Help me figure out this random loss of electrical power?

Moneyless

Hi folks,

I have a basic 2015 Civic LX that has been doing this randomly about once every couple of months for about a year. No mods. Factory everything. I do not use it very often and keep it plugged in to a Battery Tender Jr at all times, except when going to start the vehicle.

When turning the key, all of a sudden, all the electrical power goes out. Prior to starting, the electricity would be on as usual (overhead cabin lights, dashboard lights, etc). But as soon as key is turned, BOOM. Power goes out. I haven't been paying enough attention to if the key is in ACC or if I've actually turned to the point where the ignition goes. Regardless, trying to turn the ignition, does nothing. It's like the battery is completely disconnected.

After what feels like 2-3 minutes, the electricity comes back on again. I can tell because the cabin lights come back on and the dashboard comes on. The clock and radio need to be reset. I have to repush the ECO button to activate it. But otherwise the car starts up just fine.

It's quite bizarre to me and quite puzzling. It's infrequent enough to where I'm sure if I brought it to a dealer/mechanic, it probably won't happen. Ambient temperature doesn't seem to matter as it's happened before during winter and summer. I've checked all the fuses and they seem to be all intact. Battery is maintained with a Battery Tender Jr when not in use.

Any thoughts on what I should check?

Thanks you!

Have you checked the battery post bolts? I don’t know what else you could even check without it being taken somewhere.

Battery posts look okay. I’ve put felt washers on them with a battery terminal spray (the kit that you can get at Walmart) when I got it new in 2014. Everything seems to be tight as I tried jiggling it and no movement.

What about the ignition switch? Could be failing causing no power to be delivered once the key is turned? It connects to the back of the key tumbler under the steering wheel.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Ignition switch, but would that explain loss of all electrical power? Like, even the overhead lamps are out. And it seems to come back on after just waiting a few minutes.

Sorry for my naïveté, how would I go about checking grounds? I have a harbor freight multimeter.

late to the party but check the ECU/PCM relays in the MICU maybe? seen similar total power failures on Accords

Back