DIY 2012 CIvic Blacked out tail and front lights - Nite-Shades

Ron Flood

Haida Gwaii
Vehicle Model
EX
Body Style
Sedan
finally got around to using the can of nite-shades out.... heres my experience...

tail1.sized.jpg

wash it well to remove grit etc....

tail2.sized.jpg

dry well with preferably a lint free towel for car detailing...

tail3.sized.jpg

tape it off.

tail4.sized.jpg

sprayed 2 coats.... a word of caution spray very lightly, even if looks unever, dont worry, the second coat will hide that... and as the directions say, back and forth 6-10 inches away.... swaying back and forth.

tail5.sized.jpg

the front.... will be blacking out the chrome grill too ... took about 4 hours all said and done. i think looking back i would have just took everything out and reinstall....

sorry everyone, will post finished pic tomorrow.. will let sit in the garage overnight with heat.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
and presto.... befor i go to bed.. maybe tomorrow will be sunny and we'll wash her... :)

tail6.sized.jpg

tail7.sized.jpg

honestly everyone who does this swears by it.. now i know... so do I, makes a huge difference... less than $20 spent, 4 hours inside on a saturday, and still have half a can of tint left over ... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I have mine done with a vinyl tint. Looks great with the night shades!

I have mine done with a vinyl tint. Looks great with the night shades!

thanks, i actually gave it some thought with the vinyls, but looked too hard to make fit, i remember trying to get a flat vinyl over my xbox360 controller... didnt go so well, and my rear tail lights are way more curved than the top of an xbox 360 controller.. or does a vinyl come pre-shaped?

Looks good bro! Nice job....I never liked all of that chrome on the front grill. Now we need to get the jdm badges. Was hopin' santa would put them in my stocking for Christmas.

thanks, i actually gave it some thought with the vinyls, but looked too hard to make fit, i remember trying to get a flat vinyl over my xbox360 controller... didnt go so well, and my rear tail lights are way more curved than the top of an xbox 360 controller.. or does a vinyl come pre-shaped?
The vinyl was not easy at all. I didn't do it but I watched a professional tinter do it. He ripped the vinyl twice trying to go around that corner. I used the night shades on a previous car and it came out way to dark, so I decided to pay some one to do this. And on a positive side, the vinyl can come off easier.

The vinyl was not easy at all. I didn't do it but I watched a professional tinter do it. He ripped the vinyl twice trying to go around that corner. I used the night shades on a previous car and it came out way to dark, so I decided to pay some one to do this. And on a positive side, the vinyl can come off easier.

actually our eyes play tricks on us..... we have the tendancy to overspray the first time.. dont worry about the a super uniform darkness on the first coat, second coat u can get that... honestly i seemed lighter after it dried, so your eye doesnt catch the dis-unity of the color... but you're right, alot easier to take off.. :)

IMG00095-20121216-1238.jpg IMG00093-20121216-1237b.jpg

gotta pull my rear emblems off, maybe spray the H and reinstall.... should have my rear modulo skirt in the next week, so will be installing the sideskirts and rear lip next weekend im hoping.. and should have my Tsudo cat back exhaust too very soon.... things are looking up.. and should paint the factory rims black too..... hmmmmm.... oh also in 1 week I'll polish the lenses, look wicked sick with em polished! :D

funny thing is webby ... i didnt get a front shot.. especially since it looks sooo different... had to go for a drive to the dock.... which is like 10 houses down the street.... lol

IMG00101-20121216-1433.jpgIMG00106-20121216-1439.jpg

im sooooo glad i blacked out the upper grill chrome piece.... i kno after i buff and polish it, its gonna look awesome.... its still got a slight hint of chrome too, altho my fone does pic it up, its there.... and I'm sooooo glad i never bought a modulo grill too... :D and since the headlight lenses are slightly tinted, looking at it the front actually looks totally stock to me, except if you compared to what it used to look like....

IMG00008-20121118-1323.jpg

honestly i was really hesitant to do it, but the new 2013s kinda made me jealous and since i have the little man syndrome, i finally did something about it.... lol sad truth about me bro..... lol

thnx Arm0ged0n and izzy, got my rear skirt in lastnight, sideskirts are prepped.... hmmm im thinking saturday is my day! hahaha debating tinting too, but i really dont like night visibilty with window tint.... bought the tint when i first bought the car, but havent installed... but i think the car totally blacked out would look killer! all those 2013's can keep their fugly chrome... lol

have you had paint quotes to do the body kit pieces?

no we dont even have a paint shop on the small island of 5000 people on the island i live on webby .... hehehehe well my cousin had 4 fender flares painted and installed on his dodge for $300.. so im guessing its most likely around $600 .. or just buy the paint and do it myself.... i have air and air stuff(paint sprayer) hang everything up in my garage and do my thing.. its kinda of a no brainer... plus id save money.... so i can buy stuff... lol :dance1:

Back