Oil Filter Comparisons By Brand

I'm confused why would someone use anything other than a Honda filter? They were designed for the engine (when bypass opens, micron size etc) and how much can you save buying a cheaper one? $2-3 every 3-5,000 miles :confused:

For me I don't like going to the dealer near me, had a few issues with them, but they try to sell you the oil change when your buying the filter, which just annoys me...

I would buy them from College Hills Honda, but have no place to store them...

But I don't skimp on the aftermarket, Mobil 1 oil and filter since I stopped going to the dealer near my former job which I trusted...

I'm confused why would someone use anything other than a Honda filter? They were designed for the engine (when bypass opens, micron size etc) and how much can you save buying a cheaper one? $2-3 every 3-5,000 miles :confused:
Why do you assume aftermarket is cheaper?

It's one thing to like Honda, as I do, but don't blindly assume something is superior simply because it has an H on it

A fram filter runs around 3 dollars. Numerous other brands are very similar. That same filter by mobil or k&n will run you around $11. The honda filter for the 9th runs "Retail Price: $7.37" per honda's msrp.

Why do you assume aftermarket is cheaper?

It's one thing to like Honda, as I do, but don't blindly assume something is superior simply because it has an H on it

I didn't assume, most parts store filters are slightly cheaper. And until I -know- the people designing these aftermarket oil filters have worked with the people who designed the engine to know what type of filter is needed, I'm not going to risk a multi thousand $ engine guessing they sell a better product or try to save $4 every 5,000 miles.

Instead of my needing to prove the honda filter is better, someone else needs to prove the honda filter isn't doing it's job and there is something to be gained by changing to aftermarket. And I'm not talking about using their marketing hype as proof.

What would happen if the engine fails from an oil related issue, and they point to an aftermarket filter mounted on your engine?

An oil change in my corvette is over $130 at the dealer.

Eleven quarts of Mobil 1, filter, and labor. The OEM filter is $9 from the dealer. If I buy the oil at Walmart, it would be $65. Most service stations will charge at least $30 to do the work. I would have to hope they have the correct "pucks", and properly lift the vette without damaging it.

So I can save maybe $25-$30, and hope everything is done properly, or I can just get it done by the dealer, and have on record they did the work in case there's a problem later. IMO, I don't think the savings are worth the risks.

didn't realize it was 11qts for you... man

very interesting vid... didn't realize the gs model had that.

Even though I listed some good aftermarket oil filters (for the ppl that want to use them)(in the transmission thread:pat: ) I do use the factory filter for the reason you mentioned.

And on the same thought, I just got back from my 1st 5,000 mile service, and listed on the service sheet, it said, "Mobil 1 bulk oil 0w30" (Honda dealer).

Back