Aftermarket audio system, issues with distortion at higher volume

wpillera

Recently took my car to a shop and had an aftermarket system installed. I am disappointed with the way it sounds to say the least. I have a U.S. Acoustics Barbara Ann 400 watt amp, and Morel Maximo 6 component speakers up front.

Even with the amp on the lowest gain I get distortion when cranking up the volume. Its a hissy fuzzy kind of distortion. My determination is that the stock speaker wire is too thin. When hooking a speaker directly up to the amp, it sounds fine. I used an adapter to hook up to the factory wiring. Running new wire to the speakers sounds like a nightmare, and I really don't want to pay someone else to do it.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

They did run RCA with power which causes alternator whine, but it should not cause distortion. In addition I tested the speaker directly from the amp with a short wire to see if that was the issue and got no distortion. The amp is fine, because I tested another 4 channel amp and got the same distortion.

Positive and negative seem fine..

I would go ahead and just run heavier gauge wire if that seems to have fixed it. Are you running a civic with premium audio system? What amp and speakers?

If I run thicker gauge wire to all speakers I might as well strip the car to a shell and rip out the whole interior and take the fenders and doors off to run wire through the factory looms. Like I said, nightmare. Not sure what else to think here though. Someone else thats replaced their factory setup for aftermarket must have had the same issues, or am I just crazy? Sorry, just frustrated here not sure what to do.. Paid good money for the speakers and the installation so not willing to settle for less here.

Had some time today to get to work on the car, so I did. I ran all new wires for the rear speakers, and wow what a difference. It sounds fantastic in the rear now, just need to rectify the issue in the front. When I have time I will do it next week.

Actually had more time yesterday to finish the job. Wired up all speakers properly and professionally with 16 AWG wire. Sounds beastly now! So for anyone else out there who has a 2012 civic si and upgrades their audio system I highly recommend upgrading the speaker wire as well if your running an amp along with your setup.

Back