ACUITY shift linkage bushings

Hella JDM

Hey all,

A couple of weeks ago, Russ at Acuity reached out to me asking me if I would review a set of this shift linkage bushings. I have Hybrid racing bushings installed already so I thought it would be fun to give a comparison.

Here is the packaging, I am a sucker for branding so I love the way the bushings are packaged:
10h8zyc.jpg

Contents of the package are 2 cotter pins, 2 retaining rings, and 2 bushings:
2cxuxab.jpg

Top of the bushings:
iwncdk.jpg

Bottom of the bushings:
m8ftw6.jpg

Initial impressions and install:

The smaller bushing looks very similar to the Hybrid Racing bushing set which isn't a surprise seeing as it is just a solid bushing. The larger bushing has a nice purple anodized color and looks well constructed. The outer portion of the bushing is plastic, with a gap on one side to ensure a snug fit within the cable. There are also two o-rings around the bushing to further ensure a snug fit.

Installation was very simple, for me I removed my Hybrid Racing bushings but for somebody who has stock bushings installed, there are lots of DIYs on how to remove those. Install was a breeze and fitment is perfect. I will get a picture of how they look installed, but I really like the purple anodizing and how it pops in the engine bay. Although less subtle than the Hybrid Racing, depending on the look you're going for, the Acuity bushings scream "modified" which doesn't hurt my feelings at all, although some might prefer a more stealthy look.

As far as feel goes, I can only compare them to my Hybrid Racing bushings as I have had them installed for a year or so. There is no difference to me in shift feel which is comforting. There is no slack or play in shifter feel and shifting feels very precise. I will continue to use them and update. I actually see no reason to take them off and put the Hybrid Racing bushings back on as the performance so far is identical, plus I love the look.

A big shout out to Russ at Acuity for sending me these bushings. If anyone is looking at upgrading their bushings, you cannot go wrong with these. Check their website out at:

ACUITY

I really like the look of these bushings. Kinda been procrastinating about getting some. Glad I waited, just ordered mine.

You will really like them. Here is another thought on the Acuity bushings:

The prices are comparable to HR, but the biggest thing that really stands out to me design wise is the outer part of the bushing. Hybrid Racing has a really nicely constructed bushing. It is a metal outer area that is CNC'd to fit within the cable. The downside to this is that there has to be although small, a measurable amount of slop as you cannot machine a bushing that slides in without being pressed, that also doesn't have any slop. Where Acuity takes it a step further, the outer bushing area is composite and accounts for the issue the HR bushing doesn't. It actually took a positive push on the bushing to get it into the shift cable, I really really like this aspect of the bushing, so it completely eliminates slop in this area. Russ is not new to the Honda scene or making parts, but Acuity has been pretty exclusively word of mouth. He asked me to try these and so far I am very impressed. Some more products will be coming out for the 9th gen that sound very promising. It is always nice to see new products for our cars.

BTW these are available for 8th and 9th gen Si's and the 9th gen R18

Some pics installed:

2irqc8i.jpg

33nvi14.jpg

doritl.jpg

So far, driving around for a few days, I am really liking it. Both bushings have no play within the cable housings. The Hybrid Racing bushings had the slightest amount of slop in them, with the larger bushing having a bit more. This is a really nice alternative that looks great!

I just installed mine. Gonna take it for a drive and find out what kind of difference this made. Also Russ emailed me directly to thank me for my purchase, which showed up in 2 business days by the way. That was pretty cool and I am looking forward to doing more business with him.

Last edited:
So first impression is wow. Honestly I didn't expect to tell much of a difference but right away I could feel it. The shifts feel alot more solid than they did before and the slop has just about disappeared. So far I am really impressed.

Glad you enjoy it. I am actually liking them more than my HR bushings. It cleaned up slop in the areas is mentioned and I can tell.

I still get a bite now and then but I have done every mod to this car as far as tranny/shifting goes. I really like Acuity above HR for the fitment. The HR bushing after a year feels loose on the spherical portion. Combine that with the outer housing slop, it doesn't take much slop at the bushing to translate into shifter feel. The outer housing of the Acuity bushing is under pressure so even had things wear, the spherical portion should remain tight over time in theory.

