DIY ADExternal's CS STI Style Lip DIY (Coupes Specs)

ADExternal

Lvl: 99 Modifier
Houston, Tx
Vehicle Model
Civic Ex
Body Style
Coupe
PIC_0209_zpsd3fd52b9.jpg

Disclaimer
9thcivic.com may or may not endorse various DIY projects, all DIY projects are purely "at your own risk". If you are at all uncomfortable or inexperienced working on vehicles (especially electronics and mechanical), please reconsider doing the job yourself. It is possible on any DIY to damage your car, void your factory warranty, disable a safety feature, create a hazardous condition, or harm or even kill yourself or others. Examples would be the vehicle failing on you, getting an electric shock, or disabling an airbag etc.

Your dealer or mechanic, or professional audio shop may provide services (and a warranty) for any DIY job posted on these forums. Sometimes, it’s just better to pay to have it done.

FAQs
Q: Is this DIY for all civics?
A: This DIY is for all Civic Coupe models but possible variate to Sedan. (Pic at the end of DIY)

Q: How much did this project cost?
A: Depends on how much of the tools you have already. Order the requiring Parts will est to 80$.

Q: Does it come painted?
A: No, the lip does not come painted or primed.

Q: What is the lip made of?
A: Depends which one you purchase, I purchased poly-urethane but there is also ABS which is more flexible.

Q: How long does this project take?
A: From start to finish, took me about 3 hours with complete dedication.

Q: Can I cut the lip before I rivet it on?
A: Yes, but it would be harder to measure exactly where to cut since you are flexing it.

Q: How many rivet/washers do I need for this project?
A: You will need min 17 rivet/washers but get at least 25 if you mess up.

Q: Can you remove the lip anytime?
A: Yes, but it will be at the cost of rivets.

Q: Is there an easy fix to the holes on the side of the bumper?
A: Yes, you can fill it with a little putty and use touch up paint from the dealership.

Q: How strong is the lip when driving?
A: I ran a constant 120 mph with the lip on after 2 weeks and it is still holding without any issues.

Q: How low does it extend downwards?
A: About 2.5 - 3 inches

Q: Does it crack easy or withstand scrapping?
A: With poly-urethane, under normal wear and tear it does really well for scraps and bending while holding it's shape.

Q: Can we use the same method in this DIY for the S204 STI Lip?
A: Yes, but the end mount application will be different.

Tools Required:
cgd0909DeWalt1_e1350409337289.jpg

- Hand Power Drill
16aa9791_2565_481c_996e_1f79754f8bd0_400.jpg

- Riveting Tool [3/16]
r23208v15.jpg

- Dremel
51_1779.jpg

- Phillips screwdriver
flat_head_screwdriver_image.jpg

- Flat-tip screwdriver
hex_set_w_ball_ends1194651017.jpg

- 5 mm Hex wrench
p4usYgt.jpg

- Ruler

marker.gif

- Marker

- Eye protection (recommended)
- Heat gun (optional)
- Clip Removing Tool (optional)
- Bumper stand or boxes (optional)
- Cleaning Alcohol (optional)

Project Parts:

Front Lip - 06-07 STI CS2 Style front bumper lip
Part Link - http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX-STI-2006-2007-CS2-URETHANE-FRONT-BUMPER-LIP-SPOILER-/190834172708?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make:Subaru&hash=item2c6e9a6324&vxp=mtr
Cost - $59.99 + Free Shipping
Shipping / Receiving Time (48 States) - 7 to 15 business days
Comment(s): There are several sellers of this lip on ebay. If you cant find one then just wait a week or so and it will be restocked. If you paid more than $70 shipped, you paid to much. Average pricing is 64$ and lowest is 59$ I've seen in the past 7 months.
Note: There are 2 lips for 06-07 STI, please make sure you have the CS2 or CS Sports Style and not the S204 Lip.

Rivet - 3/16 Large Head Rivets and Washers (50)
Part Link - http://www.ebay.com/itm/281099996259?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Cost - $14.50 + $2.27 Shipping
Shipping / Receiving Time (48 States) - 3 to 10 business days
Comment(s): I used 22 Rivet/Washer on this project including the ones I miss pulled. Actual amount on the bumper is 17. I bought 50 because it was almost the same price as 25 and you have more left for future projects or mispulls.

