reflective tape

DiogoDC

woodbridge
Vehicle Model
si
Body Style
sedan
did a quick search through a few threads and havent sen anything on this topic.
was curious to see if anyone has use the silver or gold heat reflective tape on any of their engine bits. i know this is more common on forced induction applications but anyone wanna shed some light on benefits if any on wrapping parts such as an intake to prevent it from heat soak or at least delay the effect of it longer?

Haven't seen anyone do it here. I don't know that it'd honestly make much of a difference on a non-turbo vehicle. Air is rushing through the intake tube at high speed. I can't see the walls of the pipe really making a big difference with the short amount of time the air would be near/against it. @axion_industries or one of the other vendors may prove me wrong with first world experience.

My idea is that after time the piping itself must get hotter in comparison to startup and first few minueltea driving so the air will eventually get hotter. But with the filter being in the engine bayay be pointless....

The Gold tape helps but it only does so much, its more for very aggressive setups that run very high temps. You have to remember how hot the intake pipe gets, the intake manifold will still be much hotter. We have a couple things coming up to stop heat issues that might help with some power

The one thing that always comes to mind when I see people heat wrapping metal piping in their engine bay is that I would think that would make these components would get a lot hotter. You're basically taking away the ability for the metal to dissipate it's heat.

I heat wrapped my exhaust on my bike to keep the heat off of my leg..... It seems to keep it in, at least on the exhaust end. Perhaps it could keep it out on an intake? But like axion says, there are more components after the intake....

Just to clarify...

Heat reflective tape is an adhesive tape designed to reflect heat away from whatever it is applied to.
Usually applied to intake components to keep the heat away from the intake air.
Looks like this:
010391-dei-reflectagold.jpg

Insulating heat wrap is a non-adhesive wrap designed to keep heat in and not let it spread. Usually applied to exhaust components to keep the exhaust heat from reaching other parts of the engine bay, specifically the intake components.
Looks like this:
thermo-tec-heat-wrap-white-1.jpg

I feel like @Nix now

I heat wrapped my exhaust on my bike to keep the heat off of my leg..... It seems to keep it in, at least on the exhaust end. Perhaps it could keep it out on an intake? But like axion says, there are more components after the intake....

Thanks for the clarification. I totally had the wrong thing in mind lol.[emoji13]

^ what he said... I was thinking the insulating wrap View attachment 46634
See on my exhaust

Wow, I was thinking the exhaust type wrap as well. I don't think I've ever seen the heat reflective tape before.

I wrapped the k&n intake on my S with the reflective tape. It helps a ton with, what is it, heat sink i think they call it? Bogging down/loss of power after long red lights or in traffic. When actually moving and theres air flowing through the bay there's no noticeable difference.

If you monitor your IAT sensor you should see that it is the same as the outside ambient temperature while moving, even at slower speeds.

Honestly if you have the time and money use the heat wrap on your downpipe. It keeps the most heat from spreading. I wrapped the header on my 97 civic and it lowered engine bay temps by a noticeable amount.

Just as an example of how well it works the header would normally burn you instantly if you were to touch it right after you turn the engine off. With the wrap on I can touch the header for a second or two before its noticeably hot, and after about 10 minutes you can barely even notice the heat anymore.

a combination of both, wraping the exhaust to reduce ambient temps within the hood and utilizing the reflective tape on the intake piping components to reduce heat soke. even if you saw 4-5 degree in consistent AIT youre looking at almost a 10% increase in power just from buying cheap materials. you could also do the coolant bypass on the throttle body, plus the P2R spacer with thermal gaskets on both ends, possisbly thermal intake manifold gasket. All these modifications individually might not show much of a gain. but all together im sure youll notice atleast the 10% increase in power just from reducing AIT's!!!!

a combination of both, wraping the exhaust to reduce ambient temps within the hood and utilizing the reflective tape on the intake piping components to reduce heat soke. even if you saw 4-5 degree in consistent AIT youre looking at almost a 10% increase in power just from buying cheap materials. you could also do the coolant bypass on the throttle body, plus the P2R spacer with thermal gaskets on both ends, possisbly thermal intake manifold gasket. All these modifications individually might not show much of a gain. but all together im sure youll notice atleast the 10% increase in power just from reducing AIT's!!!!
got a link for that coolant bypass mod?

got a link for that coolant bypass mod?

I'm wondering why the coolant is routed through the throttle body? I'm thinking there's a good reason for it.

I'm wondering why the coolant is routed through the throttle body? I'm thinking there's a good reason for it.
Coolant routed through the TB is beneficial for those those who live in freezing temperatures. so when you started your car, your coolant will run through TB to prevent it from seizing up. However or those who live in hot climates like Cali, Nevada, AZ etc... the last thing you want is hot coolant running through your throttle body!

Coolant routed through the TB is beneficial for those those who live in freezing temperatures. so when you started your car, your coolant will run through TB to prevent it from seizing up. However or those who live in hot climates like Cali, Nevada, AZ etc... the last thing you want is hot coolant running through your throttle body!
That's what I thought.

I've seen temperatures in my town from -11F (February 2014) up to +104. No consistency!

Back