Intrepid

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Si HFP
There and Back Again
Dug the car out of it's winter parking spot and took it on a winter road trip
Had a family member pass away on the east coast so my wife and i decided to drive down for the services

4 provinces
3 Time Zones
7995 kms from Manitoba to Nova Scotia and back
mileage seemed to be in the 6.4 - 7.6 l/100 kms depending on the speed limit
And the car just turned over the 55,000 kms mark on the return trip

Engine consumed about 1 litre of oil during the trip
also burned about 14 tanks of fuel

Did the entire trip on the Si Alloy's with the all season tires that came on the car, they have only been on the car in the winter to store the car so they may have had 1000 kms on them before the trip, where the roads were dry they didn't perform bad but when there was snow or black ice on the road it was pretty treacherous

All in all thou it was a good trip, really enjoy driving the car, even after doing a couple of 21 hr stints in it it was still comfortable.

This is not a car that can be slept in. the bolstering on the seats makes it very uncomfortable to try to catch a nap in, tried to curl up across the back seats to no avail, even tried to fold the seat backs down in the back and put my legs in the trunk to no avail

The trip down took the better part of 3 days or 56 hrs of driving time, we hit 2 blizzards and one freezing rain storm that killed any chance of making good time, the trip back took just over 40 hrs of driving time we had fairly good roads for the majority of the trip and even managed to cover 1800 kms the first day with only one bad stretch of road in Northern New Brunswick, and a couple of accidents in Montreal that slowed us down

Not a very good pic but here is the car in Nova Scotia at Peggy's Cove
peggy's cove.jpg

Last edited:
Nice picture. Sorry to hear about your loss. Can't believe you drove that trip without winter tires. Don't most areas you drove through require winter tires as mandatory equipment? I thought most areas in Canada required winter tires? I know some areas in Canada do. @Pauly99to17 ?

Yes some of the area's that we drove through do require winter tires
I normally don't drive the car in the winter so have never put winter tires on it. I have a set of 18" HFP wheels and Michelin pilot super sports that i normally run in the summer months. I have a 2002 Ford F-150 that i drive in the winter but if i took it to the maritimes it would of only been a one way trip if it made it all the way there lol

the highways were awesome in quebec, followed a lady in a mazda 3 from montreal to riviere du loup at 135 the whole way.
Only real complaint i had about Quebec was the lack of english road signs on the trans canada highway especially the one that said" Possible Water Over Road " that my wife had to use google translate to figure out what it meant
I guess Canada is Bilingual but Quebec isn't

I guess Canada is Bilingual but Quebec isn't
Ha, Canada is definitely not bilingual. Signs in every province, except New Brunswick, are always only in English. Quebec is the only province where signs are in French.

Back