Negative Battery Terminal Bolt

Eric O

I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere or should have been posted somewhere else, but I'm hoping someone here can help out. I was replacing the battery in my 2014 EX today and I dropped the bolt for the negative terminal somewhere down inside the car and couldn't find it. I spent about an hour taking off the heat shield and as much of the underbody as I felt like doing and I couldn't find it anywhere. So then I called Autozone and they said it was a dealer specific part. I called Honda and they said they don't sell just the bolt and that I would have to buy the whole attachment that comes with the Battery sensor for $105 - all I need is the bolt. It's T-shaped with little wings that hold the wire onto the negative battery terminal.

Any chance any of you know where I can either buy that bolt or something else that'll work? I worked some MacGyver and the new battery is connected, and the connection is fairly tight, but not as secure as I'd like it to be. Plenty thanks to any help you can offer. Thank you kindly.

Last edited:
I don't see that bolt in the diagram. There were a total of three bolts connecting the two battery terminals - a straight square-head bolt from the positive terminal, a straight round-head bolt connecting a wiring harness to the negative sensor, and then the winged T bolt with a regular nut that actually secures the wire to the negative terminal. It was the only bolt in that shape or size so is it possible it's #3 from that parts list?

3 is the long post that goes to the bottom of the battery tray to the top of the battery. It screws down to #2 which crosses over the battery. It just holds the battery down into the car.

I see no wing nuts/bolts on any pictures of 9th gen r18 engine pics. Maybe the person who had your car previously put that on when they lost a standard bolt. No clue

Weird. I bought it new from the dealer and I'm the only owner so that bolt was stock. The terminal post is definitely open at one end so it has to require some kind of special bolt because the replacement battery sensor is identical to the one currently on my car.

It was just a standard nut that fit on a threaded bolt. The bolt shaft itself was identical to the other two bolts, but the head has a winged T-shape so it clamps the seam of the terminal connection tight as it gets compressed with the nut.

Back