Sunroof Stuck - clicking when trying to close

2015Civic.Si

Searched everything on this site and cannot find anything related to the sunroof. I am having this issue where the sunroof tilt up will get stuck and won’t shut. When I press forward or backward the motor make a click noise as if it received the close request but nothing happens. Wondering if anyone’s familiar and if I can fix this myself or does it need a dealership visit?

Sunroof issues are not unheard of. I know the 10th gen had a lot of people with this issue. They said they had their track/motor replaced from Honda. I guess the gears can spin and not engage causing a clicking. You can try a reset procedure to see if it’ll help, but you may need a replacement. It involves dropping all of the interior headliner trim, the plastic pillar trim, lights up by the windshield etc to drop the liner to work on it.

try this and see if there is any change:

===========

Resetting the Moonroof Control Unit
Procedure
1. Moonroof Control Unit - Reset

Resetting the moonroof is required when any of the following have occurred:

The moonroof was moved manually while the battery was dead or disconnected.

The moonroof motor was replaced with a new one.

Any of components related to the moonroof were replaced.

- Wind deflector

- Moonroof glass

- Moonroof glass bracket

- Moonroof cables, etc.

To reset the moonroof control unit, do these steps:

1. Close the driver’s door, and keep it closed until the procedure is complete.

2. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).

3. Press and hold the tilt switch, and turn the ignition switch to ON (II).

4. Release the tilt switch, and turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 four more times.

6. Press and hold the moonroof open switch for at least 3 additional seconds after the moonroof is fully opened.

7. Press and hold the moonroof close switch for at least 3 additional seconds after the moonroof is fully closed (tilted).

8. Confirm that the moonroof control unit is reset by using the moonroof AUTO OPEN and AUTO CLOSE function.

Sunroof issues are not unheard of. I know the 10th gen had a lot of people with this issue. They said they had their track/motor replaced from Honda. I guess the gears can spin and not engage causing a clicking. You can try a reset procedure to see if it’ll help, but you may need a replacement. It involves dropping all of the interior headliner trim, the plastic pillar trim, lights up by the windshield etc to drop the liner to work on it.

try this and see if there is any change:

===========

Resetting the Moonroof Control Unit
Procedure
1. Moonroof Control Unit - Reset

Resetting the moonroof is required when any of the following have occurred:

The moonroof was moved manually while the battery was dead or disconnected.

The moonroof motor was replaced with a new one.

Any of components related to the moonroof were replaced.

- Wind deflector

- Moonroof glass

- Moonroof glass bracket

- Moonroof cables, etc.

To reset the moonroof control unit, do these steps:

1. Close the driver’s door, and keep it closed until the procedure is complete.

2. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).

3. Press and hold the tilt switch, and turn the ignition switch to ON (II).

4. Release the tilt switch, and turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 four more times.

6. Press and hold the moonroof open switch for at least 3 additional seconds after the moonroof is fully opened.

7. Press and hold the moonroof close switch for at least 3 additional seconds after the moonroof is fully closed (tilted).

8. Confirm that the moonroof control unit is reset by using the moonroof AUTO OPEN and AUTO CLOSE function.
Thank you. On these cars they don’t have an key ignition though. Will this reset still work with push to start?

If you have push button start-

1. Close the driver’s door, and leave it closed until the procedure is complete.
2. Turn ignition to LOCK (0), or press the engine start/stop button to select the OFF mode.
3. Press and hold the tilt switch, and turn ignition to ON (II), or press the engine start/stop button to select the ON mode.
4. Release the tilt switch, and turn ignition to LOCK (0), or press the engine start/stop button to select the OFF mode.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 four times. Note: Each step must be performed within 5 seconds of each other.
6. Press and hold the moonroof open switch for 3 additional seconds after the moonroof is fully opened.
7. Press and hold the moonroof close switch for 3 additional seconds after the moonroof is fully closed (tilted).
8. Check if the AUTO OPEN and AUTO CLOSE function still work. If they still work, the AUTO functions have not been cleared, go back to step 1. If AUTO functions have been cleared, go to step 7.
9. Press and hold the moonroof close switch until the moonroof is titled fully opened.
10. Confirm that the moonroof control unit is reset by using the moonroof AUTO OPEN and AUTO CLOSE feature.

If you have push button start-

1. Close the driver’s door, and leave it closed until the procedure is complete.
2. Turn ignition to LOCK (0), or press the engine start/stop button to select the OFF mode.
3. Press and hold the tilt switch, and turn ignition to ON (II), or press the engine start/stop button to select the ON mode.
4. Release the tilt switch, and turn ignition to LOCK (0), or press the engine start/stop button to select the OFF mode.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 four times. Note: Each step must be performed within 5 seconds of each other.
6. Press and hold the moonroof open switch for 3 additional seconds after the moonroof is fully opened.
7. Press and hold the moonroof close switch for 3 additional seconds after the moonroof is fully closed (tilted).
8. Check if the AUTO OPEN and AUTO CLOSE function still work. If they still work, the AUTO functions have not been cleared, go back to step 1. If AUTO functions have been cleared, go to step 7.
9. Press and hold the moonroof close switch until the moonroof is titled fully opened.
10. Confirm that the moonroof control unit is reset by using the moonroof AUTO OPEN and AUTO CLOSE feature.
Man
Thank you so much. I'm from Chile. My dad have a CRV 2019 Touring and the moon/sunroof stuck in a rainy day the day before to take the CRV to the 40.000KM service. The Honda Dealer here in Chile wanted to charge us 500USD for the hole new motor and the manpower for the job...
Now, with a calm and time i do this and its work!!!
Me and my dad appreciated so much!!
Saludos

Man
Thank you so much. I'm from Chile. My dad have a CRV 2019 Touring and the moon/sunroof stuck in a rainy day the day before to take the CRV to the 40.000KM service. The Honda Dealer here in Chile wanted to charge us 500USD for the hole new motor and the manpower for the job...
Now, with a calm and time i do this and its work!!!
Me and my dad appreciated so much!!
Saludos
Glad it helped out :thumb:

Back