Consumer Reports - on UHP Summer tires

Redrocket1

Kalamazoo, MI
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
Just wanted to share a list of what consumer reports has named their top picks for ulta-high-performance summer tires for sporty cars in this month's car issue...

Pirelli P Zero
Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Yokohama Advan Sport V105
Nokian zLine
Continental Extreme Contact DW
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical 2
Vredestein Ultrac Vorti

I haven't had a chance to read through it yet. Did it have the pilot super sports on top?

:coffee:

3B9112BF-444D-490C-84E0-572CE86DBA13_zpseqpdkhbt.jpg

I haven't had a chance to read through it yet. Did it have the pilot super sports on top?

They just listed them as recommended in that order but I am not sure that is ranked. In terms of dry and wet performance we found the Super Sports are the Top dog for a Max Performance summer tire. They are just the best overall rounded.

Whats the difference with the ZR and the R pilot super sports?
from another tire site -

ZR basically means the tire is adapted for speeds above 149 mph. ZR tires includes the speed ratings V(149mph), W(168mph) and Y(186mph).

Before 1990, the manufacturers used "ZR" to mean high performance tires before the ratings got refined with W, Y…

Nowadays, the marking ZR is not relevant anymore but it is still used in the catalogues of manufacturers and tire retailers.
Look for the speed ratings V,W,Y to find the modern equivalent to ZR tyres and not for the marking ZR.
What really matters is the speed rating (V,W or Y).

from another tire site -

ZR basically means the tire is adapted for speeds above 149 mph. ZR tires includes the speed ratings V(149mph), W(168mph) and Y(186mph).

Before 1990, the manufacturers used "ZR" to mean high performance tires before the ratings got refined with W, Y…

Nowadays, the marking ZR is not relevant anymore but it is still used in the catalogues of manufacturers and tire retailers.
Look for the speed ratings V,W,Y to find the modern equivalent to ZR tyres and not for the marking ZR.
What really matters is the speed rating (V,W or Y).

If I'm not mistaken, there should be some info on "WHY" we should pick one of the three types(V/W/Y). Here's a Link....

http://www.econrads.com/Tire-and-Service-Articles.aspx?ArticleID=23

Back