I still get a bite now and then but I have done every mod to this car as far as tranny/shifting goes. I really like Acuity above HR for the fitment. The HR bushing after a year feels loose on the spherical portion. Combine that with the outer housing slop, it doesn't take much slop at the bushing to translate into shifter feel. The outer housing of the Acuity bushing is under pressure so even had things wear, the spherical portion should remain tight over time in theory.
Yea.. I don't think we'll ever get that bite to go away.. I've done cable and base bushings, weighted shift knob, syncros, em1 cmc, Cdv delete, tranny fluid and dot4.. Still there but not as bad.. But i think I'll try this out too.. Thanks.

Weighted shift knobs help the most IMHO. I have a shift knob fettish but the one I use the most is my Skunk2 one because it's the heaviest. It makes shifting feel the smoothest.

Mike how long have you ha your EM1 cmc? I installed mine them removed it like a week later, just wasn't sure about it but I kinda wanna put it back on. I have MTEC shift springs, CDV delete, ss clutch line, CT engineering ss, base bushings and Acuity cable bushings. I might throw my EM1 cmc back on.

thinking about getting these for my manual R18, judging from your review they are great

my only concern is the cars still under extended warranty and I feel like if I ever have some tranny issue down the line they'l spot the purple bushings in the engine bay and blame them for any transmission/shifter failures since it's not OEM

I'm not mechanically inclined so I'll be getting an aquaintance honda tech to install them. So I wouldnt be able to swap the OEM bushings back in before taking it in to the dealer for a check up or anything like that

thoughts?

The only way they could deny any warranty work is if they can PROVE the problem originated from the aftermarket part. This goes for almost any aftermarket part. It would be very difficult to say any transmission or shifter failure was caused by an aftermarket bushing.

The bushings would have to be proven as the cause of the failure for you to have issues with the warranty. I'm very mechanically inclined but I can tell you that these are very easy to install. My car is still under warranty as well. I have an aftermarket intake so if you don't you'll have to remove your stock air box, but it took me 5 minutes to install these bushings. Not sure how different the R18 tranny is from the K24 though.

The only way they could deny any warranty work is if they can PROVE the problem originated from the aftermarket part. This goes for almost any aftermarket part. It would be very difficult to say any transmission or shifter failure was caused by an aftermarket bushing.
I dunno I live in Canada and the laws might be different. I've been harassed by my dealer's service manager in the past about my progress swaybar, demanded I take it off (they installed it) and claimed if I had any suspension issues I'd have no warranty on them lol

I'm scared :(

Also with the garbage Canadian dollar it'll cost me 125$ to have them shipped. Decisions....

Are these bushings the first and most important thing to add if looking to improve shifter feel without spending a ton in your opinion? Or is a short shifter kit/something else more noticeable for the money

Can't say about Canadian warranty laws but maybe @Pauly99to17 can. I wouldn't say they are the most important but they sure do make a difference. I don't know how much difference a short shifter will make compared to the bushings as I am still waiting for mine.

These bushings are a great buy for the money and you will feel a difference for sure. As far as warranties go, you'll have to decide for yourself if you want to do it. For me, I can pop the oem ones back on very easily. But again the bushings would have to be proven to cause whatever issue you're having. Getting bushings like these that are spherical are going to greatly reduce your chances of having any issues down the line. Solid bushings like the Coresport garbage bushings will put undo stress on the cables and cause them to break prematurely.

I dunno I live in Canada and the laws might be different. I've been harassed by my dealer's service manager in the past about my progress swaybar, demanded I take it off (they installed it) and claimed if I had any suspension issues I'd have no warranty on them lol

I'm scared :(

Also with the garbage Canadian dollar it'll cost me 125$ to have them shipped. Decisions....

Are these bushings the first and most important thing to add if looking to improve shifter feel without spending a ton in your opinion? Or is a short shifter kit/something else more noticeable for the money
Yea.. They are easy to install.. Check it out on you tube.. If you have problems down the line, just swap em back to oem before you go to the dealer..
I wouldn't say these (hr bushings) were the best solution to the shifter feel. But I did the cable bushings first then I did the base bushings and it felt a lot better.. I was surprised at how much better the base bushings felt then the cable bushings..

Back