2012 Si intake

vmcguy

Glencairn, Ontario, Canada
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Sedan Si
Anyone know if someone has tried an 8th gen Si intake on their 9th gen? I was thinking that's the first mod I do and can't seem to find any intakes yet. I might have to make one if the 8th gen doesn't work.

aem and injen are both working on test cars. Nothing is full production for purchase as of yet.. hopefully before too long, you'll see them

If you want to experiment a little bit.... Pull the intake resonator and put in a high flow filter. It's similar to a CAI but with the higher filter location and stock airbox you have less chance of hydrolock. It will perform better than a short ram. Here's a pic from majestic honda.

14ts8c01_b0106.png

You would remove the part after the elbow in the box labeled 10.
I did it to my 8th and it made a huge difference. Also I found the "new" intake location to be very well shielded. I dropped the bumper to get mine out but I think you can also do it by removing the wheel and fender liner. Looks like bolt #21 in box 7 is the only thing holding it down. Tight fit im sure. If you want to experiment jump over the border to Rochester and Id love to take a look with you. Let me know.

Send a message to "portabuddy" on here. Guy's very knowlegeable and from Ontario. He might be of some help too.

Yea, I was just sayin till one becomes available. My butt dyno noticed the difference.

It wasn't any louder just cruising around. It was most noticeable when I was going up an incline and would normally need a downshift. You could hear this growl come from under the hood. Also you definitely hear the engine suck in more air when you get on the gas. I was surprised by how low of a tone it was. It's not loud but even at highway speed if you hit it hard to pass you hear it. I didn't get any strange harmonics except right at 78mph you could hear this strange whistle from it. Just the perfect resonance of airflow across the end of the pipe I guess.

I haven't looked but I don't know if a K&N filter is available for the 12' yet or even an AFE dryflow non-oiled.

I just bought an ebay SRI with K&N filter for an 06 to 11 si, I'll see if it fits and if not I'll make it work. I'll take some vids of the install and post them up with pics. It should be coming in some time between Dec 28 to Jan 3 according to ebay. Hopefully its faster than that, this lack of vtec scream is driving me nuts.

That is a weird intake....what is the hose for(far right) and the thing in the box at the top?

That's the resonator, it is up stream from the air box and acts like a muffler for the intake and grabs cold air. It has some different chambers to flatten out the power curve.

If you want to experiment a little bit.... Pull the intake resonator and put in a high flow filter. It's similar to a CAI but with the higher filter location and stock airbox you have less chance of hydrolock. It will perform better than a short ram. Here's a pic from majestic honda.

14ts8c01_b0106.png

You would remove the part after the elbow in the box labeled 10.
I did it to my 8th and it made a huge difference. Also I found the "new" intake location to be very well shielded. I dropped the bumper to get mine out but I think you can also do it by removing the wheel and fender liner. Looks like bolt #21 in box 7 is the only thing holding it down. Tight fit im sure. If you want to experiment jump over the border to Rochester and Id love to take a look with you. Let me know.
to be clear here, you removed everything after #9 ? so that elbow is where it's grabbing in air from ?

if so you NEED to route some tubing (on my 8th I reused a stock tube from the resonator) and route it to the wheel wheel.

Your IAT's are terribly high if it is sucking in air from right behind the radiator (which is where that elbow is), I'm talking about on an 80 degree day doing 65mph on a freeway in 6th gear your IAT's are going to be around 150-160 and I have this FlashPro datalog confirmed.

Once routing some tubing to the wheel well the IAT's will be around 10-20 degree above ambient temp which is pretty much as good as it gets.

That is a weird intake....what is the hose for(far right) and the thing in the box at the top?

The pipe on the far right is the "sound" pipe. It is there so you can hear the engine from inside the car. Its plummed up inside the fender.

I just looked at it on our test car today. We're dismantling the whole car.

lol really^ ?

sound pipe ?

that Sir is so you do not hydrolock the engine, it draws air from high and dry fender liner.

What sense does it make to have the "sound pipe" go into a RESONATOR that supresses sound ?

what kind of tests are you doing on this car ? I hope you aren't churning out products when you can't understand how a simple stock air box functions.

The elbow on the 8th if looking at the front of the car is off to the right of the radiator and is nearly in the wheel well but behind the fender liner. I did run some of the removed tubing to extend it further. I don't know how close the elbow on the new 9th is going to be to the fender. There are also some open holes in that area on the 8th to pull air from that hasn't gone through the rad. yet.

lol really^ ?

sound pipe ?

that Sir is so you do not hydrolock the engine, it draws air from high and dry fender liner.

What sense does it make to have the "sound pipe" go into a RESONATOR that supresses sound ?

what kind of tests are you doing on this car ? I hope you aren't churning out products when you can't understand how a simple stock air box functions.

If I'm such a moron for suggesting that its a "sound" pipe and its a snorkel then why would they run it from all the way down where the water would be coming from? Why wouldn't they plumb the snorke from higher up where it is dry instead of running it off the resonator which would be submerged in water. It is also a little small to be a snorkel.

Doesn't make sense to me that it would be a snorkel.

I work in the body/weld shop, I'm a robotics/welding technician not a mechanic. No need to be ignorant. I'm not telling you what we are using the car for.

One option is to modify the stock intake. Granted I'm doing this on my 8th gen, I'm assuming the inside of the 9th gen's box is similar. I have the T1R intake (which is just the carbon top half, intake hose, and a scoop) and I'm smoothing the bottom half of the OEM intake. I'm basically following what another 8thcivic member did

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/intake-spacer-discussion/210768-my-t1r-intake-overhaul-lots-pics.html
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/inta...67-intake-overhaul-pt-2-lower-intake-box.html

very nice... post up some pics when you get it finished

That's pretty sweet. What if you get rid of the stock filter in the air box and just attach a 3" cone filter on the bottom? I might just do this, or do a "X-intake" setup, to my car because I am scared of hydro locking.

Also, when I was installing a CAI on my car, I did notice the "snorkel" tube. The air located on the driver side fender is fed to the tube and it is at a pretty high location so that the engine will not hydro lock.

#11 on the parts diagram is located behind the headlight and that's where the resonator sucks its air from. You'd have to go through a pretty deep puddle to suck air into the resonator. That "snorkel" wouldn't save it because the resonator would be filled and the engine would suck it up into the air box like a straw.

My 11 civic si short ram is coming along. I had to cut off the MAF sensor mount because to fit the tube I had to turn it around and my MAF was facing the wrong way. Ground out the welds and re-welded it the other way. There were also two ports on the tube when I only need one so I had to cut off the pipe and fill the hole.

Should be able to try it out before the weekend.

Back