Official Computer Talk Thread

Fair. That's what I figured. I refreshed the page like 4 times before I realized what was happening! :rotfl:

My lady said she would like a desktop computer for work when we renovate the office. She’s had a laptop but it’s old and she used my dual screen setup for a while and loved it.

I told her she can have my computer and I’ll build me a new one.

My lady said she would like a desktop computer for work when we renovate the office. She’s had a laptop but it’s old and she used my dual screen setup for a while and loved it.

I told her she can have my computer and I’ll build me a new one.

Maybe she doesn't want your hand-me-down warm temperature PC ;)

Maybe she doesn't want your hand-me-down warm temperature PC ;)

She doesn’t use it for gaming or calculating. It’s got a 3.8 GHz quad core (i5-7600k) in it with 16 GB ram and 1 TB M.2 storage. More than enough for uploading/downloading pictures to Google Drive and setting up her stages. It’s in the small Node 202 case with silent Noctua fans.

It doesn’t get hot like it was after I fixed the thermal paste issue on the CPU. I think I’ll harvest the 1080 out of it, put in something a little less for her, support the dual screens and it’d be out her 10 year old hand-me-down laptop.

I just don’t want her spending $1000 for an off-the-shelf desktop that is less than the one I can give her and would be in a bigger package.

@webby - Max temps (on right) after playing multiple rounds of Call of Duty... :confused:

View attachment 61272

@webby - this was after probably 45 minutes or so of gaming. Now I believe the temperatures were warmer initially (which is why it hit 70C max on a few cores) because once the COD update was done installing I launched the game and it had to "optimize shaders" which puts the CPU @ 100% for a while.

So basically 87C max before and 70C max now. I'll monitor it the next few days. I feel like COD is WAY more CPU intensive than my other games (Rocket League, DiRT Rally 2.0, Wreckfest, BF4, ect)

CPU Temps COD.JPG

@webby - this was after probably 45 minutes or so of gaming. Now I believe the temperatures were warmer initially (which is why it hit 70C max on a few cores) because once the COD update was done installing I launched the game and it had to "optimize shaders" which puts the CPU @ 100% for a while.

So basically 87C max before and 70C max now. I'll monitor it the next few days. I feel like COD is WAY more CPU intensive than my other games (Rocket League, DiRT Rally 2.0, Wreckfest, BF4, ect)

View attachment 61355

AC: Odyssey is crazy CPU intensive

After an hour of Rocket League (yes I understand Rocket League doesn't use as much CPU)

Core 1 - 55C
Core 2 - 61C
Core 3 - 60C
Core 4 - 61C
Package - 61C

CPU Temps Rocket League.JPG

My room still gets toasty but something was definitely up with my CPU.
how bad did your paste look when you removed the lid? Like it had 30 pounds applied and it was all cracked and ugly, or...

My room still gets toasty but something was definitely up with my CPU.

I definitely need a small portable AC unit. Closed the door last night to my office (since I didn't want to wake my wife up) and it got warm in there. CPU only got to 72C (compared to 87C).

how bad did your paste look when you removed the lid? Like it had 30 pounds applied and it was all cracked and ugly, or...

The paste was actually better than expected coverage wise - like they didn't skimp out on it but it still flaked off when removing it. Like it was dried up. :confused:

CPU.jpg

Back