2013 EX-L oem sway bar upgrade

rear sway bar won't do anything for the floaty feeling, maybe a front but I doubt it. Sway bars resist torsional suspension compression differences and this isn't happening when the wind is pushing your car around, plus civics are light cars *comparatively.

You'll have to improve aerodynamics and lowering springs should help with this, just don't go overly aggressive like over 3"s.

Where the rear sway bar helps is when you are cornering with the car and needs more rear slip angle or the rear comes out more. I have a '15 lx with 24 or 25mm rear sway bar (whatever was the biggest they sold at the time) and my car still darts around the freeway with crosswinds. The wind blows my car around and I have to steer into the wind, yes my alignment is good (0 Toe).

Ill definitely give em a buzz

Im happy with the balance from the factory and have no desire to take it to the track... at most some spirited driving now and then and would appreciate less body roll.
If its a direct swap and at most requires new links and bushings then I might just go for it.

rear sway bar won't do anything for the floaty feeling, maybe a front but I doubt it. Sway bars resist torsional suspension compression differences and this isn't happening when the wind is pushing your car around, plus civics are light cars *comparatively.

You'll have to improve aerodynamics and lowering springs should help with this, just don't go overly aggressive like over 3"s.

Where the rear sway bar helps is when you are cornering with the car and needs more rear slip angle or the rear comes out more. I have a '15 lx with 24 or 25mm rear sway bar (whatever was the biggest they sold at the time) and my car still darts around the freeway with crosswinds. The wind blows my car around and I have to steer into the wind, yes my alignment is good (0 Toe).

Thanks for the feedback

I can deal with the wind but I think less body roll would be a good thing as its always leaned a bit too much around corners. The swaybars coupled with new struts all around should hopefully get me where I want to be... and if thats not enough then I might consider lowering springs. I just hate that I keep hearing bad things about all the different manufacturers

hearing bad things about all the different manufacturers
usually it's just issues with the cheapest of the cheap brands putting out poor quality products. That can be said not just with aftermarket car parts, but it can also be said with a majority of anything in retail. The old saying you get what you pay for holds up. $300 coilovers should not be expected to perform like 1-2k dollar coilovers and so on.

I wouldn't go with full coilovers, just springs would be fine for me.

What the consensus with Eibach's Sportline springs? Their website says that theyre tested with the factory struts...

nothing wrong with eibach. Just note that you will be out of factory alignment spec with lowering springs. If you care about that, you'll need camber arms for the rear. Most have said basically any spring setup gets you about -2 degrees camber in the rear.

I already picked up the skunk2 rear camber arms... for whatever reason, my rear drivers side camber was a bit off from the passanger side so I picked them up in order to bring everything into spec

If you go with aftermarket lowering springs, don’t use the oem shocks and struts. Go with TruHart. They’re one of the few bolt on aftermarket shock/strut designed for lowered civics. Users here have reported good things with them.

Id like to go with a minimal drop.

At a second glance, the Eibach Pro springs are not available for non Si sedans and the Sportlines have too much a drop for me. Ive read good things about the Tein S-Tech.

Right now im leaning towards the Tein springs, Truhart shocks and Si RSB. I havent called College Hill about the FSB yet.

My main concern with choosing aftermarket springs/struts is the possibility of squeaks, clunks, etc. It will drive me absolutely bonkers.

H&r is also highly liked by users here. I’d say significantly over tein due to noise. A number of users have bought plastic tubing at places like lowes to run over their tein springs to keep the coils from hitting one another. You could have it with others, but I’ve seen it more with tein. Either way it’s a cheap “fix” if you hear the coils touch. Here is the model h&r

https://www.amazon.com/H-R-51890-2-Sport-Spring/dp/B00EE5MUSC

The H&R's are too much of a drop.

What a headache and I havent even purchased anything yet.

Eibach Pros arent available, Teins are noisy although the reviews ive found gave me a different impression, the H&R have good reviews but the drop is too much.... FML

Maybe ill just stick the oem setup and just throw the rsb in and call it a day :(

It’s your car, but 1/4” difference in drop is like nothing. Go for the tein. It may not make a peep. If you hear any spring noise you may have to spend $2 in plastic tube. It’s no biggie

you make a compelling argument...

Of course the H&R seem to be sold out all over lol

I plan on replacing the mounts, etc. and Ive read that the 8th gen strut mount/bearings are a direct fit and are better quality (metal vs plastic) which has resolved noise issues for others.

Do you know if this is true?

Sorry for all the questions... just want to make sure I make educated decisions and dont just slap parts in there only to be pissed off after the fact.

I appreciate everyones input.

I’m not aware of anything being plastic. Someone else would have to chime in there. I don’t own a 9th gen to verify, but I’ve never seen anyone say the 8th gen is better or that the 9th has plastic.

I’m not aware of anything being plastic. Someone else would have to chime in there. I don’t own a 9th gen to verify, but I’ve never seen anyone say the 8th gen is better or that the 9th has plastic.
Wait, you don't have a 9th anymore either? Didn't even know!

I've never actually owned a 9th gen. :oops:
No way?!?! You and Booty both?! Wild!! So maybe it's just cause I was like 8 years late to the party, but how did you guys end up here then??

No way?!?! You and Booty both?! Wild!! So maybe it's just cause I was like 8 years late to the party, but how did you guys end up here then??
I used to run the 8th gen forum, and then I created this one. I've owned civics, fit, crvs etc in the past. I just didn't get the 9th. @bootyluvr was a member on the 8th gen forums. A number of users he's met at dragon car meets etc from there ended up hanging out here when I opened 9th. I never stopped people from attending the meets if they didn't have the specific car the site was about. He came with his wrx, and others came with s2000s, mazdaspeeds, civics, bmws, fits, volkswagons, mustangs, you name it. We just had a bunch of people who were/are into cars meet up every fall at the tail of the dragon car meet.

I used to run the 8th gen forum, and then I created this one. I've owned civics, fit, crvs etc in the past. I just didn't get the 9th. @bootyluvr was a member on the 8th gen forums. A number of users he's met at dragon car meets etc from there ended up hanging out here when I opened 9th. I never stopped people from attending the meets if they didn't have the specific car the site was about. He came with his wrx, and others came with s2000s, mazdaspeeds, civics, bmws, fits, volkswagons, mustangs, you name it. We just had a bunch of people who were/are into cars meet up every fall at the tail of the dragon car meet.

Wow! That's really cool. I had no idea of the history and had kinda wondered as I've seen quite a few people that didn't look like they'd ever had a 9th. Makes sense now. What a community. Jeez.

Back