2013 Civic SI - Broken tab on Air Filter box

jayt101

Hi guys,

I posted this on another forum but wanted to get people's opinions here. I recently tried to replace my air filter for the first time. Everything was going smoothly until I tried to close the filter box. I didn't realize you were suppose to clip the box at the two tabs at the back so I added a bit of force and one of the tabs broke right off (See attached photo).

I took it to the dealer and he managed to put the box back on but is now supported by that one plastic tab in the rear along with the two clips. He told me that I don't need replace the air filter box since its pretty secure but then told me that he would do it if it was his SI.

My question is, should I replace my Air Filter box? Will it cause damage in the long run? I think the filter will stop any debris from entering the engine and the MAF sensor will show me an engine error if anything happens. What would you do if you were in my position?

Attachments

• air filter.jpg
    air filter.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 22
The box serves one purpose, to keep chit out..... to get another box will serve two purposes... to make sure you don't get crap inside, and to be more careful $$$$ in the future..... Time and money makes us more effective........

If nothing else you could have a system air leak.......

Reactions: Nix
If i were in your position, i'd use some electrical tape/silicone gasket/some other glue or tape just to make sure it stays shut and there are no gaps around the box.
Not saying that's the best course of action, but that's what i would do because i'm cheap.

As of right now I just don't have the money to replace the air filter box. Looks like thats what i'll have to do though :(

Ya, I was going to say zip ties. Drill a small hole where it doesn't interfere and let more air in and just zip tie the pieces together.
The replacement parts are inexpensive though.

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I broke the tab on the lower half. As of right now I think everything is sealed properly as far as i can tell as I couldnn't even move the top part and I used a lot of strength. I'll zip tie it though to add that extra security before I replace the lower half.

Cheers,

Back