2017 Tail of the Dragon VI: September 28th - October 1st

-- As usual the @Nix recap nails it. Thanks man.

-- With Nomar's new found "stock car killer" abilities probably a good thing I didn't make it out!

-- So what's another stock car that can go toe to toe with the Fiesta ST?

-- How about next year we consider Virginia International Raceway?
Considered one of the Top 6 in the country. http://virnow.com/about/

The configuration below offers up two killer straights of 3/4 - 1 mile long each. Think about that.
Takes about 1/4 mile to get my Si through 4th gear and up to 105. Would love to see what it could do with another 1/2 mile plus.
And i'm not the only one with a need for speed, am I?

Full2016course.jpg

I took my 2006 Si out there a long time ago. Hit 113mph on the back straight. It's a fun track but a very technical one as well...from what I was told.

The ST doesn't like track days. Has issues with overheating on longer track sessions, in stock form.

ST on the Dragon....the car has Michelin pilot sport all seasons. The car is tons of fun and is really smooth. Doesn't like hitting bumps at speeds, in corners. Prob just a tire issue. Hopefully will have photographic evidence, lol

I took my 2006 Si out there a long time ago. Hit 113mph on the back straight. It's a fun track but a very technical one as well...from what I was told.

The ST doesn't like track days. Has issues with overheating on longer track sessions, in stock form.
ST on the Dragon....the car has Michelin pilot sport all seasons. The car is tons of fun and is really smooth. Doesn't like hitting bumps at speeds, in corners. Prob just a tire issue. Hopefully will have photographic evidence, lol
Question: You mean Pilot "Super Sports" or the "Pilot Sport A/3" (still a fine tire but only 85/90% as grippy) -- Either way sounds like you're a happy camper. Are some mods in the works to address the overheating issue?

Thoughts: Hard to believe you could only do 113 in the Si (top speed stock is said to be 136) especially entering the back straight in 3rd gear at 50-60mph. Think maybe the lack of DP/Exhaust and the limiter intact at 7,200 explains the lack of high end... or did your foot just slip off the accelerator? ;) Then again, maybe i'm just underestimating the need to brake for the next bend. Reigning it back in from triple digits can't be easy.

The F1 guys? They pull almost 6 g's slowing down from 250. What a braking system.

Anyway, glad you guys had some nice runs, and hopefully no LEO or mechanical issues. See ya'll next year.

Question: You mean Pilot "Super Sports" or the "Pilot Sport A/3" (still a fine tire but only 85/90% as grippy) -- Either way sounds like you're a happy camper. Are some mods in the works to address the overheating issue?

Thoughts: Hard to believe you could only do 113 in the Si (top speed stock is said to be 136) especially entering the back straight in 3rd gear at 50-60mph. Think maybe the lack of DP/Exhaust and the limiter intact at 7,200 explains the lack of high end... or did your foot just slip off the accelerator? ;) Then again, maybe i'm just underestimating the need to brake for the next bend. Reigning it back in from triple digits can't be easy.

The F1 guys? They pull almost 6 g's slowing down from 250. What a braking system.

Anyway, glad you guys had some nice runs, and hopefully no LEO or mechanical issues. See ya'll next year.

All depends on the speed you come out on te Oak tree turn....it's a lower speed "double" corner. Car was basically stock power wise. I think it was just an exhaust at that time.

The ST has Pilot Sport as 3. It could use a better tire, the inside tire would break loose a little bit on some of the tight turns when trying to power out of the corner. Also got the rear a bit too loose when hitting a bump mid turn. Hence Nix grinning ear to ear in the one pic I posted.

No plans to upgrade the car anytime soon other than rear motor mount and window tint. No need to worry about the overheating issue since I'm not planning hitting a track day anytime soon.

All depends on the speed you come out on te Oak tree turn....it's a lower speed "double" corner. Car was basically stock power wise. I think it was just an exhaust at that time.

The ST has Pilot Sport as 3. It could use a better tire, the inside tire would break loose a little bit on some of the tight turns when trying to power out of the corner. Also got the rear a bit too loose when hitting a bump mid turn. Hence Nix grinning ear to ear in the one pic I posted.

