2013 Civic Si - Head unit upgrade questions

DeToX07

Maine
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Okay, so I've just spent 2 hours reading posts about audio replacements and premium sound system etc (when I should have been working).

I have a 2013 Civic Si w/o Navigation. As everyone knows the audio leaves much to be desired, as such I'd like to replace the whole stereo system. That being said, I don't exactly wanna drop $2,000 in one go, so this will all be staggered. The first thing I wanted to do was replace the stock radio, with an aftermarket one, I've been considering the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX, using the Masetro RR to retain steering wheel controls as well as adding in some OBD2 information. That being said, if I 'only' replace the stock radio (at this time) will it have any negative effects on the existing speakers? I understand the stock premium radio is a non-amplified output to a shitty 300W amp under the passenger side seat. If I replace that with a radio that has amplified outputs will it adversely effect the existing audio?

At this time I'm not looking to get better audio, I'm looking to get better control and features out of my radio. I spend a lot of time on the road and the stock radio doesn't cut it for me. The future will see replacement fronts, rears, sub, and tweeters which will also come with replacement amps. I'm just hoping someone here can give me some insight in to replacing just the deck at this time.

On top of all of this, the only thing that I am a tiny bit concerned about is the harness, I am vehemently against splicing in to a stock harness, but I'm not opposed to making my own plug and play harness give I have the correct components. So if anyone can point me in the direction of a stock connector, with stock wiring that can plug in to the stock harness, so I can cut that up and custom make my own harness that would be super appreciated.

I'm familiar with car stereo's I'm comfortable with wiring/splicing and I have no qualms with panel removal, as such this will all be DIY. I'd just like to get some things cleared up before I drop $850 on the new deck, Maestro RR, and the stock navigation trim piece (gotta keep that carbon fiber look).

Thanks for any and all help.

P.S. - Sorry if these have been answered elsewhere, after two hours of non-productivity at work I figured this would be faster, and more detailed to my specific situation.

Since I'm in the middle of my own upgrade I'll give you my insights. I'm assuming you have the premium audio system without nav. I believe it's the same I have in my EX. Everything I've read, here and other sources as well, the headunit is not the bottle neck in this system. It's the amp. I wanted to maintain the stock look and function, but have better sound.

After reading through all of @Hillstones build thread, I decided to mirror some parts of it. Keep the radio and replace everything else. I started with removing the factory sub altogether. It wasn't adding anything to the sound profile anyways and didn't feel like removing the package tray 50 times.

After a lot of hemming and hawing, research, measurements, phone calls and what have you, i finally pulled the trigger on my interiors. I initially planned to install everything in one day, minus the sub (more on that in a second), but had some free time at work and installed my interiors. The sound improvement is already there, but you can hear it isn't where it can be yet.

I did purchase a Mercman harness, while pricey well worth the money for me. After more phone calls, research, reading, interneting and general aggravation, I finally found a used amp to pull the second harness connector out of for the rest of the wiring. I'm not big on hacking up harnesses. The more I can plug and play, the better.

While I have all the components in hand to complete the better part of the install, I haven't had the time to get it in. The sub is the big unknown at this point. While i do have a general idea of what I'm going to do, I haven't put a full plan together. I do know it won't be a drop in aftermarket. It will be an enclosed sub with proper air space. It will take me time to figure that out.

I know a lot of people still replace head units. From what I've seen the only redeeming factor about the premium audio system is the head unit.

I am wanting to upgrade my 2013 Si non-navi radio as well but can't seem to find anyone who has done it. I've been reading like crazy trying to get a solid answer.

All I want to do is swap the head unit out to something with Andriod auto.

I know I need the SI Navi trim piece, but what else? Since the Si has the external amp would i have to wire/buy a radio that has pre-outs for all channels? If so is there a wiring diagram for that?

I am wanting to upgrade my 2013 Si non-navi radio as well but can't seem to find anyone who has done it. I've been reading like crazy trying to get a solid answer.

All I want to do is swap the head unit out to something with Andriod auto.

I know I need the SI Navi trim piece, but what else? Since the Si has the external amp would i have to wire/buy a radio that has pre-outs for all channels? If so is there a wiring diagram for that?
You should be able to get your HU of choice, a mounting kit and wiring harness and Be done with it.

Even though my car has premium audio?

The premium Audio adds an external amp and more speakers as far as I know. The headunit is different from the base, but It shouldn't be anything overly complicated. If you want to retain steering wheel controls and such it will require another interface module. You could always have an online chat with crutchfield, they have a pretty large knowledge base.

The premium Audio adds an external amp and more speakers as far as I know. The headunit is different from the base, but It shouldn't be anything overly complicated. If you want to retain steering wheel controls and such it will require another interface module. You could always have an online chat with crutchfield, they have a pretty large knowledge base.

I would think I'd have to do something as the premium audio head unit is basically using pre-outs for all the audio vs a regular radio that is pumping watts out to power the speakers.

I am going to see what Crutchfeild has to say next week.

I would think I'd have to do something as the premium audio head unit is basically using pre-outs for all the audio vs a regular radio that is pumping watts out to power the speakers.

I am going to see what Crutchfeild has to say next week.

If I recall correctly, there is a harness from the pre outs to the factory harness. I could be wrong though.

EDIT:

Since I have a similar car loaded into my Crutchfield account I went ahead and chose an Android Auto headunit. Here's what came back for install accessories.
IMG_7299.PNG IMG_7300.PNG IMG_7301.PNG IMG_7302.PNG

Last edited:
I chatted with Crutchfeild last night, as long as the unit has pre-outs for all channels this is all I would need to wire it up. I am not sure what I would use to mount it inside the double din stock trim yet.

1 - Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter
1 - Metra 70-1730 Receiver Wiring Harness
1 - Metra 40-HD11 Antenna Adapter

Total would be $67. The most expensive part is the steering wheels adapter which if I get the Android radio I have been looking at it does not require the adapter to learn the controls so I'd be looking at $21 for wiring. I'd just have to buy the factory Si carbon fiber double din trim piece.

I am going to get one of these headunits after Christmas. They have 2 gigs of ram and more storage than most I have found. They are hundreds less than trying to buy a high end unit just to get Android Auto.

Amazon product
View: https://www.amazon.com/JOYING-Android-1024x600-Navigation-Bluetooth/dp/B01M670UWI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479956181&sr=8-1&keywords=android+double+din+2gigs

Amazon product
View: https://www.amazon.com/Double-Pumpkin-Stereo-Android-Navigation/dp/B01G6XRGBU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1480001159&sr=8-2&keywords=android+double+din+2gigs

I chatted with Crutchfeild last night, as long as the unit has pre-outs for all channels this is all I would need to wire it up. I am not sure what I would use to mount it inside the double din stock trim yet.

1 - Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter
1 - Metra 70-1730 Receiver Wiring Harness
1 - Metra 40-HD11 Antenna Adapter

Total would be $67. The most expensive part is the steering wheels adapter which if I get the Android radio I have been looking at it does not require the adapter to learn the controls so I'd be looking at $21 for wiring. I'd just have to buy the factory Si carbon fiber double din trim piece.

I am going to get one of these headunits after Christmas. They have 2 gigs of ram and more storage than most I have found. They are hundreds less than trying to buy a high end unit just to get Android Auto.

Any update what you ended up doing?

Any update what you ended up doing?

Traded the car for this.

Typerrr.jpg

Back