2013 Si - Order of Mods

carpenj

Monroe, LA
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Hey everyone, I picked up a 2013 Civic Si sedan about 2 weeks ago and I'm loving it (my first brand new car ever, finally after being out of college nearly 2 years!). I'm planning on doing one performance mod now, the other probably after tax season, and then the 3rd in possibly a year or so.

The three performance mods I'm wanting to do are the K&N Typhoon intake, a downpipe, and FlashPro. I've read that the CAI/SRI's can actually reduce horsepower without a tune, so might the downpipe be a better first option? I know I could do the FlashPro first, but then I'd have to pay for retunes when I do the other 2 (or more) mods in the future...but I'm open to that as well.

What do you all think?

You'll see some gains with all of the options you listed. You'll just get increased gains when you get flashpro/tune. Downpipe will probably yield the largest butt dyno increase of power by itself.

Reactions: Nix
The intake is pretty safe to run on its own. Start there if you want. FlashPro is great on it's own also even with the car stock. It can definitely give you improvements over the factory settings. @squiggy has a pretty good build on his car. I can't remember if the DP gives issues or not without the tune. I think there should be basemaps available for FP with certain mods already factored in so you could get FP first and then adjust as you go until you get everything you want and then spring for the big final tune.

Thanks for the replies! With the Typhoon and no tune, should I expect any loss in low-end grunt with the car? If so, I may go with the downpipe first even though I'd love the sound of the intake!

You'll see some gains with all of the options you listed. You'll just get increased gains when you get flashpro/tune. Downpipe will probably yield the largest butt dyno increase of power by itself.
That's freakin' hilarious to read you giving serious advice with that avatar! Ahahahaha!!!! :rotfl:

The intake is pretty safe to run on its own. Start there if you want. FlashPro is great on it's own also even with the car stock. It can definitely give you improvements over the factory settings. @squiggy has a pretty good build on his car. I can't remember if the DP gives issues or not without the tune. I think there should be basemaps available for FP with certain mods already factored in so you could get FP first and then adjust as you go until you get everything you want and then spring for the big final tune.

Basemaps are very limited at this point in time, but it is alright to run the ReFlash map temporarily until you get all (or most) of your mods done. Personally, I would start with the downpipe, but you will throw an error code without FlashPro. The amount of restriction in the stock downpipe is absolutely ridiculous. You will notice more of a difference with this mod than starting out with the intake or exhaust.

Reactions: Nix
Thanks Squiggy and everyone. I'm still undecided, but that just gives me more time to save up I guess lol. I'm thinking that the FlashPro may be a good starting point since aside from comparing hp/tq gains, it will also let me do things like set the 'launch control' rev limiter, help eliminate some of the rev hang, and things like that.

Full coilovers should always be your first mod! Improves handling and increases speed around the apex of your turn. My mods are as follows.
-Megan EZ street full coilovers
-Emusa Camber kits
-Progress 22mm rear sway bar
-front and rear lower tie bars.

Those mods alone made the car feel like a totally different car and became less prone to understeer. I highly recommending doing suspension mods before performance mods.

Then after those mods I went
-skunk2 Alpha header
-greddy momentum intake

Noticeable power gains with those mods. Planning on going full-race 3in cat back with a nice tune by Vit.

I agree with Panda Sauce on this one. Suspension makes a huge difference and you can't go wrong by starting there. It also prepares the car to better handle/cope with the added power to come after engine mods. I'd say the most important thing is to do research and have a mod plan in place FIRST. For instance, if you're gonna do an RRC/RBC intake mani swap eventually it'll save you money to hold off on getting an intake until after the swap or buying a compatible intake before hand. Same goes for boost. The exhaust size and intake selection will vary depending on which route you take. So by having a plan you'll save yourself from having to re-buy parts or swap stuff out. But whatever you do, it's your money and your car so have at it! And congrats on your first brand new ride!

The "best" suspension mod you can do to this particular car is to upgrade the rear sway bar. Progress makes a couple very popular options. 22mm and 24mm. Instant better handling that you can feel right away.

Thanks for all the input everyone! The only suspension modification I can see myself doing right now would be the sway bar (at least until I see a significant pay increase lol). Even that would be down the road pretty far. I'd really like to get the car sounding even nicer than it is (but no loud exhaust), making more power, and running more efficiently first. I'm not so much into the car customization, I just see the things I plan on doing as making it exactly how I'd have wanted it from the factory. Auto manufacturers always seem to take what could be a truly fantastic car, and then produce a 'watered down' version to sell to the general population that is quieter, softer, etc.

Thanks for all the input everyone! The only suspension modification I can see myself doing right now would be the sway bar (at least until I see a significant pay increase lol). Even that would be down the road pretty far. I'd really like to get the car sounding even nicer than it is (but no loud exhaust), making more power, and running more efficiently first. I'm not so much into the car customization, I just see the things I plan on doing as making it exactly how I'd have wanted it from the factory. Auto manufacturers always seem to take what could be a truly fantastic car, and then produce a 'watered down' version to sell to the general population that is quieter, softer, etc.

E mail us and we can get you headed in the right direction with your car and all the future mods you want to do so you aren't wasting money
axionindustries@gmail.com

Do the K&N Typhoon it gives vtec a sweet Roar ! Then after my custom exhaust it really roars. I'm getting dyno tuned soon too . Question : do I need to buy a flash pro or can they usually flash for you when you get tuned?

You will have to have your own FP. They cant just use flashpro to load maps onto your ecu. There is a factory reflash available but it is not even close to the same thing. Do not think that some guy with a single FP unit can tune your car and then disconnect the unit and you still have the tune. Unless I misread your post that is what I take it you are thinking?

Yeah, the Flash Pro is tied to a single ECU. You can't unlink them until you flash that ECU back to stock, at which point you can link it up with another ECU because the first one is now back to stock.

Back