Windshield Wipers

Dahws

Hey everyone!

Odd situation... Tried to use my wipers today and noticed they weren't working. At all. Scenario of events:

I recently hardwired my radar detector by tapping into an already hardwired dash cam though I don't think that was the cause.

Took my car to the dealer for maintenance as I always do a day after I hardwired the detector.

I looked at the corresponding fuses and noticed 46 was missing for some reason. I'm not sure if it wasn't there in the first place or if something happened in between when it was and now isn't working. Anyways, popped in the fuse. Still nada. Checked the relays. Still nada. Maybe the motor?

Thought I'd see what all y'all opinions were. Do all of you guys have a fuse at 46? Would the dealer do something? Would me tapping in and hardwiring my detector into an already hardwired dash cam have anything to do with it? That's hardwired into an empty fuse slot that is only on when the cars on and off when cars off.

Let me know your thoughts. Dealership said they'll call me back tomorrow and let me know as well..

Thanks

I tried to dig up a pic of the interior fuse panel. From what I see, it’s a 30amp fuse. I believe this is #46 circled?

A65AC80A-BACF-45EE-AC4A-882AD7B3E285.jpeg

Yep!! That is exactly the fuse that was missing. Popped it in there and still isn't working. Haha. Kind of frustrating. I don't even hear the wiper motor whirring when I try to use it so I have a fear that may be what's wrong.

I'm baffled as to why that would go out in the first place... If that is what's wrong. Once I find out more I'll know I guess.

I know this may sound like a silly question but was it a new fuse you put in or did you check to make sure the fuse hasn't popped? Sometimes the easiest stuff to check is overlooked, something I learned from personal experience.

Try disconnecting the radar detector and see what happens? Possibly overloading something?

Just thinking out loud

Yep did all that. Took it to one mechanic but didn't really know what he was doing. Going to take it to another so we can see what it is. Really odd.

I'm starting to think that fuse 46 was probably empty from the beginning and there wasn't supposed to be one there in the first place??

Is your car under warranty still? If so i's suggest taking it to the dealer to have them check it.

If you really want to dig in you can pop off the black trim panel around the base of the wipers to see if the linkage is functional. while your in there you could also take two pieces of wire and try to jump the wiper motor directly from the battery to see if that makes it operate. If it does then its some kind of electrical wiring problem. If not the motor could have burnt out somehow.

Is your car under warranty still? If so i's suggest taking it to the dealer to have them check it.

If you really want to dig in you can pop off the black trim panel around the base of the wipers to see if the linkage is functional. while your in there you could also take two pieces of wire and try to jump the wiper motor directly from the battery to see if that makes it operate. If it does then its some kind of electrical wiring problem. If not the motor could have burnt out somehow.

I wish I was more mechanically proficient to try that myself. For stuff I've done myself tutorials have helped me. This problem is so 'rare' that I haven't even seen others with this issue. It's sooo weird. Just got the motor in from autozone since all of the fuses and relays seemed to be working just fine. Will pop in the motor with my friend and hopefully that fixes it. If that's not it then maybe it's something else. I'll update here when I try the motor.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Did the new motor end up fixing your problem?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

This is way way way over due, but, if anyone else ends up needing help. I installed a new motor and that wasn't the problem either, nor was I expecting it to be. Back to square 1. I ended up going through and checking all of the fuses again 1 by 1. I quadruple checked them under the drives side dash. All clean. Even though I had never touched, I ended up checking the fuse box under the hood. All of them worked just fine. I did notice a couple of slots that were empty though. I popped a 15a fuse into the slots and guess what... it f'ing worked.

I had never touched that fuse box ever before. The only place that I've taken it was the dealership 3 days prior to my road trip to get it serviced. Had a word with them and nothing happened as expected. I think the fuse that I put in ended up being titled drives side window or passenger windows... I don't even know why that fixed the windshield wiper problem. Oh well. :thumbsup:

Back