No plans to upgrade the car anytime soon other than rear motor mount and window tint. No need to worry about the overheating issue since I'm not planning hitting a track day anytime soon.

-- As usual the @Nix recap nails it. Thanks man.

-- With Nomar's new found "stock car killer" abilities probably a good thing I didn't make it out!

-- So what's another stock car that can go toe to toe with the Fiesta ST?

-- How about next year we consider Virginia International Raceway?
Considered one of the Top 6 in the country. http://virnow.com/about/

The configuration below offers up two killer straights of 3/4 - 1 mile long each. Think about that.
Takes about 1/4 mile to get my Si through 4th gear and up to 105. Would love to see what it could do with another 1/2 mile plus.
And i'm not the only one with a need for speed, am I?

Full2016course.jpg
@jrotax101
All of bobo's pics are down, but I recall jro talking about VIR
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/jrotax101-aka-capt-gingersnap-conquers-vir-sort-of.7909/

VIR is my favorite track in north america.

You'd have a hard time topping 120-125 in a stock SI down the back straight there with a top tier driver. A relative track-rookie would see much less.

& F1 cars do not hit 250, anywhere.

VIR is my favorite track in north america.

You'd have a hard time topping 120-125 in a stock SI down the back straight there with a top tier driver. A relative track-rookie would see much less.

& F1 cars do not hit 250, anywhere.
Appreciate that; wouldn't want to drive 6,000 miles for a dud. Do you have a #2 track?

Appreciate that; wouldn't want to drive 6,000 miles for a dud. Do you have a #2 track?
Road Atlanta is my second favorite, but I'm probably slightly biased as it's "home" right now. With that said, its one of the most highly rated in the USA.

the fastest F1 speed recorded was 372kph (232mph) in Mexico City. They run higher levels of downforce(street circuit levels) there than lots of other tracks, but due to the altitude and the thin air, they were exceeding Monza speeds.

Heck, Atlanta is 500 miles closer - i'll take it, if only to warm up.

Performance data for the 2017 Si suggests that 120+ (as you thought) is about all one can expect.
2017-honda-civic-si-coupe-test-review-car-and-driver2017-honda-civic-si-coupe-complete-specs-and-performance-data.pdf

I wish i could have made it out to the dragon this year, but friday night was my 2nd night at home in 3 weeks.. needed rest.

This is a short (poopy) video from VIR. My friend was the camera car.. he wanted to see where he was losing time (uphill esses). Speed is deceiving. I enter the uphill esses (flat all the way through, no lift) at 128mph. The speed at the end of the back straight was 138 for both of us. His car was a race car on rcomps. Mine was street setup on street tires.

View: https://youtu.be/Xr8mLqkONik

I wish i could have made it out to the dragon this year, but friday night was my 2nd night at home in 3 weeks.. needed rest.

This is a short (poopy) video from VIR. My friend was the camera car.. he wanted to see where he was losing time (uphill esses). Speed is deceiving. I enter the uphill esses (flat all the way through, no lift) at 128mph. The speed at the end of the back straight was 138 for both of us. His car was a race car on rcomps. Mine was street setup on street tires.

View: https://youtu.be/Xr8mLqkONik

It's okay about the Dragon, i didn't make it either... my first miss in 5 years. And from from i hear you've been spending more time in an airplane seat than in a queen sized bed. Who can blame you for sleeping in?

Still, hoping you can make it out next year.

Loved the Ben and Jerry vid -- what a great track that is (not to mention spectacular scenery) but it's clear your carefully crafted "street" setup was at least comparable to your friends' more race oriented ride. Shows that at a lower level there's not as much difference as we think.

In the "speed is deceiving" department, i gotta know... why were there so many parked cars out there?

btw, thanks for the tip on Atlanta. I'll be there.

Now you'll just have to tell me what car you'd buy for it. The way things are going we'll all be driving a .5 liter Briggs and Stratton turbocharged CVT.

Full Disclosure -- i'm very interested in the BMW's 2-series. Got an offer last week for a stock manual (nothing special) at just $36,000+ in my preferred color white.
It's a price point i can live with. The M is better but holy cow, price goes through the roof.

Back