squiggy

Cartographer
VIP Member
Michiana
Vehicle Model
Toyota MR2 Spyder
Body Style
Convertible
For those who are unsure of safe places to jack your car up and places to put jack stands, I decided to take some pics and put it in DIY for reference.

JACK POINTS

On each side of your car below the doors and near each wheel well is a piece of steel that sticks down just a bit further than the rest of the side skirt.

j1.sized.jpeg

j2.sized.jpeg

j3.jpeg

j4.sized.jpeg

These are the ONLY places you should be putting a jack or jack stand on the side skirts!

The following is what will happen if you do not heed the warnings:

j5.sized.jpeg

In the front, underneath the bumper, there is a place for a jack on the frame also. There is actually an arrow pointing to where to place the jack. Oddly, the arrow looks as if it points to a smooth place just off center. The spot I have used on my civics actually has a bit of a lip coming down and I use it as a catch for the plate on the jack. This is just to the right of where the arrow is pointing in the picture (perspective may vary when/if you are under the car) . As you may notice, it has been bent in a little bit. Not a big deal.

j6.jpeg

There is no known place to use the jack on the rear end of the car.
The tow hook is NOT advisable due to stability issues!!!

JACK STAND PLACEMENT

If you are using the jack point under the front bumper, you can use the jack point towards the front wheel well for jack stand placement.

If you jack the car up from one of the rear points, you may be wondering where to put the jack stands because there is no jack point under the rear bumper. My only solution was to put the jack stands under the control arms. Unfortunately, this means jacking up the rear one side at a time.

j7.sized.jpeg

j8.sized.jpeg

j9.sized.jpeg

Conversely, you could jack the car up from the control arm and then put the jack stands under the rear jack points depending on what you need access to. I will sometimes put my stands under the front control arms depending on the situation.

If anybody else has any input, please feel free to contribute.

Last edited:
nicely done - images backed up on the server :thumb:

You have no idea how helpful that was! Thanks a million.

I had the same questions initially. Took a bit to find the right answers. Figured others would want to know too so I went ahead and put this together.

When I was at the Continental Tire race last weekend, there were several teams running Civics. One team had added a brace under the rear recovery hook that went straight down to a few inches above the ground. They used that to lift the rear of the car.

As an added point, ALWAYS use jackstands or ramps when using a jack. The only thing keeping your car up in the air when using a jack is a little rubber o-ring. These can and do fail all the time while the jack is in use. Don't want to read about somebody not here because they had a car fall on them. Almost lost my dad this way. Good thing it was a pickup as when it hit the ground, the frame just lightly touched his chest. Ever since a proponent of jackstands and wheel chocks.

I assume the jack that comes with the car is enough to handle this and get it high enough (for an oil change), right? I'll be using jack stands, but wasn't sure if the factory jack was just to get the wheels off the ground for a tire change or what.

I assume the jack that comes with the car is enough to handle this and get it high enough (for an oil change), right? I'll be using jack stands, but wasn't sure if the factory jack was just to get the wheels off the ground for a tire change or what.

I have never used the one that comes with the car. However, it is designed to be use at the jack points by the tires. You would have to put the jack stands under the control arms in that case.

It's a little hard to tell in the pictures - are you jacking the car up directly on that metal lip on the sideskirt, or directly behind it? That metal lip seems thin and makes me nervous (not only with its strength but also stability on such a narrow surface).

j2.sized.jpeg

It's a little hard to tell in the pictures - are you jacking the car up directly on that metal lip on the sideskirt, or directly behind it? That metal lip seems thin and makes me nervous (not only with its strength but also stability on such a narrow surface).

j2.sized.jpeg

That metal lip is what you should be using. It is forged steel and will hold just fine. These are the spots that 4-point auto shop lifts use.

so if say im looking to do a tire rotation i would have to jack up my car 4 times correct? and for the front i need to put the stands at the arrow indicated jack point?

so if say im looking to do a tire rotation i would have to jack up my car 4 times correct? and for the front i need to put the stands at the arrow indicated jack point?

Easiest way is with four jack stands. Otherwise, due to rotation pattern, you would need to jack the car up five times while using the spare tire as a place holder.

Only ever put the stands at the posts on the sideskirts or securely under the control arms. You want the car on a wide base with the stands. Otherwise, you risk the car being unstable.

Easiest way is with four jack stands. Otherwise, due to rotation pattern, you would need to jack the car up five times while using the spare tire as a place holder.

Only ever put the stands at the posts on the sideskirts or securely under the control arms. You want the car on a wide base with the stands. Otherwise, you risk the car being unstable.
ok and yeah i have 4 stands but how do i get it up and place the stand?

ok and yeah i have 4 stands but how do i get it up and place the stand?
Start with the rear and place the jack under a control arm doing a side at a time. Place both jack stands at the rear side skirts first. Then put the jack under the front bumper and place the fronts stands at the posts on the side skirts.

Back