Official 'What did you do to your car today?' Thread

Decided for grins... to try to "restore" my OEM shift knob... as I replaced it with an aftermarket due to leather being worn and the face being worn and pitted. I wet sanded it.... and buffed it with mother's mag and aluminum polish. Turned out decent. Leather still sucks. Trying to figure out a way to restore it as well. 20181124_213010.jpg 20181124_213016.jpg 20181124_224403.jpg 20181124_224413.jpg

Not really something I did to my car, but I ended up getting my first project car! She’s a 1990 (03/90) with only 84k on the clock. It’s also an automatic which isn’t ideal but a manual swap is on the way! The civic has officially been demoted to strictly daily duty, I don’t plan on modding it any further, pretty much all of my money will be thrown at this thing, she’s gonna be a ****** rocket soon!

901923b2dddef795adde4486f158b000.jpg
c376b6a9a3483ba313d0fee84ebf46aa.jpg
691c87ae173c615ecd6a746f34dad652.jpg
d0ca059dc657b4a71bb36993a33d004c.jpg
47966828b83705dadd7edc8a3844efd6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just go with a ls1 right off the bat.

Not really something I did to my car, but I ended up getting my first project car! She’s a 1990 (03/90) with only 84k on the clock. It’s also an automatic which isn’t ideal but a manual swap is on the way! The civic has officially been demoted to strictly daily duty, I don’t plan on modding it any further, pretty much all of my money will be thrown at this thing, she’s gonna be a ****** rocket soon!

901923b2dddef795adde4486f158b000.jpg
c376b6a9a3483ba313d0fee84ebf46aa.jpg
691c87ae173c615ecd6a746f34dad652.jpg
d0ca059dc657b4a71bb36993a33d004c.jpg
47966828b83705dadd7edc8a3844efd6.jpg

Just go with a ls1 right off the bat.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] if I had the money and no morals, maybe [emoji23][emoji23]. I was thinking about an SR20DET swap, buddy of mine has one for cheap [emoji3166][emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decided for grins... to try to "restore" my OEM shift knob... as I replaced it with an aftermarket due to leather being worn and the face being worn and pitted. I wet sanded it.... and buffed it with mother's mag and aluminum polish. Turned out decent. Leather still sucks. Trying to figure out a way to restore it as well.

Maybe soak it in some moisturizing lotion? Chances are, since it is cracked, it'll never be uncracked; however, if the leather is not dried out, it should be a little bit more supple and fill in the gaps of the cracks while also looking a little better. Anyhow, just an idea. Overall, the metallic portion of the knob looks leaps and bounds better than it did before.

If you do go the LS route suggested, you should watch Tom's Turbo Garage on YouTube (also has a website for the car, v8miata.com with lots of details); he has a build series where he takes an NB and does an LS3 build; very nicely done and very detailed videos. Even if you don't, they videos are still entertaining to watch IMO. Also, even if you don't do the LS swap, I'd find an LSD for it (some of them came with an LSD, I just forget which ones did), it'll really help the handling (but, you knew that already and were planning to do it so this is just wasted text you're going to ignore - sorry, just excited for the new project as I wish I could get unburied from mine and start on something new but still have a long way to go).

Maybe soak it in some moisturizing lotion? Chances are, since it is cracked, it'll never be uncracked; however, if the leather is not dried out, it should be a little bit more supple and fill in the gaps of the cracks while also looking a little better. Anyhow, just an idea. Overall, the metallic portion of the knob looks leaps and bounds better than it did before.

If you do go the LS route suggested, you should watch Tom's Turbo Garage on YouTube (also has a website for the car, v8miata.com with lots of details); he has a build series where he takes an NB and does an LS3 build; very nicely done and very detailed videos. Even if you don't, they videos are still entertaining to watch IMO. Also, even if you don't do the LS swap, I'd find an LSD for it (some of them came with an LSD, I just forget which ones did), it'll really help the handling (but, you knew that already and were planning to do it so this is just wasted text you're going to ignore - sorry, just excited for the new project as I wish I could get unburied from mine and start on something new but still have a long way to go).

I feel like I already know your pain [emoji23]. Worked on the car today and noticed some killer rust spots. This pushed back my plans to swap the transmission by a month or however long it takes to fix it

Sr20’s are pretty cool engines. That’d be a nice little swap for that car.

Make shifted another cold air that fits a little more snug. It’s sits a little weird but serves its purpose. Did some street tuning and she’s running pretty mean. Think I’m gonna let a professional finish the tune though. 66F9C6D1-2B84-43D9-B7F2-93B0EF9C2AA9.jpeg

Picked my car up today from the body shop; had the TSB on the paint done. I didn't get any pictures since it was early morning, was covered in dew, and I had to get to work. But, at a glance, it looks tremendously better. Only cost me $336 to have some optional dents/dings repaired while they were doing the paint work; all in all, not a bad way to raise the value of the car by maybe $1000 (at a guess). I'll try and get some pics later, if we ever get a sunny day. Dealer said hand wash only and no waxing for at least 90 days; that makes me nervous as I'd like to protect the paint and 3mos in the winter seems like a long time to wait to put any sort of protectant on things.

Picked my car up today from the body shop; had the TSB on the paint done. I didn't get any pictures since it was early morning, was covered in dew, and I had to get to work. But, at a glance, it looks tremendously better. Only cost me $336 to have some optional dents/dings repaired while they were doing the paint work; all in all, not a bad way to raise the value of the car by maybe $1000 (at a guess). I'll try and get some pics later, if we ever get a sunny day. Dealer said hand wash only and no waxing for at least 90 days; that makes me nervous as I'd like to protect the paint and 3mos in the winter seems like a long time to wait to put any sort of protectant on things.
The paint is too soft, and it will continue to offgass for the next few months while it’s curing. You really do need to wait.

The paint is too soft, and it will continue to offgass for the next few months while it’s curing. You really do need to wait.

Thanks. I figured it had something to do with the paint curing; but, I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to body work. I just hope there are no rock chips or salt damage or anything like that while it is curing before I can get some wax on it to help it last longer than the 5 or 6yrs it lasted from the factory.

Good deal man. I Had mine done as well.... about 40 days ago. I called the body shop and they told me it would be good to wax after 30 days.... which I thought was a little early... but what the heck.

I applied a thin layer or meguires carnuba on it at like 32 days... and looks and feels amazing. still using the m34 final inspection for quick detailing.

Back