Alexandria, VA
Vehicle Model
Generation X
Body Style
Dad
DIY 2013-2015 Ambient Light Kit

ambient-lighting-kit-red-led_mid-jpg.2802
INTERIOR-ILLUMINATION-BLUE-LED_mid.jpg

This article covers the ambient light kit installation for model years 2013 through 2015.
Note: Photos shown here depict installation on a 2014 Si.

Application: Coupe and Sedan
Installation time: ~60 minutes

What you need:
  • Red Ambient Light Kit (08E10-TR0-100C) or Blue Ambient Light Kit (08E10-TR0-100D)
  • Philips screwdriver
  • Ratchet or open end wrench
  • Trim tool
  • Shop towel
  • 8mm socket
  • Masking tape
Let's Begin:
  1. Remove the glove box.

ambient-step01.png ambient-step01a.png

2. Remove the driver's dashboard lower cover.

ambient-step02.png

3. Attach masking tape to the dashboard in the areas shown.
    Move the shift lever to the N (neutral) position, and wrap a shop towel around the shift lever. This is to prevent scuffing when removing the panel.

ambient-step03.png

4. Remove the center lower panel (two self-tapping screws, four clips, and unplug the vehicle connectors, if equipped).

ambient-step04.png
    025_G_001.sized.jpg

5. Attach the fuse label (2A AMBIENT LIGHT) to the ambient light harness fuse case.

047_G.sized.jpg

6. Under the driver’s dashboard, align the green tape on the ambient light harness with the hole in the dashboard panel. Secure the ambient light harness to the dashboard panel with one wire tie at the green tape. If another accessory harness is already attached to the dashboard panel, route and attach the ambient light harness below the other harness.
    Secure the ambient light harness with one additional wire tie in the other hole in the dashboard panel.

Note: Keep the wire ties a tad loose so that you can easily adjust the slack later.

029a.sized.jpg

4_26_2012_7_18_28_PM.sized.jpg

7. Route the ambient light harness up to the switch lid opening, and secure it to the vehicle harness with one wire tie.

ambient-step07.png
    029b.sized.jpg

8. Unplug the vehicle 6-pin (5-pin on Si model) connector from the switch, and plug it into the ambient light harness 6-pin (5-pin on Si model) connector. Then, plug the ambient light harness 6-pin (5-pin on Si model) connector into the switch.

044a.sized.jpg

9. Route the ambient light harness 2-pin connector towards the center lower panel opening.

031_G.sized.jpg

10. Continue routing the ambient light harness to the passenger’s side of the vehicle. Inside the glove box opening, secure the ambient light harness with one wire tie at the location shown.

Note: You want the wire to sit above the metal frame as shown in the photo. This keeps it out of the way of the air vent actuator.

041a_001.sized.jpg

11. Install the ambient lights to the left and right brackets by rotating them into position.

ambient-step11.png

12. Install the right bracket through the hole in the dashboard panel and secure it with the 8mm flange nut, then plug the ambient light harness 2-pin connector into the ambient light.

ambient-step12.png

13. Install the left bracket to the instrument panel and secure it with one self-tapping screw, then plug the light connector into the light.

4_26_2012_7_21_59_PM.sized.jpg

040_G_002.sized.jpg

14. Test functionality by turning the light switch to the ON position.

15. Tighten any loose wire straps.
    Reinstall all removed parts.

16. If the ambient lights do not come on, check the fuse and all the connectors.
All done!

Last edited:
@jasonandre , how bright are your lights? I installed mine tonight and they really don't seem that bright. I'll try them out again when it's darker but I wanted to know what your experience is with them. Thanks!

Your DIY is great by the way. The only thing I did differently was in step 6 I ran the tie wraps through the slots instead of around the bar. It seemed a bit more snug. Great instruction. Very easy to follow.

• Staff
They aren't bright at all, unfortunately.
The problem is actually the lenses that come with them, not the LEDs themselves. Instead of blue lenses, Honda should have provided clear ones.
Some individuals have drilled holes in the the lenses to let out more light. Others have simply bought the blue LED kit to obtain the clear lenses.
You can read more about it here: http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/2012-civic-si-ambient-lights-red-si.4288/#post-66844

Thanks. I did see what others have been doing to improve the light output. I just wanted to get a 2nd opinion from someone who just installed them. I'm thinking I might drill out the center of the cap. It's hard to tell they're even there without any modification to them. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Pretty sure the button sizes on the newer interiors is smaller than the 2012.

Just bought a 2012 and a 2013+ kit, should receive it sometime next week.
I did a bunch of research to see if the buttons from the 2012 would fit on the 2013+ and some would say yes, some say no, so I will just have to see for myself.

I can then update this thread with my results!

There were a couple of differences between the 2012 kit and the 2013. Most notably the third light that went into the center console on the 2012 version was eliminated for the 2013 cars because of the center dash design. And it's been years since talking of this, I thought the buttons on the 2013 were slightly shorter than they were for the 2012, making the button not fit right. I could be mistaken on that but it's something that I remember reading about.

Could be wrong, dunno. Gilles seems to be working on figuring that out.

Just bought a 2012 and a 2013+ kit, should receive it sometime next week.
I did a bunch of research to see if the buttons from the 2012 would fit on the 2013+ and some would say yes, some say no, so I will just have to see for myself.

I can then update this thread with my results!
I'm curious to hear about what you find @Gilles LeClair

Back