Prep Work (optional)

Step 1 – Lip Prep
When I got my lip, it was covered in a bit of oil from the manufacturer. I used a bit of rubbing alcohol to clean the entire lip down and made sure there was no cracks or abnormal bends.

Step 2 – Lip Color
This is a perfect time for you to prime and paint your lip if you want to color match it or just be different. This way you can get it in all angles. I personally used these at the bottom start with primer, then the base coat, metallize etc

adx1.jpg

adx2.jpg

adx3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Installation

Step 1 - Bumper Removal

adx4.sized.png

ad4.jpg

ad5.jpg

Step 2 - Measuring and Drilling the holes

Place the bumper and lip on boxes or stands.
x1.jpg

Make sure the bumper bottom area is cleaned off with rubbing alcohol or non oil solvent.
x2.jpg

Measure and mark a dot from the center of the bumper notch to the edge about 3.5" or a maximum of 4.5" This will be where you match the center of your lip
ad7.jpg

PIC_0167_zps30236b56.jpg

Measure and mark a dot from the both sides of the bumper that has the largest hole shown to the lip about 3.25" or a maximum of 4.25" These three measurement will be the mod

PIC_0168_zps559fb82a.jpg

ad8.jpg

So the marking should be close to this
x3.jpg

Then place the lip on making the same marking as close as possible. Advice is to find the center of the lip first and go out from there.
x4.jpg

The bumper and lip should look like this in the process.
x5.jpg

Take the 3/16 drill bit and drill through the lip. You can use different dril bit according to the rivets you buy.
ad9.jpg

Afterward, drill the marking from the lip, and make sure it hits the second marking on the bumper for best accuracy.
ad10.jpg

Make sure corresponding target is made. Do no redrill close by is unsatisfied with the hold. Instead move .25" and do another hold.
ad11.jpg

Step 3 - Mounting The Lip On

Take the 3/16 rivet and washers your purchased and insert it through the lip.
ad12.jpg

Look for the corresponding hold and pass it through that as well.
ad13.jpg

The rivet should stay in place as you get the washer to be placed on the other side.
ad14.jpg

On the other side you see this as the rivet is poking through.
ad15.jpg

Place the washer making sure it is firmly grounded and no debris or plastic is in the way
ad16.jpg

Firmly press the rivet tool on the other side while holding down the washer's edge and cramp/pull the rivet. Video example can be seen in Step 5.
ad17.jpg

You will soon after repeat and rivet areas that seem loose or should put pressure on. This is what I ended up with after completed rivet fastening the lip.
ad18.jpg

All the insides should look secure.
ad19.jpg

I ended up 5 on each side and one middle for the bottom mount.
ad20.jpg

Step 4 - Cutting Lip Ends Off

Step 5 - Fastening Lip Sides

Step 6 - Weld Lip Ends

Coming soon...

Step 7 - Reinstall bumper.

Up to now, if everything was followed, you should not need to modify anything to put your bumper back on. So just reverse Step 1.

Congrats, you completed your Custom STI CS Style Lip

ad1.jpg

PIC_0207_zps67116f1a.jpg

ad2.jpg

ad3.jpg

**End**

Sedan Install CS STI Lip

Photo Credits: @rs1customs
9f41f95d-f091-4b98-ae8b-95aa3cdb3811_zps7ae91380.jpg

Keep asking questions as I will add them to the FAQ for future references. I hope this was a decent DIY, if so I will do more in the future.

Can you see the vid now? Please let me know if this method is good, or I should go back to pictures and words. Its my first time doing a vid DIY.

The video is great and gives great detail. My guess is that everyone else is waiting for you to completely finish up the DIY prior to asking anything.

holy smokes... you have to post the finished product!!

i love this mod but imo the sides need something after you do this.

like the side skirt area you know?

this makes the entire front end beautiful. end of story.

like the side skirt area you know?

this makes the entire front end beautiful. end of story.

I thought about cutting the entire sides off as well but then it would leave a weird hollow gap. Also Im thinking to pair this up with the HFP sides which flows pretty nicely once I match paint it fully

Back