2015 Si Coupe SC or Turbo?

15WhiteSiGuy

How's it going everyone. I'm new to the group. I got my SI back in May and I'm looking to get a forced induction kit. But the dilemma I am having is which one. I love the sound of a good BOV and I know I can keep tuning the turbo setup but I know the supercharger will give me a lot better low RPM power. This will be the first turbo'd or supercharged car I will have. I am just looking for some advice or suggestions on what you guys would recommend. Thanks in advance for all the help.

There are people on the site that have gone both routes. You will find that the majority of the people that went the turbo route wind up with somewhere close to 400 hp. There have also been several cases where right around that power 4th gear breaks.

The supercharger setup, either CT-e or Kraftwerks, is popular on the 9th gen because of the reliability and because superchargers create boost almost immediately. Their downside however is heat. Compressing air generates heat and this can cause loss of power through heat soak or predetonation if not tuned properly. This is more prevalent in the CT-e kit because the blower dumps directly into the intake manifold. There is an after cooler kit to help with this but that adds additional cost to the setup.

Either way I recommend doing an abundance of research and chatting with members who have either of the setups and get feedback from them about their experiences.

I like my turbo set up. I feel that with a turbo you have more options to play with. Where with a supercharger, it kind of ends once you get to your horsepower mark. You only have a little room to play around with the power. I want to drive a supercharged ninth just to see the difference. I live in the city and don't drive on highways alot so I might have enjoyed a supercharger more. But I still love the turbo.
This is just how I feel:
--Supercharger- best for daily driver, city driving, may make less HP but you don't have to worry about breaking any thing either, louder, easier Install.
--Turbo- more power, more options, if you like to work on your car a lot and play around with the power, if you live in a rural area with few stop lights and more highways.

If you wanna get more than 300hp. Might wanna consider getting a clutch too while you're at it.

Reactions: Nix
I've had the personal debate between all motor/SC/turbo and it really depends on what you wanna do with the car. Personally this is my DD that I would like to keep for a while and not have insane maintenance or break things. So turbo is out the window even though I LOVE turbo's. Now between all motor and SC comes down to power end goals IMO. NA is getting around 220-240 whp from what I've read which is respectable, keeps same factory reliability and there's just something fun about NA to me. Until cams come out or other deep engine building the car kinda sits maxed for the most part and I want over 300 whp end goal. I wanna have something that can hang with most cars on the road and just be a fun manageable car. So SC is the way for me to go and honestly is the easier to do over a turbo and less headache trying to pry out more power from a NA build. Also the torque on a SC stays within the "no break zone" of our trans. My only other option now is a CT-e roots style or kraftwerks centrifugal style and I'm still debating. SC sit maxed around 320-350 I believe depending on setup which is perfect.

Also looking for updates/lurking here. I know I want to go the SC route, but am not sure about CT-E vs KW. Originally I wanted KW because of the better power gains, but now I like the sound of the CT-E better and know that it gets about the same gains for the same amount of money with Vit's aftercooler. Are there any additional gains to be had via upgrades with the CT-E kit? E-85 conversion is not really an option for me, and I realize this is the obvious route to get to 350+ HP, which is my goal.

Couple people recently had unit failures with Kraftwerks rotrex units. Haven't heard much issue on the CT-e

Back