Official Computer Talk Thread

I am wanting to build a good Gaming PC, this is my first build from scratch. I am looking to build a good one for playing game's like BF, GTA, and racing games. so something nice and fast that's not too terrible expensive not like I am trying to hack into fort Gordon or anything.
I was looking at a few website's at case's and such. what are some things to look for when buying a case? any recommendations or good website's to buy from?
No suggestions @bootyluvr ?

Nope. :giggle:

@mySIck -

Price?
1440p or 1080p gaming?
Do you have Fry's or MicroCenter close to you?
I am trying too do more of a budget build for my first time just to get it going I guess something to build on if that makes sense. also would 4k be an option or is that more for ballers lol. I don't have a Fry's or Microcenter around me that I know of. but I will be going to South Korea again next year so looking to load up in Seoul on computer parts.

I am trying too do more of a budget build for my first time just to get it going I guess something to build on if that makes sense. also would 4k be an option or is that more for ballers lol. I don't have a Fry's or Microcenter around me that I know of. but I will be going to South Korea again next year so looking to load up in Seoul on computer parts.

You would need a really expensive video card to handle 4k.. So that's not an option for you/budget build.

If you want to keep the budget down stick to 1080. Most of the mid range cards on the market will return acceptable frame rates at 1080 without breaking the bank.

If you want to keep the budget down stick to 1080. Most of the mid range cards on the market will return acceptable frame rates at 1080 without breaking the bank.

so like the GTX 1080 does that mean it is 1080P ?

1080 is just a product number, there was 1070 and 1060 before it

Flight is talking about 1080p (resolution) not GTX1080 video card. GTX1080 video card is roughly $500 range (given or take if it's on sale)

GTX 1070 would be my recommendation for a mid priced card ($300 range) that will do great 1080p gaming.

I found the one Webby posted about the
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 for 490, I might aim to get that one.

Getting a higher end card may not be a bad idea. It will last you longer and serves a much better purpose than an over the top expensive motherboard or top tier process or will.

Others here will have differing opinions but look into the and ryzen 5 series of cpus for your build. They have been getting decent reviews for the price point and are competing heavily with the intel i5 lineup which is likely what you would be looking at on a budget build anyway.

I'm having the hardest time finding where I can buy a GTX 1060m (card made for laptops) any ideas of where to check?

@mySIck - what kind of form factor are you looking at? Mid tower, HTPC, full tower?

It all depends on what you want to do. If you want to do coolant block or just fans, then if you want big or small. I built a PC over the summer using a Fractal Designs NODE 202 because I wanted a small PC. It's almost too small and the components needed get expensive. I ran up quite the bill on it. LOL.

There are an increasing number of computer parts for Micro ATX motherboards and Mini ITX but still most common board is ATX. Just usually leaves a lot of empty expansion room 9/10 people don't use. But it makes cooling easy.

Back