, then I ended up putting the solid one in backward with the lip facing the top and I pressed it in pretty tight. Is their anyway I can take this thing out i've been trying with vise grips but it's too tight in there I'm just chewing up the outside of the bushing. I was thinking of using 2 vise grips and clamping one on the cable and another on the bushing end. Anyone have any better ideas, my cars out of commission and I need help.

Take some pics so we can see what we're dealing with?
Here's what I'm dealing with, last resort I'm taking the whole cable off and bringing it to my shop and putting it on the vise

Attachments

• 20141209_060105.jpg
    20141209_060105.jpg
    715.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20141209_060051.jpg
    20141209_060051.jpg
    772.4 KB · Views: 40
Have you got access to a bearing puller? It looks like you might be able to get one of those hooked on the groove. Just a way to get a good grip on it to try and work it back out of there. That plus some heat & WD-40 might be able to wiggle it loose.

These thingies:

mechanical-bearing-puller-18813-2475955.jpg

Have you got access to a bearing puller? It looks like you might be able to get one of those hooked on the groove. Just a way to get a good grip on it to try and work it back out of there. That plus some heat & WD-40 might be able to wiggle it loose.

These thingies:

mechanical-bearing-puller-18813-2475955.jpg
I might call up places and see if I can rent them, but the groove on the cable side is just to small to get a grip, if I was able to pull it out on the lip of the bushing this wouldn't be that difficult :(

I think you can get one super cheap at harbor freight if you have one near you. It doesn't have to be a super nice one since this might be a one time use item. I've gotten lots of "sacrificial" tools there.

$15-20

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/pullers.html

If you find one with a small or sharp enough pulling lip you might be able to slip it under the bearing.

I think you can get one super cheap at harbor freight if you have one near you. It doesn't have to be a super nice one since this might be a one time use item. I've gotten lots of "sacrificial" tools there.

$15-20

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/pullers.html

If you find one with a small or sharp enough pulling lip you might be able to slip it under the bearing.
I'm gonna have to look into that cause I really don't wanna take it out, even tho it looks easy lol. I'll go by harbor freight tomorrow! Do they make pullers that small tho, I hope it works :(

They may have one. I don't think you'll be able to operate it in the standard fashion with the center post to pull the bushing up but it may just give you the grip you need to get a wrench on the puller itself to get the part out.

check around that whole aisle while you're there. Sometimes you can finagle something to work even though it kills the tool in the process.

I believe the bearing puller could be used as a "pusher".

Hook the 3 feet onto the cars bushing ring and crank down on the on that middle rod of the puller to push out the corsport bushing.

They may have one. I don't think you'll be able to operate it in the standard fashion with the center post to pull the bushing up but it may just give you the grip you need to get a wrench on the puller itself to get the part out.

check around that whole aisle while you're there. Sometimes you can finagle something to work even though it kills the tool in the process.
The puller worked great with a bit finagling lol

I got it!! But now my car won't start, did I pull the cables out of adjustment? What do I do now lol

Really? I wouldnt think a stretched cable would prevent from making the car turn on. Got me on this one…..

Is it cranking at all? Dead battery? Check engine light on dash?

Yea, that's weird... maybe a ground got knocked loose somewhere in there?

Glad the bushing came out though. That's good to hear.

Yea, that's weird... maybe a ground got knocked loose somewhere in there?

Glad the bushing came out though. That's good to hear.
No all the lights come up but I turn the ignition but it's like the clutch isn't showing it's there to turn the car, no cranking or anything @webby @Nomar06. Could me pulling the cable into a different position or putting the transmission in a different gear matched with cable done that? I shift through the gears and it's pretty stiff and it gets stiffer putting in 5th or 6th. Hope I didn't kink the cable :(

do you just have the stock oem bushing in now, or you put the corsport back in?

Back