DIY Parking light delete

Abbz8377

Boston
Vehicle Model
CIVIC
Body Style
SI
This is an old school mod from back in the day I figured I would give it a shot on the civic and see if it worked.What this will do is eliminate your parking lights and only allow your headlights and fog lights to be on at night. But the lights will come on as they should when you use your directionals. It really cleans up the front of the car without those ugly orange bulbs

Step 1. Pull back fender liners and remove orange parking light bulbs
bulb1.jpg

Step.2 Place a piece of electrical tape over the little metal tab on front and back of the bulb only on one side

bulb2.jpg

bulb3.jpg

This can be kinda tricky to do you need to play with the directionals while doing the install. Have your headlights on insert the bulb back into the clip if you did it right the bulb should not be on. To test it hit directional and if you did it correctly it should start blinking and turn off when you turn the directional off. One more important thing is to make sure you push the bulb into the clip with a little extra force so it does not fall into your directional housing trust me it's a huge pain in the a$$ to get that bulb out once it falls in.

It really cleans the front of the car up I did this on a few other cars. It's just kind of a pain in the *** you need to make sure the tape covers both conducter's on one side of the bulb then test it. And make sure you push the bulb in the clip all the way I had one fall out into the directional housing it was a BITCHH to get out took me like 2 hours.

And it really makes the HID'S and fogs stand out a little more.

You need the bulb its your turn signal what happens is when you place the tape over the bulb it turns it off and when you hit the directional it knows to turn it on.

So at night all you will see is fogs and headlights no bright orange turn signal bulb

thats what i was thinking gonna see if i can get it done over the weekend need something to do seeing as someone sold fp right out from under me @Abbz8377

The only hard part is just getting to the bulb everything else is simple and like i said because there is tape on the bulb it needs to be pressed in tightly to the socket or else it will fall into the direction housing that happened to me today I had to rig up an allen wrench wrapped in electrical tape and fish the bulb out.

Likely not. Pauley we have our DRL. And there is no Canadian law that I'm aware of that says we need amber corners to be on

Not sure about other provinces or states but in Quebec the motor vehicle inspection guide does mention parking lights. They need to be white or amber. I'm also not sure of the difference between a minor or major defect. The yellow exclamation points are a minor defect. The red stop signs are a major defect. They all need to working to pass though.

1b4824b9acb442b4e728bb7bcb0f623e.jpg

I've never heard of anyone being ticketed for not having amber lights running while just driving. The big deal would be them activating while turning.

US Law -

Found an article -
S5.5.7 On each passenger car and motorcycle, and on each multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, and bus of less than 80 inches overall width: (a) When the parking lamps are activated, the taillamps, license plate lamps, and side marker lamps shall also be activated; and (b) When the headlamps are activated in a steady-burning state, the tail lamps, parking lamps, license plate lamps and side marker lamps shall also be activated.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2004-title49-vol5/pdf/CFR-2004-title49-vol5-sec571-108.pdf
page 11

Yes forward facing lights in Ontario as well need to be amber or clear. Nothing stated about jot having parking lights ON while forward lights are still on. I'd assume if your turn signals are still functional it wouldn't be an issue. I'm doing this mod

Switchbacks are cool idea. Yes more expensive...but really slick, how they match headlight color and flash amber.

Last edited:
What if you just snip off the metal tab I know they aren't hard to bend and some wire cutters can snip them. Then you won't have any hassle putting them back in. I'm gonna try this tonight.

Back