2012 Tire Wear

0260N5Si

North America
Vehicle Model
SI
Body Style
2DR
Front and rear. But. Especially rear. I still cannot keep tires on this car. It takes no time and the rears are cupping and wearing off on the inside. Creating rediculous noise and tire expenses. Suspension is all fine and the alignment is within spec I'm told. Twice. Are there any fixes? I've seen the previous Gen cars have tsb and I've read the following...

Rear tire cupping on 06 thru 08 civics is because of rear suspension geometry. TSB 1-008 reduced the rear camber from -1.5 to -0.75 degrees. That will still not fix the problem. I went for 3rd party adjustable camber arms and set the camber at 0.0 degrees and the toe at 0.0 degrees at no load. Have travelled lots of miles since and it seems to do the job well.
civic2001's Avatarcivic2001 , 10-25-2013 05:54 PM
Just a confirmation of setting the rear camber at 0.0 and the rear toe at 0.0 (no load) solved my 2007 EX cupping problem. That was in April of 2009. The adjustable rear camber arms were from SPC Performance PN 67470.

Any parts out for the 12+ cars?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ive had all kinds of different tires from cheap to big brand name. Makes no difference. I rotate every 7 or 8 thousand km as well.

some camber is good srt-4 is set around -.75, I don't know what the 2013 si is set at. But of course if you just drive on the highway the tires will wear faster with neg camber

some camber is good srt-4 is set around -.75, I don't know what the 2013 si is set at. But of course if you just drive on the highway the tires will wear faster with neg camber
I get 1 season out of a set of tires whether it's summer or winter before the insides are worn too bad to listen to. Then the rest of the tire is almost new looking. Maybe 1/3 worn. I've gone to Honda complaining. They are useless.

does the 9th gen have neg camber in the rear stock!

neg camber works better on curvy roads.
I'm mostly highway. What should it be set at for improved wear? Both times I've had it lined up were put to factory specs... Which isn't working at all...

0 degrees to -1.5 degrees is the spec for the rear camber.
.5 to -.5 degrees is the spec for the front camber.

I'd like to see your sheet to see what your settings are. Who's doing your alignment? Honda?

I get 1 season out of a set of tires whether it's summer or winter before the insides are worn too bad to listen to
How many miles is "a season"? 10k miles, 50k miles...? What model tire are you currently on?

PAP1EB3.jpg

I'd like to see your sheet to see what your settings are. Who's doing your alignment? Honda?

How many miles is "a season"? 10k miles, 50k miles...? What model tire are you currently on?

PAP1EB3.jpg
I am currently on cheap tires. Idk even what the brand is. My last set were Michelin. I have to get new ones in April. I get about 30,000km per set of tires regardless of the brand. Currently have 225,000km on the car.

PAP1EB3.jpg
Honda did my first one. Went to GCR the second time to see if it made a difference. If I come across the sheet in the next few days I'll post the specs.

30,000km is like 18k miles. You've got something seriously wrong with your camber if your tires are bad that fast. Is your tire wear like this? The inside edge is bald and you still have some tread on the outside?

zJMkFi0.jpg

30,000km is like 18k miles. You've got something seriously wrong with your camber if your tires are bad that fast. Is your tire wear like this? The inside edge is bald and you still have some tread on the outside?

zJMkFi0.jpg
Yes pretty much like that. Sometimes depending on the tire I also get. Example. A winter tire. Every second block is worn down and the other is almost fine (on the inside). Also. Like in the pic you posted. It can sometimes look like that only it's sort of worn in a wave if that makes sense. Again... On inside tread only...

So you may have some toe and some camber issues. When you go to get your tires in April, definitely get an alignment done.The listing is for one side so buy 2 of them. 8thgen and 9thgen use the same part so no worries there....

Amazon product
View: https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-521-872-Suspension-Control-Select/dp/B00GJ1OP00/

The 8th gen and 9th gen civic use the same rear camber arms. That is the price for a single rear camber arm, so you'd need 2 of those to adjust the rear if for some reason the shop isn't able to get your rear camber closer to 0 degrees. Even if your current is closer to 1.5, I find it hard to believe your wearing that bad. There are people who run -2, -3 camber in the rear for performance who aren't going through tires that fast. If you can find your sheet, I'd like to see it.

So you may have some toe and some camber issues. When you go to get your tires in April, definitely get an alignment done.The listing is for one side so buy 2 of them. 8thgen and 9thgen use the same part so no worries there....

Amazon product
View: https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-521-872-Suspension-Control-Select/dp/B00GJ1OP00/

The 8th gen and 9th gen civic use the same rear camber arms. That is the price for a single rear camber arm, so you'd need 2 of those to adjust the rear if for some reason the shop isn't able to get your rear camber closer to 0 degrees. Even if your current is closer to 1.5, I find it hard to believe your wearing that bad. There are people who run -2, -3 camber in the rear for performance who aren't going through tires that fast. If you can find your sheet, I'd like to see it.
Thanks for the info

So if I order a pair of those. That's all I need. No other parts etc?

Take it to the shop. Have them installed. And adjust camber to close to zero when having it lined up?

yes, that's correct. And it wouldn't have to be at 0 in the rear. A little bit of negative camber isn't bad. I'm guessing you have a combination of toe and camber out of spec currently.

You forget the worst tire wear part-the driver doing those smoky jump starts and slam those smoking brakes on hard too.

Thanks for the info

So if I order a pair of those. That's all I need. No other parts etc?

Take it to the shop. Have them installed. And adjust camber to close to zero when having it lined up?

Without seeing you current alignment specs there is no way to tell you if camber arms will help.
When you describe the winter tires wearing every other block, that could be due to bad shocks struts.
What suspension are you on. Does this happen on both left ad right sides evenly?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Front and rear. But. Especially rear. I still cannot keep tires on this car. It takes no time and the rears are cupping and wearing off on the inside. Creating rediculous noise and tire expenses. Suspension is all fine and the alignment is within spec I'm told. Twice. Are there any fixes? I've seen the previous Gen cars have tsb and I've read the following...

Rear tire cupping on 06 thru 08 civics is because of rear suspension geometry. TSB 1-008 reduced the rear camber from -1.5 to -0.75 degrees. That will still not fix the problem. I went for 3rd party adjustable camber arms and set the camber at 0.0 degrees and the toe at 0.0 degrees at no load. Have travelled lots of miles since and it seems to do the job well.
civic2001's Avatarcivic2001 , 10-25-2013 05:54 PM
Just a confirmation of setting the rear camber at 0.0 and the rear toe at 0.0 (no load) solved my 2007 EX cupping problem. That was in April of 2009. The adjustable rear camber arms were from SPC Performance PN 67470.

Any parts out for the 12+ cars?

can you tell me if that sound is this
View: https://youtu.be/bCAzr_QQdd0

Back