Broken lumbar support

hwasa

Long Beach, CA
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
I know there are many threads on 9th about this, but has Honda come through and said anything about a fix for this? I have a '14 coupe (si) and the lumbar support is basically completely broken. I've went to a dealer before and they did some temp fix thing saying that Honda knew about it but did not have a solution. Soon after my seat was back to its broken state. Any ideas?

If you're willing, keep fighting the dealer. If you have 3 documented "attempts to fix" without success, you could actually lemon law the car. At some point I'd think they'd actually swap your drivers seat out.

What are the symptoms?

My drivers seat makes a noise and feels like something is flopping over in the seat when I go sit in the car. Wonder if mine is broken......

On the 9thgencivic forum, there is also a thread about a popping sound in the seat. I have it too. A guy took pictures and it seems like the spring holding the plastic lumbar support rubs / gets caught. Most people say it goes away after a break in period. Mine still does it at 20k miles but a lot less and with less force.

I wasn't worries about it at all until I saw this thread (not that I'm too worried now), but a broken lumbar support doesn't sound too good. I see two options:

1. If still under the 3-year warranty, and if broke, simply demand the support to be replaced. If they deny, go through Honda Corporate.
2. Just order the lumbar support from the online part stores and replace it yourself. The cover of the seat just comes off with a zipper. All seat components are sold on official and unofficial Honda stores.

On the 9thgencivic forum, there is also a thread about a popping sound in the seat. I have it too. A guy took pictures and it seems like the spring holding the plastic lumbar support rubs / gets caught. Most people say it goes away after a break in period. Mine still does it at 20k miles but a lot less and with less force.

I wasn't worries about it at all until I saw this thread (not that I'm too worried now), but a broken lumbar support doesn't sound too good. I see two options:

1. If still under the 3-year warranty, and if broke, simply demand the support to be replaced. If they deny, go through Honda Corporate.
2. Just order the lumbar support from the online part stores and replace it yourself. The cover of the seat just comes off with a zipper. All seat components are sold on official and unofficial Honda stores.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure if its actually "broken," but the issue has been persistent (can't remember when it started but I'm at ~18,800 miles right now) and I get back pain even from short trips now. It might have an issue or maybe I'm just 19 going on 60. Seems unlikely as I can ride my kawasaki for a while and not feel any back pain, but who knows. My local dealer said Honda knows of the issue but doesn't have a solution so they just did a homemade fix last time I took it in which lasted all of half way home from the dealership. I'll take it in again on Monday I think. I'll try to keep this thread updated on what happens.

Hey everyone, sorry for the delayed update. Took it into Honda noting the popping in the seat and the creaking of the seat on the tracks. Like before, the popping is "normal" in these cars and Honda is aware; it hasn't been addressed. I originally thought the creaking could be a simple fix with some lubricant. However, it turns out that some bolts were actually becoming lose and no longer torqued to spec. The dealership made sure the threading was still good and torqued them down. It's like a brand new car now lol. So if anyone has a creaking that appears to be coming from the seat rails, definitely take it into Honda or torque them down yourselves as it makes a world of difference for obvious reasons.

well that's great to hear you got rid of the creaking

Thanks for the update. Which screws specifically? The ones on the rails bolted to the floorboard or the bottom of the seat? Or both?

Hey everyone, sorry for the delayed update. Took it into Honda noting the popping in the seat and the creaking of the seat on the tracks. Like before, the popping is "normal" in these cars and Honda is aware; it hasn't been addressed. I originally thought the creaking could be a simple fix with some lubricant. However, it turns out that some bolts were actually becoming lose and no longer torqued to spec. The dealership made sure the threading was still good and torqued them down. It's like a brand new car now lol. So if anyone has a creaking that appears to be coming from the seat rails, definitely take it into Honda or torque them down yourselves as it makes a world of difference for obvious reasons.

Thanks for the update. Which screws specifically? The ones on the rails bolted to the floorboard or the bottom of the seat? Or both?

Not sure. I would imagine the bottom of the seat but thats a guess. Whichever ones they are, dealer said it is a semi-common issue in 9ths.

Back