Apple CarPlay

The fact that the advertisement for CarPlay on the Apple site uses the interior of the 9th gen Civic to show the product and to this day it hasn't been made available is the most frustrating part. :mad:

I saw someone posted on twitter that Honda stated only the 2016+ civics will be getting carplay and the older ones won't be backwards compatible. :(

That's such a huge fail especially since they show the 9th gen interior on the Apple website as if it was all ready to go. Talk about false advertising!
My guess is they tried it out on the current gen but couldn't get it to work without it being buggy since Apple has requirements on what CarPlay should run on.

That is pretty funny, so typical of Honda. The DisplayAudio head unit meets the hardware requirements...just a big dumb screen with USB/HDMI inputs. It could easily be upgradable by software, but Honda is so far behind in technology, and they prefer you to use their lousy HondaLink feature, you will probably never see CarPlay even though they claim to be onboard. They claimed to be a participating partner in 2014, yet they haven't been able to produce a head unit that has CarPlay. So don't hold your breath for 2016 either. CarPlay is just eye-candy anyway. You can already do the majority of functions using Siri at this moment. Most people hate the DisplayAudio stereo for the lack of physical buttons while driving. Big mistake having a big touchscreen which requires you to take your eyes off the road to use a simple function. Honda's stereos are garbage anyway. People are better off ripping out the stereo and installing an aftermarket unit that currently supports CarPlay.

Another question, someone knows what is this USB for that I found at the glove box. It have power but will not communicate with the radio media function.

Attachments

• USB1.jpg
    USB1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 24
  • USB2.jpg
    USB2.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 20
  • USB3.jpg
    USB3.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 22

View: https://youtu.be/vDzo7DU4XM4

If we can only find a way to use the HDMI running the car this can be a very good option if we 9th gen Civic owners can't upgrade to CarPlay because Firmware or Hardware limitations.

If you could get it to work..... To my understanding you still wouldn't have touch functionality... Am I mistaken? Controlling it from the phone would kind of be pointless =/

Back